Figured I try a classic shape for # 6.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
i.keenum

Figured I try a classic shape for # 6.

Post by i.keenum »

So this is number six. It's a predrill Mark Tinsky kit with a prefab stem. I know the walls are a massive on this beast and it was a aesthetic choice I went with , never made a chuby pipe and wanted to give it a try. About 7 inches long with 1inch thick walls, bowl is about 3/4 wide by 1 deep. So let me know what you guys think about proportion of the bowl to shank thickness and and stem length. I thought I did the proportions pretty good for a chubby pipe but feel free to tear me a new one as it is my first attempt at a classic shape.. :D

The third picture looks bowl goes down below the stem shank line but I swear it's just my shoddy photography.

sandahlpipe

Re: Figured I try a classic shape for # 6.

Post by sandahlpipe »

One inch walls are much too heavy for my aesthetics. And the bottom of the chamber is still only 1/2" from the bottom, so it seems unnecessary to make the walls on top so thick. The stem and button appear comfortable. The saddle looks too long for the shape though. With the short, stout bowl, the shank looks awkwardly long. The bottom of the bowl does look absolutely flat. I think the profile would look more organic and graceful if it had a little bit of curvature to it. Otherwise, as a poker you can leave a heel just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Not much to say really other than it's not a classic shape. It looks like a typical 6th pipe. That being said, it's not the worst I've seen. Honestly, from here, if you're serious about being able to make a really decent pipe rather than an amateur looking pipe (and I don't mean that in a bad way because we've all been there), pick out a true classic shape and try to replicate it the best you can. Keep doing it until you get reasonably close before you attempt another shape. The exercise will further your skill faster than anything else.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Here's the thing about it; It's a pipe. Someone can put tobacco in it and smoke it, so it is what it was meant to be.
Now aesthetically speaking, its got a long way to go. Most of the points I would have are already covered, but for one thing it is a *massive amount of wood for a tiny bowl and thats not always a terrible thing but here it doesn't serve much purpose. Its just a bunch of wood without any particular aesthetic function. You could have cut the amount of wood in half and still have a pipe that pretty much looks like this one.
I saw where you were listing this pipe though and for the price you asked you can buy another block and make another pipe so I dont think you're going wrong with what you're doing.
You kept your lines reasonably straight rather than wavy and undulating, thats a good thing.
I definitely would want a taller bowl, especially on such a big chunk of wood.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Not too bad for Nr6. There's a lot of good things going. All you need to do now, is make some more.
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

I know it's a monster lol and it was definitely an amateur choice, but as far as the propotions what should I have have shimmed up to make it more classic shaped?

What would be a good next choice tried dublin and pot, should I try and get the pot shape right before moving on to another shape?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I would make another straight pot. Find a classic example and compare this pipe to it and set goals based on the comparison with the next attempt. The discovery will be more meaningful an exercise if we don't feed it directly to you. Make a pot that is closer to a classic shape and THEN we can help you fine tune it.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com