Craggy Apple

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sandahlpipe

Craggy Apple

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'm taking Scottie's point here and giving you a fresh pipe to critique. I won't be posting every pipe here, because most of the time, there are enough things that I see I need to fix to keep me busy.

This, as most of my pipes have been as of late, was a commission. Feel free to be as honest as you wish.

---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
wdteipen

Re: Craggy Apple

Post by wdteipen »

That's really nice, Jeremiah. I'm not really digging the flared stem saddle but it's very well executed and I'm sure it's a taste preference thing.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I have seen some people making those crescent moon buttons. I don't have any pipes with a button shaped like this, and I'm just curious why some people cut them this way. Is it more comfortable, visually pleasing, help with the smoking quality of the pipe, or other reasons?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

They're just... cool. :P

Like Wayne, I find the stem treatment well executed but not flattering. It's not a set of curves that matches any of the other aesthetic ideas of the pipe. You have a heavy bowl and heavily blasted, a very molten feel to the overall finish, actually. It's a very soft shape but masculine because of size and disposition. Then the shank terminates with this abrubtly flared stem that simply has no relation to the rest of the pipe. You do have a little bit of bowl below the shank, this might have been matched with a very subtle flare on the stem. Or clean up both and give us an austere pipe in that regard and let the bowl do the talking... there's lots of ways to do it and make it more harmonious.

So I would suggest that where you are at is you are making pipes probably fairly easily with correct drilling, good shank/stem fitment, etc, good fundamentals, and are now blossoming as an artist and you'll have hits and misses aesthetically as you try different combinations of shapes and ideas. I gave that shit up and only make straight billiards now. :D
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

kamkiel wrote:I have seen some people making those crescent moon buttons. I don't have any pipes with a button shaped like this, and I'm just curious why some people cut them this way. Is it more comfortable, visually pleasing, help with the smoking quality of the pipe, or other reasons?
A few people do it. I do it because it fits the curvature of the teeth and I like how it looks. It does take more work to shine the crease behind the button with a curved button.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Sasquatch wrote:They're just... cool. :P

Like Wayne, I find the stem treatment well executed but not flattering. It's not a set of curves that matches any of the other aesthetic ideas of the pipe. You have a heavy bowl and heavily blasted, a very molten feel to the overall finish, actually. It's a very soft shape but masculine because of size and disposition. Then the shank terminates with this abrubtly flared stem that simply has no relation to the rest of the pipe. You do have a little bit of bowl below the shank, this might have been matched with a very subtle flare on the stem. Or clean up both and give us an austere pipe in that regard and let the bowl do the talking... there's lots of ways to do it and make it more harmonious.

So I would suggest that where you are at is you are making pipes probably fairly easily with correct drilling, good shank/stem fitment, etc, good fundamentals, and are now blossoming as an artist and you'll have hits and misses aesthetically as you try different combinations of shapes and ideas. I gave that shit up and only make straight billiards now. :D
I appreciate the feedback. The bowl doesn't actually go below the shank. There are a couple of parts where the blast makes it appear that way in the pictures. If you hold a card to the screen, I think you will see what I'm saying. I'm still working on making my blast technique better so as to not distort the lines and yet remain craggy.

I will consider your aesthetic remarks as I try to find my own style. I did the stem flare thing on the last pipe I posted here and got the same feedback, but still want to make it work. When no one else is doing it, it's either a feature or a liability. I'm trying to find a good way to make it a feature. Maybe I need to just ditch trying to do it on otherwise classic shapes.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

Don't listen to anyone about the flare being wrong. It's a great call. Don't do it often, but it's a good look to pull out of the hat every once in a while.

The button is too small. Well executed, but far too small for someone to comfortably clench. Keep the same proportions and thickness behind the button, but make it about 50% larger in every direction.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

bregolad wrote:The button is too small. Well executed, but far too small for someone to comfortably clench. Keep the same proportions and thickness behind the button, but make it about 50% larger in every direction.
That is not correct. The pipe itself is quite large. The button is about 17mm across and about 5.5mm tall. Tom Eltang told me to keep the button consistent regardless of the size of pipe, so that's what I'm doing. If the bite zone behind the button is tapered, I will make the button slightly taller, but it is quite comfortable for clenching the way it is. I get good feedback from my customers on the comfort of the stem.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

sandahlpipe wrote:
bregolad wrote:The button is too small. Well executed, but far too small for someone to comfortably clench. Keep the same proportions and thickness behind the button, but make it about 50% larger in every direction.
That is not correct. The pipe itself is quite large. The button is about 17mm across and about 5.5mm tall. Tom Eltang told me to keep the button consistent regardless of the size of pipe, so that's what I'm doing. If the bite zone behind the button is tapered, I will make the button slightly taller, but it is quite comfortable for clenching the way it is. I get good feedback from my customers on the comfort of the stem.
I think the button is a little too thin from front to back. I've gotten the same note for a while. The issues come in after long term use, so I'm told. Thinner buttons like this are more likely to get crushed and misshapen with clenching. Doesn't mean it doesn't look good or isn't comfortable.

Otherwise, I think just about everything here looks great, Jeremiah. Keep it up!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I've been making my buttons thicker from front to back as a result of the feedback I've received. I think it improves comfort as well as longevity.
Last edited by d.huber on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

sandahlpipe wrote:
Definitely keep the buttons consistent from pipe to pipe but I agree that you might want to make the buttons slightly larger. I received the same critique from two very well known collectors at Vegas a few years ago that my buttons were too small and they were concerned that, over time, the small amount of material taken off when they re-polish their stems that the button would melt away. I think the key here is that what might be right on the fine edge of comfort now might not be in the future.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Nice pipe, Jeremiah.

Not a critique, but just curious. Your chamber looks dark, but not like a typical bowl coating. Is there some kind of coating?
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

fiddlestix wrote:Nice pipe, Jeremiah.

Not a critique, but just curious. Your chamber looks dark, but not like a typical bowl coating. Is there some kind of coating?
I think what you're seeing is shadows in the bowl. If I don't coat the chamber, I sand it smooth to 1000 grit.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
BobR

Post by BobR »

I'm certainly not in a position to critique, but a long time pipe smoker I have to say the pipe is well done with a decent blast and nice stain. Well done!
Bob
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

For those who commented about the button size. I've got to mull it over some more. I like to deliver a pipe to a customer with the best comfort from the first smoke, so making it less comfortable up front so it will become more comfortable with modification seems backwards to me. Also, the button is thicker than it looks because of the curved button. I do appreciate the comments, though.

BobR wrote:I'm certainly not in a position to critique, but a long time pipe smoker I have to say the pipe is well done with a decent blast and nice stain. Well done!
Thanks, Bob!
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Jeremiah,
Not a lot bigger, just a little more meat on the button. I tried the same thing in making my buttons as small and streamlined as possible and, like I said, I took a beating over it at a show. A little bit more ebonite right there shouldn't affect the comfort level at all and I would hate to see you take the same beating I did.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

FWIW, I agree that your buttons are too thin. Of course, that's coming from a guy who tends to make his buttons too thick but I'm working on it. I think if we met in the middle between my usual button and yours it would be just right. :D
Wayne Teipen
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I also don't completely agree on keeping the button consistent from pipe to pipe. I cut the button to suit the size of the pipe. A large pipe with a small button looks out of proportion to me and vice versa. That's not to say it should be drastically different. It still should be comfortable.
Wayne Teipen
BobR

Post by BobR »

Guys, I really hope Scottie has started something here. The opportunity to ask a pro why they do what they do is priceless even if it's a preference thing. :)
Bob
Nate

Post by Nate »

NathanA wrote:Jeremiah,
Not a lot bigger, just a little more meat on the button. I tried the same thing in making my buttons as small and streamlined as possible and, like I said, I took a beating over it at a show. A little bit more ebonite right there shouldn't affect the comfort level at all and I would hate to see you take the same beating I did.
I was there to watch, he got all bloodied. And no, I didn't help, I just watched :D
SteveJ

Post by SteveJ »

I think it's a beautiful pipe, I love the reds and blacks, how did you achieve that? What process to get the double stain?