Cherrywood

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

Cherrywood

Post by billiard »

Odd thing, on my pc and on my phone these pics look fine, however on my daughter's laptop and feedback from a couple folks on my mailing list they are too dark. It's already sold and on the way to the post office this morning so if the pics are too dark, my apologies.

Weight: 2.0g or 57g
Bowl Max Height: 1 13/16"
Bowl Max Width: 1 5/8""
Chamber .75" X 1 1/2"
Length 4 3/4"

On this last one you can see where the flaw was that caused it to be a black blast:

I'm open to any comments, critiques, questions, or dumb ass statements.

Thanks,
Bill

Edit to add - The button is under 1/4" and behind the button is under 5/32" ;)
wdteipen

Re: Cherrywood

Post by wdteipen »

I'd like to make a dumbass statement: the transition from the shank and bowl is too sharp and leaves them looking like two separate pieces instead of one flowing piece.

Aside from that I like it a lot.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
billiard

Post by billiard »

I started to disagree and say that this is loosely based off of a Becker and that's how he does it. I went to go get a pic to show you, like this:

Then of course looking at the pic I see exactly what you meant. :)

It's a small amount needed to be left but it makes a big difference... just like leaving too much does.

Thanks Wayne :)

Bill
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I would like to add a 2nd dumbass statement. The bowl could use a little more forward momentum. Maybe a little smoother stem bend. The pictures dont look dark to me.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Solomon_pipes wrote:The bowl could use a little more forward momentum.
Not in my opinion. I wanted it like this, I wasn't trying to do an exact copy and to be honest I very rarely see a pipe where the bowl sort of bends forward that looks good. Premal (I think) posted one that is the exception proving the rule to me ;)
Solomon_pipes wrote:Maybe a little smoother stem bend.
I'm sure your right, but I'm pretty happy with that stem to be honest, it's not the easiest stem to make and I rebent it enough times that how it turned out is exactly how it is going to be :)

BTW all: My "dumbass statement" was intended to be humorous. I'm not one of those "people persons" you see on tv, matter of fact I come off worse in person than I do online, but I do mean well, so no one take that wrong, it was just for the smile.

One final comment: I'm harsh on myself. Since the person who purchased my last pipe was traveling for a week I could not send him his pipe until this morning. The pipe in this thread didn't make me happy so I included it as a gift with the purchased pipe I mailed out this morning.

Until the next pipe I post,
Bill