I'm No Expert

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

Re: I'm No Expert

Post by Ocelot55 »

WCannoy wrote:Well, I do round them slightly, again to make sure they aren't sharp, but I don't take off a noticeable amount of material.
Roger that. Nothing to worry about then. I actually like the way it looks.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'm no expert, but not good enough to find fault with your work. Maybe someday I'll be that good.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Stunning. Have a good look at that volcano, boys. There isn't a lot of pipemakers that can pull that one off.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

This is such painfully obvious self promotion, I can't believe MM didn't think of this first! Or did he....?

I dig your photo setup Walt. It be purty!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:This is such painfully obvious self promotion, I can't believe MM didn't think of this first! Or did he....?

I dig your photo setup Walt. It be purty!
What did we agree on? Was it $20, or was it $25 for you to bump this thread? I can't remember...
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Walt, as You know I am trying to become a good pipe maker but with My untrained eye I would say You show a lot of promise and should probably stick with it, Norm.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Walt, I can say with all confidence your no expert............your better then that! :thumbsup:
Just beautiful work on ALL of'em sir! :mrgreen:
rdpipes.briar.club
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'll comment, as I think most seem reluctant to for some reason.

I think you stems all need to lose weight. They are convex in profile, and therefore heavy. Also, they get fairly thick pretty fast after the button. As one who clenches back in my molars, that's a no go for me.

I also don't get the smooth ring at the top of your blasts. I'm sure some like it. I don't. It grabs the eye and really distracts, imo.

On the bent egg, the shank is overly thin, especially relative to the stem, which appears thicker than the shank. Also, the line on the shank side of the bowl is relatively flat and doesn't make sense with the opposite side, Imo.

On the volcano, I'll go advanced: on the shank side of the bowl you pushed the line too far toward to bowl, flaming out the grain.

I think the straight-line widening of all the stems to the button gives a heavy feel. It's hard to tell the size in the photo, but I bet most don't need a flare. The stems are wide enough for the button. On those that might need widening, a curved taper would match the flow of the shapes better, imo.

On the blasted stack, I think it's too thin on bowl and shank. It look gaunt.

Obviously you know how to make great pipes, but you posted with a desire to get a critique (I think). Instead you were getting pats on the back like on most other forums. We can't let that sort of tomfoolery catch on here! :D
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

The beads on the bamboo, did you make them?
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Well I like more than your pipes. Well, you also do good pipes.
It is a matter of taste.
Best regrads.
Félix

Pues a mi me gustan más que tus pipas. Bueno, tu también haces buenas pipas.
Es cuestión de gustos.
Saludos.
Félix
Tyler wrote:I'll comment, as I think most seem reluctant to for some reason.

I think you stems all need to lose weight. They are convex in profile, and therefore heavy. Also, they get fairly thick pretty fast after the button. As one who clenches back in my molars, that's a no go for me.

I also don't get the smooth ring at the top of your blasts. I'm sure some like it. I don't. It grabs the eye and really distracts, imo.

On the bent egg, the shank is overly thin, especially relative to the stem, which appears thicker than the shank. Also, the line on the shank side of the bowl is relatively flat and doesn't make sense with the opposite side, Imo.

On the volcano, I'll go advanced: on the shank side of the bowl you pushed the line too far toward to bowl, flaming out the grain.

I think the straight-line widening of all the stems to the button gives a heavy feel. It's hard to tell the size in the photo, but I bet most don't need a flare. The stems are wide enough for the button. On those that might need widening, a curved taper would match the flow of the shapes better, imo.

On the blasted stack, I think it's too thin on bowl and shank. It look gaunt.

Obviously you know how to make great pipes, but you posted with a desire to get a critique (I think). Instead you were getting pats on the back like on most other forums. We can't let that sort of tomfoolery catch on here! :D
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Thanks for speaking up, Tyler. I'm glad we have a few experts here on the forum so the new guys like me can learn. Once you said what you did, I could see what you were talking about in the pictures. I just hadn't trained my eye to that level of detail yet.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

sandahlpipe wrote:Thanks for speaking up, Tyler. I'm glad we have a few experts here on the forum so the new guys like me can learn. Once you said what you did, I could see what you were talking about in the pictures. I just hadn't trained my eye to that level of detail yet.
It takes experienced eyes to critique experienced work. That's why I didn't comment either.

Thanks for the lesson, Walt and Tyler!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard