Tiny Dublin...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Tiny Dublin...

Post by JMG »

This isn't at all what I had planned for the block, but some flaws in the briar forced me in this direction. I would really appreciate your critiques and advice. Thanks guys.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Ocelot55

Re: Tiny Dublin...

Post by Ocelot55 »

This is a really nice shape. I think a step up from your previous posts. It still needs a little dialing in for the lines of the shank and stem to really flow well. The problem probably lies in your technique. How did you shape the stem/shank?
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks Jesse. I rough shaped on a sanding disc and from their tried to hone it in with files and hand sanding. I have to admit that I didn't take a lot of effort in the finish on this pipe. My airway didn't end up center of the mortise and so I had to ramp it. Unfortunately, I didn't do a clean job of that and just kept his one for myself as it fit the bill for my likes. Knowing that I didn't finish it out with the most concerned effort. :oops:

socrates

Post by socrates »

This is a very nice shape and I like it a lot.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I really like this pipe. Jesse already pointed out the main points so I won't add on.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Jesse, can you tell me what particularly needs to be dialed in with the shank so I can work on it next time? Thanks bud.

Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ok, so look at the way the shank and the stem flow, I mean really look. It may help to hold it up to a light so you can just see the silhouette. Can you see places where there was too much briar taken off, and others where too little was taken off? Your stem shank junction also isn't quite flush. When you shape a shank like this you have to shape it like it's one piece, however you have to be cognizant of the fact that ebonite is harder than briar and compensate during shaping.
JMG

Post by JMG »

I guess looking at it in light of your advice I think I should have had the top of the shank follow the same lines of the bottom a bit more. Maybe a bit more meat should have been left around the stem/shank junction and curve downward slightly towards the bowl...does this sound right?