Pipes to troops

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
mightysmurf8201

Re: Pipes to troops

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Great idea! I would contribute were it not for the fact that I myself am deployed at the moment and don't have the resources to make anything.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

mightysmurf8201 wrote:Great idea! I would contribute were it not for the fact that I myself am deployed at the moment and don't have the resources to make anything.
Give us your units address. You guys will get some packages for sure.

Lance
Using Tapatalk
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I appreciate the thought Lance, however my unit will be home just before Easter, and the packages would probably not even make to us until we get back, so it may be better to concentrate efforts on the troops that will benefit the most from it. Having been there many a time I can tell you that it will do the most good going to a unit that still has some time left away from home.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I'll be sending 6 pipe kits to Kurt today. 3 are from me, and 3 are generously paid for by Pipedreamer
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Lancefisher51 - could you take the lead on finding a unit that could benefit from these? Feel free to engage other forum members as resources, Hit up all branches and widen the net. Let me know what you find, and I'll compose a letter to go with the goods.

All forum members - if any of you can't contribute pipes, cigars and dip (snuff) are always welcome as well.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

Yes I will get a units address. Shouldn't be too hard to find. I am also willing to contribute a little as well. I can pay for a kit or two from steve. Who will be the mailing the package?

Lance
Using Tapatalk
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'll take that responsibility.

I got Steves package yesterday. Great kits!
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Just an update - I've received TONS of great donations for our troops. Lots of high quality pipes, some great snuff, and I'm sending some pipe tobacco and cigars.

Keep them coming!

Any word on a unit (or units) that would enjoy these vices?
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

if no one chimes in, I have many many customers in various APO locations, let me know and I can get a list of people
DrewEstateSam

Post by DrewEstateSam »

There are cigar clubs in some of the combat zones. The guys at operation cigars for warriors (Ben Edmundson is my contact with the organization) passed the following along to me. The clubs would be the best way to send, that way real pipesmokers get to enjoy the fruits of everyone's labor, instead of sending to a unit where no one smokes a pipe, and it would go under-appreciated. Just my thoughts, if yinz guys want an address for a club, I will get one from Ben. I urge you guys to check out their organization, they take care of the people that take care of us by defending our freedoms.
Attachments
image.jpg
3/3
(169.49 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
image.jpg
2/3
(191.34 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
image.jpg
1/3
(168.82 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
DrewEstateSam

Post by DrewEstateSam »

Please read the images from bottom to top
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Sam, can you put me in touch with with Ben? (yeah, I'm going to go all manager-type here and delegate) Or procure address(es) that I can send these donations to?

I have, literally, a shitload of pipes, cigars, and tobacco that need to get to our marines, soldiers, sailors, and airmen.

--Kurt
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
DrewEstateSam

Post by DrewEstateSam »

Kurt I will have you his email tomorrow.
DrewEstateSam

Post by DrewEstateSam »

Kurt email sent including Ben on the email.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thank you, Sam! It has been a crap week at work. I'll get an email to Ben in the AM.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
socrates

Post by socrates »

I spent 23+ years in the military. The first two deployments were to a place you don't hear about anymore, Vietnam. I remember sitting in places in the boonies and getting packages from schools. It was AWESOME receiving letters and food stuffs we all would share with each other in our tent. A beat up old pot and kerosene stove from the vil bubbling away with c-rats and treasures from the kids back home tasted better than one could imagine. Knowing folks cared about you helped with your deployments. Sending pipes to the troops is fantastic. I belong to the "Advanced Guard" helping those that have come home. Sending things to those in country says a lot to them. For those that have served know and for those that haven't trust me when I say it makes your heart feel good knowing people care. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

socrates wrote:I spent 23+ years in the military. The first two deployments were to a place you don't hear about anymore, Vietnam. I remember sitting in places in the boonies and getting packages from schools. It was AWESOME receiving letters and food stuffs we all would share with each other in our tent. A beat up old pot and kerosene stove from the vil bubbling away with c-rats and treasures from the kids back home tasted better than one could imagine. Knowing folks cared about you helped with your deployments. Sending pipes to the troops is fantastic. I belong to the "Advanced Guard" helping those that have come home. Sending things to those in country says a lot to them. For those that have served know and for those that haven't trust me when I say it makes your heart feel good knowing people care. Thanks for the info.

Socrates,
First off, thank you so much for protecting my freedom. Happy Memorial Day. Vietnam actually came up at dinner last night. It was my nieces birthday so I got to see my dad, a three tour, navy Vietnam vet. My hero. A guy he works with was asked by his brother in law to be there next month when he returns from deployment, along with all the rest of the family. Their boss has basically told the guy that he cannot go to welcome home his brother, because they are too busy at work right now. F him.
My pops is pretty pissed. When he came home from Vietnam there was no welcome for him. So much that his resume is on the streets. I hope you got a welcome home after all the sacrifice you made to keep us safe. Either way, on behalf of all the folks who a generation would not say it and all the folks who have been born in this generation who have had the freedom you and so many other have us. "Welcome home" to you and all the vets who hang out on these pages.

Sent from my banana phone.
socrates

Post by socrates »

E.L.Cooley wrote:
socrates wrote:I spent 23+ years in the military. The first two deployments were to a place you don't hear about anymore, Vietnam. I remember sitting in places in the boonies and getting packages from schools. It was AWESOME receiving letters and food stuffs we all would share with each other in our tent. A beat up old pot and kerosene stove from the vil bubbling away with c-rats and treasures from the kids back home tasted better than one could imagine. Knowing folks cared about you helped with your deployments. Sending pipes to the troops is fantastic. I belong to the "Advanced Guard" helping those that have come home. Sending things to those in country says a lot to them. For those that have served know and for those that haven't trust me when I say it makes your heart feel good knowing people care. Thanks for the info.

Socrates,
First off, thank you so much for protecting my freedom. Happy Memorial Day. Vietnam actually came up at dinner last night. It was my nieces birthday so I got to see my dad, a three tour, navy Vietnam vet. My hero. A guy he works with was asked by his brother in law to be there next month when he returns from deployment, along with all the rest of the family. Their boss has basically told the guy that he cannot go to welcome home his brother, because they are too busy at work right now. F him.
My pops is pretty pissed. When he came home from Vietnam there was no welcome for him. So much that his resume is on the streets. I hope you got a welcome home after all the sacrifice you made to keep us safe. Either way, on behalf of all the folks who a generation would not say it and all the folks who have been born in this generation who have had the freedom you and so many other have us. "Welcome home" to you and all the vets who hang out on these pages.

Thank you for the kind words. It's awesome how you feel about your father. My father was a Marine and fought in the Pacific and came home disabled. I am as proud of him as you about your dad. I came home with my battalion in the middle of the night both deployments. It was like we were sneaking home. I came home to my wife and son who didn't know me and my parents and sisters. No bands, parades or anything like today. Honestly though I was just happy to be back. I had 41/2 months between first and second trips. Not enough time to catch your breathe. Enough said about the subject. I thank you again for the kind words. Thank your father for me from another Viet vet.

Last edited by socrates on Mon May 26, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Yes, thank you again.

pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Your thoughts are moving and I appreciate you sharing them. John.