1st Pipe - wow I am bad!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Houncer

1st Pipe - wow I am bad!

Post by Houncer »

Hello all, I've read and observed for many months and suppose I should make my first post. I've been working on my first pipe for a little while now and before I continue I was hoping for a bit of guidance/suggestions from anyone willing to take the time and reply.

I got this as a pre-drilled kit from PIMO and aside from the initial cuts on a bandsaw, I've only used files, a 4-way rasp and sand paper. I realize my pipe is a POS but, with your suggestions, maybe I can make it a POC. Pictures make the pipe look worse than it does in person!

My original intent was to make a billiard but either the original drilling was bad, or, more likely, my carving ability is off. That being said, the draft hole enters the tobacco chamber 1/8" above the bottom of the chamber. I think I only have about 1/8" of wood (at best) between the bottom of my chamber & the outside of the bowl .

I have a couple of specific questions:

Using a file & sandpaper, what is the best way to keep a square edge at the top of the outer bowl? Does this ability simply come with practice?
Looking at the bottom of the bowl, it is apparent that the right side of the bowl as pictured is lower than the other side -- can this be balanced by filing/sanding more cheek into the opposite side?

I truly appreciate anyone taking the time to give me your thoughts.

-Chris

Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: 1st Pipe - wow I am bad!

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Keeping the top square is tough without a lathe but you will get there with practice. The bottom can be evened out with sanding but if you are close to the chamber it would be better to stop where you are if you plan to smoke it. I used a cordless drill files and sandpaper to make my first as well. It was totally embarrassing. but you will get better with practice. Keep hacking at it and post the results.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Take some more material off the top of the shank near the bowl. That will help the bowl look more distinguished. On your last picture it seems one side of the bowl has a good bit more meat than the other. You could take some of that off to even it out. Then...finish the pipe. Sand it down, stain, polish. Then go make another. Nice first attempt.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
BobR

Post by BobR »

FWIW, your pipe is definitely not a POS.
Bob
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Way better than my first. Keep them coming.
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

you are not bad, just new to pipe making. Nobody makes a fantastic looking first pipe (except Former haha)
The first pipe is a challenge in every way, because it's your first time shaping, sanding, coloring, buffing and so on.
I look forward to see the final result, and just take your time to make it as good as it can be :)
Houncer

Post by Houncer »

Thanks for the encouragement! Here is the finished product on this one. I have two more predrilled kits from Tinsky and then a dozen small ebauchons sitting on the shelf. I have a South Bend lathe I need to hook up but for now I will just stick to files, rasps and sandpaper. Oh, my next few pipes are just going to be straight billiards. :-) Thanks again!

baiguai

Post by baiguai »

I have no room to offer any advice, being a noobie still. But on squaring the top by hand - I've had the best luck by filing/sanding applying pressure where my edge needs shortened, and changing the angle I'm filing often so I don't end up filing crooked along another axis. And I check the progress OFTEN. I'm still not real good at it yet, but by constantly rotating the piece I'm filing it seems to get to a reasonably squared state.