Is there a Gold Standard?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Is there a Gold Standard?

Post by Tyler »

J.Alexander wrote:Gentleman,

I am new to this and feel like a sponge trying to soak up all the information I can... I have always felt that if you are going to do something you should do it correct the first time... so with that in mind I look at the gallery here and check out all those posting there work and reading the comments (which I think are very good tool for learning what to do and not to do) I wonder is there a Standard for each shape? Is there a Pipe Bible that tells the exact dimensions and sizes of each and every pipe shape? Or do we stumble through making pipes better through feedback from this forum? Any thoughts?

Thanks~ Joe
Joe,

Sorry that I immediately de-railed your thread with my tongue-in-cheek suggestion of starting with a blowfish. I'm not in the camp of you-must-make-classics-to-learn-pipe-making (it's certainly one way to learn), but I don't really think a blowfish is an ideal starting point.

You in Tulsa? I'm in Edmond. If you ever want to come visit my shop, you'd be welcome. I always enjoy visitors.
wdteipen

Re: Is there a Gold Standard?

Post by wdteipen »

LatakiaLover wrote:
wdteipen wrote:Start off with a straight poker. Then, when folks start giving you advice on how to make it better, get all butt-hurt and make nothing more than the same crappy poker.
This... sounds strangely familiar.
Any resemblance to real life persons is purely coincidental. :twisted:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com