First Lovat, and playing around with light box

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BrianMadsen

First Lovat, and playing around with light box

Post by BrianMadsen »

I just put together a light box.
It's not pretty, but it works, but I can see that i need some proper lights for it, but i just wanted to try it out.

The pipe is my first attempt at a Lovat shape. I my own opinion, this is the best pipe i have made so far.
I couldn't get a decent photo of the button. I used the Macro setting, but my wife's camera is not that great.

Anyway, you know the drill.

The last photo shows that the bowl is slightly uneven, but on this one i really spent some time on the bowl/shank junction.
I hope it shows.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: First Lovat, and playing around with light box

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Looks good. You could make two improvements with one correction. If you flatten the taper on the bottom of the shank all the way through to the bowl, you will eliminate the bulge on the bottom of the bowl and the distracting like of the bottom of the shank.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

When using a light box, try making the light shine on the pipe in all directions. You want to eliminate all the shadows. For my pictures, I need at least 3 lights plus an external flash to get the lighting even. Also, try using natural light if possible as this gives you the most true-to-life colors. If not natural light, use full spectrum light bulbs. They do cost more than other bulbs, but they are more accurate.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

Thanks for your replies, i appreciate that.

Sandahl, i know my light setup is too dark. .As i said, i just wanted to experiment a little.
But thanks for the input. If you guys have some recommendation for some good lights, then i'd love to hear it.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I just use a combination of desk lights and the clip-on construction lights with the daylight bulbs. It gives me adequate results.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

I use one light. But I'm not a photographer. I'm too dumb to be one, that's why I make pipes.
On a long shank, keep the sides straight, like ruler straight, with only a slight taper.