Another Eltang

General pipe discussion
bscofield

Another Eltang

Post by bscofield »

http://www.eltang.com/news/nyheds_visbi ... 2516984178

Does anyone (read Todd :) ) know anything about this pipe?

That really is a question for anyone... I just know Todd is most likely to know :thumb:
yellowking

Post by yellowking »

"This is not a knife." Very cool. I like Rolando's katana more, though.
magruder

Post by magruder »

I saw this pipe in Tom's room Thursday nite in Chicago last year. It is a fully functional pipe. It has a beautiful briar base and somewhere on the net is a photo of the whole work - base and all.When set in the base, it looks like a knife stuck nearly upright in a piece of flat briar. Quite stunning. Museum stuff for sure.
It has Tom's usual superb fit and finish and, as you can see, the wood is to die for.
The blade, I believe is Ebonite. The bowl area boxwood and that's ivory at the "guard" - I think that is what I remember. I don't recall that price except to say it was in the mid to upper four figures, if I remember correctly. :think:
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

The word unique is often thrown around haphazardly. But this is a unique pipe.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
ToddJohnson

Re: Another Eltang

Post by ToddJohnson »

bscofield wrote:http://www.eltang.com/news/nyheds_visbi ... 2516984178

Does anyone (read Todd :) ) know anything about this pipe?

That really is a question for anyone... I just know Todd is most likely to know :thumb:
Hey Ben,

The only thing I have to add is that it sold to a gentleman in Taiwan. There are several that Tom has made, I think--all beautiful.

Todd
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's awesome. Truly awesome. Man do I love that pipe....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
GarySeveryn

I own the Rolando Negiota "Katana" Pipe...

Post by GarySeveryn »

yellowking - So you really like Rolando's Katana pipe moreso than the Tom Etlang?

I actually commissioned Rolando to do the Katana pipe for me. He executed the piece with exceptionally little input... which at first greatly concerned me. But once he forwarded to me pics of his finished product... to say that I was over-joyed and awed at the same time, is a gross understatement!

Anyway, I'm not going to comment on which pipe I perceive to be better (the Etlang or the Negiota katana pipe). In a way... it's really like comparing apples to oranges :?

Wish you all well!!!
magruder

Post by magruder »

Can you please post the address to the webcam?
Thanx much.
yellowking

Re: I own the Rolando Negiota "Katana" Pipe...

Post by yellowking »

GarySeveryn wrote:yellowking - So you really like Rolando's Katana pipe moreso than the Tom Etlang?

I actually commissioned Rolando to do the Katana pipe for me.
Well, you are a lucy person. I like them both, but prefer the katana. To me, it's really nice how it maintains a relatively traditional pipe shape while incorporating every aspect of a katana.
GarySeveryn

Post by GarySeveryn »

Thank you yellowking; yes, I admit to being exceptionally lucky and appreciative of this fine Rolando Negiota piece. I haven't smoked it yet... and frankly, I doubt that I ever will (doing so with this particular pipe... just seems wrong to me).
[/img]
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

GarySeveryn wrote:I haven't smoked it yet... and frankly, I doubt that I ever will (doing so with this particular pipe... just seems wrong to me).
As a pipemaker that seems wrong to me!

Todd
bluesmk

Another Eltang:

Post by bluesmk »

Todd,
Yes, I agree!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
GarySeveryn

Post by GarySeveryn »

As a pipemaker that seems wrong to me!
Dear Todd and bluesmk: In actuality, I fully share your sentiments. In fact, several months ago I was in written correspondence with Mr. Negiota trying to obtain his thoughts about this very topic... his beliefs or concerns as the pipe artisian concerning a high-end pipe of his creation that might never be "utilized" for its intended purpose (so to speak). He sort of gave me a mixed answer **LOL**. Anyway, I told him that I would likely smoke the katana pipe once I had achieved the rank of 1st dan in Kendo (which is what prompted me to have the pipe commissioned in the first place).

I have an undergraduate degree in Fine Arts, with emphasis in Graphic Design (obtained more than 20 years ago from Michigan State University). I have a strong appreciation for all things hand-made and crafted. As a former artist of sorts, frankly, I have "philosophical" issues with the notion of procuring a craftsman/artisian object that was specifically intended to fulfill a purpose (in this case, a pipe that delivers tobacco smoke to the user) and which ultimately is NOT used for the purpose, but instead finds itself sadly sitting under glass... only to be gawked or stared at. I heavily lean towards the school of thought that "something" created for a purpose, should ultimately fulfill that purpose; be used and cherished in its performance of that purpose. Both of you know what I mean I am sure :thumb:

BTW Mr. Johnson, I am the proud owner of a 'Ramses' shape that you created in 2003... and I HAVE YET TO SMOKE IT!!! :oops:
GarySeveryn

But Since You've Brought this Topic Up....

Post by GarySeveryn »

Dear Todd Johnson: Since you inadvertantly brought this topic up... I'd really appreciate learing your personal viewpoints and thoughts about it. In your opinion:

Is there never an occasion, situation or circumstance when a pipe as a piece of art, should likely NOT be used as a smoking vessel?

Assuming that you have taken more than a cursory look at Rolando's Katana pipe, http://www.atelierrolando.com/pipes/Katana.htm
might you not agree... or at least being willing to entertain the idea that with a pipe of this nature... it's size (the puppy is 12 inches long and frankly, is more akin to an American Indian token/peace pipe), all the different materials used on it and how applied... that the pipe might truly fall moreso within the category of a piece for 'display art' versus functional art (which of course by any definition it absolutely is).

I'd really appreciate hearing what your thoughts are on this? And any other pipemaker/artisian out there reading this question, I'd love to hear what you have to say on this topic as well!

Respectfully,
Gary Sutherland
magruder

Post by magruder »

Smoke it upon achieving rank.
Smoke and reflect on the spirit and commitment required to make good cuts - in Kendo and pipe making.
Best of luck w/your studies.
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Well I'm not an artist or a pipemaker but I do hand-craft my bags and as far as I know there is only one bag I have ever made that is not now in current use. It was made for a partner in a NYC law firm about 15 years ago and he carried it every day until the day of his passing. It now resides in a glass case in the office lobby along with several other momentos of his career. I do beleive that even the fanciest of horse gear I made in the past is currently in use.

As to the pipe, if it was made to smoke, I beleive that it should be smoked.

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

From a functional standpoint some pieces are better suited for certain purposes than others. There has already been a discussion here about whether pipes like some of the ones mentioned in this thread are meant to be smoked. For my part, every single pipe I make is meant to be smoked; I can't control whether or not it is, only whether it is intended to be. From straight billiards to 15 knuckle bamboo sitters I engineer my pipes to perform excellently as smoking instruments. Again, long, heavy, or awkwardly shaped pipes are not very well suited to mowing the grass, but there is no reason that any pipe designed as such cannot be smoked. I'll leave the "shoulds" out of it though. Certainly there is no moral obligation for one to smoke one's pipes. If you think it better suited for display than smoking you should display it. Oh, and given the lovely weather, everyone here should have a gin and tonic before posting so as not to take anyone elses sentiments too seriously. :thumb:

Todd
marks

Re: But Since You've Brought this Topic Up....

Post by marks »

GarySeveryn wrote:Dear Todd Johnson: Since you inadvertantly brought this topic up... I'd really appreciate learing your personal viewpoints and thoughts about it. In your opinion:

Is there never an occasion, situation or circumstance when a pipe as a piece of art, should likely NOT be used as a smoking vessel?

Assuming that you have taken more than a cursory look at Rolando's Katana pipe, http://www.atelierrolando.com/pipes/Katana.htm
might you not agree... or at least being willing to entertain the idea that with a pipe of this nature... it's size (the puppy is 12 inches long and frankly, is more akin to an American Indian token/peace pipe), all the different materials used on it and how applied... that the pipe might truly fall moreso within the category of a piece for 'display art' versus functional art (which of course by any definition it absolutely is).

I'd really appreciate hearing what your thoughts are on this? And any other pipemaker/artisian out there reading this question, I'd love to hear what you have to say on this topic as well!

Respectfully,
Gary Sutherland
It is my opinion that once a customer exchanges currency for a product, said customer then owns that product, and he or she is free to use the product as intended by the manufacturer, or not.

If not, and assuming that the product comes with a warranty, then the customer may assume the risk of loss should the product at some later date be used as intended by the manufacturer, and not perform satisfactorily, depending upon the facts and circumstances of the situation.
jeff

Post by jeff »

ToddJohnson wrote:Oh, and given the lovely weather, everyone here should have a gin and tonic before posting so as not to take anyone elses sentiments too seriously. :thumb:
I'll pass on the commentary and the gin and tonic and substitute a nice 8 Anos Dominican Rhum on the rocks. :thumb:

Drink up!

Jeff
Last edited by jeff on Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

jeff wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:Oh, and given the lovely weather, everyone here should have a gin and tonic before posting so as not to take anyone elses sentiments too seriously. :thumb:
I'll pass on the commentary and the gin and tonic and substitute a nice * Anos Dominican Rhum on the rocks. :thumb:

Drink up!

Jeff
And I'll enjoy a nice glass of Yellow Tale Merlot while thinking about how SERIOUSLY I'm taking Todd's thoughts on pipe usage.

Crap! Maybe I need another glass....

Cheers!

:p