Canadian

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

Canadian

Post by scotties22 »

This is a commission for a member of the GKCPC that I got at the show last month. His instructions were to copy his Sasieni rusticated Canadian. I got close. The bowl is a little thicker than his and I am about a tenth of an inch longer. The extra thickness was on purpose because he wanted a deep blast. I left it thick wanting to leave myself room to blast it. I stopped earlier than I intended with the blast because I started to lose the ring grain....my setup sucks :D

And I don't know why I am leaving a little extra meat on the left side of the bowl (from the shank side) just on top of the shank. I did the same thing on the little pot I made a little while back.

His:
Length: 6.25"
Height: 1.63"
Width: 1.25"

Mine:
Length: 6.32"
Height: 1.63"
Width: 1.30"

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
JMG

Re: Canadian

Post by JMG »

I will expect that natural color one at my house by week's end. Please and thank you.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

That's really nice work, Scottie. You're right, you got close. I want to see you do it again and nail it because you can.

To my eye, your shank has more overall taper (top to bottom and left to right) than the original and the bowl seems to be canted father forward. The bowl on yours feels fatter to me, I think because the lower part of the bowl on the Sasieni tapers much faster.

Overall, if you're going for an exact copy, your pipe has some weight to lose.

Edit: actually, does the height of the shank at the bowl match the Sasieni? Looking at it on my computer now it looks like you got a little too thin towards the shank end.
Last edited by d.huber on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I think the bowl looks fatter because the back of the bowl (stem side) on the original is almost 90 degrees to the shank. Yours has a steeper angle, making the bowl look fat. The front of the bowl looks just right.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Yours looks much more graceful. I don't care for the fishtail, but you copied that from the original, so I can't fault you there. Good work!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

d.huber wrote:That's really nice work, Scottie. You're right, you got close. I want to see you do it again and nail it because you can.

To my eye, your shank has more overall taper (top to bottom and left to right) than the original and the bowl seems to be canted father forward. The bowl on yours feels fatter to me, I think because the lower part of the bowl on the Sasieni tapers much faster.

Edit: actually, does the height of the shank at the bowl match the Sasieni? Looking at it on my computer now it looks like you got a little too thin towards the shank end.
Mine is basically a heavier version. I left it a little thick because he wanted a really deep blast. I wasn't getting the effect I wanted so I stopped earlier than I planned because the ring grain was really nice. My plan was to really feather the blast up the shank to the stem....ssoooooo, I left some extra at the bowl with the plan of the blaster eating it away. The shank at the stem matches the Sasieni exactly. Just too much extra still at and on the bowl. I'm going to make another one soon and fix what I missed on this one.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

scotties22 wrote:
d.huber wrote:That's really nice work, Scottie. You're right, you got close. I want to see you do it again and nail it because you can.

Mine is basically a heavier version. I left it a little thick because he wanted a really deep blast. I wasn't getting the effect I wanted so I stopped earlier than I planned because the ring grain was really nice. My plan was to really feather the blast up the shank to the stem....ssoooooo, I left some extra at the bowl with the plan of the blaster eating it away. The shank at the stem matches the Sasieni exactly. Just too much extra still at and on the bowl. I'm going to make another one soon and fix what I missed on this one.
I look forward to seeing it!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice work! Your version looks much more like something Bing Crasby would smoke.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Excellent Replication!
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nicely done. I like yours better.