Delrin Mouthpiece

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Multidimensional

Delrin Mouthpiece

Post by Multidimensional »

Honestly, has anyone ever tried this?
I was ordering some stuff for a pipe I've been commissioned to make and started looking for local suppliers for Delrin rod. I found a wicked plastics supplier who has Delrin/Acetal rod stock up to 3-3/4" diameters. So I was wondering if it would be possible to cut a mouthpiece out of a delrin rod? Any thoughts about heat resistance, biting comfort or anything of that sort would be appreciated as I haven't really worked with the material yet. But do you guys think it would be possible/feasible to do?
Cheers
Bryan
marks

Post by marks »

It is reasonably slippery stuff, so it may be difficult to keep the pipe from sliding around in your teeth. Also, I think it would lend itself to quickly developing teeth marks from clenching (at least it feels softer than vulcanite or acrylic to me in my hands). Plus, I'm not sure it will take a shine like vulcanite and acrylic. I've also heard that once you start sanding it, it is a bear to get out the scratches (I think I heard this). Of course, I could be wrong on all this.

If you decide to experiment with it, let us know your results.
alexanderfrese

Re: Delrin Mouthpiece

Post by alexanderfrese »

random wrote:…snip
Anyway the T-shirt is nice to have. :roll:
Just to expand my learning horizon beyond sheer pipe making skills:

Where does that T-shirt talk come from? Is it kind of specific? Is it common language? Is it a quote from somewhere? I once read about the origin of »close, but no cigar« (though I forgot what this was about over time…), I surely get the meaning of it, but I do like to know where those little pieces come from, that make a foreign language alive for me as a German.

Alex
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Normally, when you go on vacation to someplace you've never been, you buy a t-shirt or some other memento of that place. For some people it's a little silver spoon, for others a shot glass, or any one of any of the various sundries available at gift shops (coffee mugs, flags, knicknacks, etc). The most common thing to buy is a t-shirt, since you can wear it around and show people where you've been.

The full saying is "been there, done that, got the t-shirt". Basically, it's an assertion of your experiences - good or bad.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Thank you, Kurt, :thumb:

That gave me a clue. I thought the shirt to be a some kind of a giveaway for participating in a match but not getting into the top 3: »Been there, done that (tried my best), (but) I (only) got the T-shirt, (instead of the gold medal/fame’n’wealth/all those beautiful girls/the pulitzer price…)«

but did I get it right "between the lines" that the saying is used rather to tell someone that the given destination (be it a real place or whatsoever) isn't much worth of anything besides the T-shirt (or other crappy memorabilia – I hate those stores…)?

Alex
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

alexanderfrese wrote:but did I get it right "between the lines" that the saying is used rather to tell someone that the given destination (be it a real place or whatsoever) isn't much worth of anything besides the T-shirt (or other crappy memorabilia – I hate those stores…)?
Exactly right. "The t-shirt was the best part about the whole thing."

I feel that way about some places I've lived recently. :?

Kurt
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Ahem! That better not be a comment about good old Ohio!

Just because we had days with 80 degrees and sunny and then 14 inches of snow withing a weeks time doesn't make it bad! Yeesh!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well, not Ohio in general, but Granville, Ohio, yes. That place is just a horrible place to live.

Don't forget, I actually grew up on the Westerville/Columbus line. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hmmm, well Granville is pretty lame. I suppose you're forgiven.

And no, I didn't know you were a Wastedville native. Did you go to Wville North or South? And when did you graduate?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nick wrote:And no, I didn't know you were a Wastedville native. Did you go to Wville North or South? And when did you graduate?
I spent 6 months in Westerville North before my family moved to RI. That was my Sophmore year. My freshman year was spent in Seminary at PIME out in Newark. Public school was a huge culture shock after that....

I graduated from Scituate (RI) High in '89.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Multidimensional

Post by Multidimensional »

Random and Marks thanks for the tips, I tried it, abandoned it but kept the T-shirt :) not a bad learning experience... Boy talk about a hijacked thread though :D I've only driven through Ohio, never spent much time in the state itself so forgive me for not participating in the discussion. ;)
Cheers
Bryan
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Okay . . . what was the question? :dunno:
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com