Canted Egg... 2nd "Scottie" Pipe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
scotties22

Canted Egg... 2nd "Scottie" Pipe

Post by scotties22 »

You like the name I came up with for these little pipes? Me too! :D

I think I figured out what to do with the stem on these. This one looks a lot better than the first one. There is a little pit right at the end of the shank. I didn't mess with it for a few reasons. The biggest of which is the flaw in the chamber that runs through to the bottom of the bowl. No worries....a little water glass and it's good as new. (I gave this pipe to a friend and he knows about the flaw and will be gentle while he breaks it in)

Just so there's no confusion.....You can critique this!!! :lol:

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
d.huber

Re: Canted Egg... 2nd "Scottie" Pipe

Post by d.huber »

I'd smoke it.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

It will be fine!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice work Scottie!!
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

nice pipe scottie.... too bad about the wood.. but as David said.. I'd smoke.. heck.. some of the pipes I've keep have been worse....

I've enjoyed watching your progression
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

I like it! Very sleek and classy. How far into the shank does the SS go?
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

N.Burnsworth wrote:I like it! Very sleek and classy. How far into the shank does the SS go?
it runs all the way to the bowl.
www.ladybriar.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Nice job Scottie! :thumbsup:

If I may, I'd like to make an observation about composition. From a technical standpoint I see nothing wrong with this pipe. Individually all the parts look good, but I starred at this pipe for quite a while and something kept bothering me or seemed a bit off. As usual when something like this happens I put the image in paint and play with the lines and proportions. To my eye the entire composition benefits by shortening the stem by an inch or so.

Play around with the proportions some and see what you think.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Ocelot55 wrote:Nice job Scottie! :thumbsup:

If I may, I'd like to make an observation about composition. From a technical standpoint I see nothing wrong with this pipe. Individually all the parts look good, but I starred at this pipe for quite a while and something kept bothering me or seemed a bit off. As usual when something like this happens I put the image in paint and play with the lines and proportions. To my eye the entire composition benefits by shortening the stem by an inch or so.

Play around with the proportions some and see what you think.
You are quite right, Jesse. My ultimate goal is to get blocks that about an inch longer for these pipes. That way I keep the overall length and shorten the stem.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I think a longer shank would work.... seems the equality of stem and shank sort of unbalances the piece.

There's a little bit of Zeppelin in the stem, and not the good kind where Pagey is really lighting it up and Bonzo's hammering like a madman, but the kind that's fat and round. I put a straight line on the stem, the shine-line on your pipe curves out and away. Get rid of that nonsense and slim the stem down more, really refine it on a pipe like this and it will sing.

In the name of really being a badass critiquer guy, I'll say that I find the gentle washy blast quite compelling right till I get to the bottom of the pipe and there's a big jagged fissure and some pits. This shit happens, but it's also why we don't see a lot of this type of blast work - it takes remarkable briar (or a deft repair) to pull it off without a hitch.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!