#3 Smooth Zulu

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
swilly

#3 Smooth Zulu

Post by swilly »

Hey all,

I apologize for posting each and every one of the pipes I've made so far. Admittedly, part of the reason I post is a way to keep track of my progress and a place to write down what I think I did well, what I know I didn't do as well, and of course, to obtain any and all feedback.

My process: Shaped on a sanding wheel and fine-tuned with sanding sticks. Used images of Dunhill Zulus as my primary reference pipe. First mistake I know I made was by not staining after 220 to chase out all of the scratches. Instead, I sanded 120, 220, 320, THEN stained. USMC black after 320, sanded down to desired contrast with 400, then an overcoat of 2 parts Red and 1 part each of USMC Black and Dark Brown. I noticed several microscratches around the top of the bowl, but I could not do anything about it because I had very limited time. Additionally, the tenon side of the lucite stem had some scratches that I hadn't gotten rid of. What I need to do next time is sand the stem before sanding down to desired contrast. Otherwise, I'm too afraid of sanding onto the shank and ruining the contrast. And of course, I need to get some appropriate tools for shining up the mouthpiece.

Things I am proud of and what I can improve on:
I think I did a fairly good job of replicating an English Zulu. I probably could have removed some more material on the topside of the bowl/shank junction.

This was my first time with Shellac. I'm happy that the finish was so gloriously lustrous as opposed to the slightly duller finish without a thin coat of shellac/denatured alcohol. Unfortunately, there was a touch of blotchiness, so this is an area I must improve on.

Questions for you all:
I was aiming for Dunhill Bruyere. Clearly my pipe is too red and lacks the rich smokiness underneath. Any suggestions for obtaining the dark black with the rich brown/red on top? My black understain isn't doing it.

Any other suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

Oh, and the stem looks lightly smudgy because of tripoli/white diamond/carnauba and I made sure to wipe it off.

Thanks!

BrianMadsen

Re: #3 Smooth Zulu

Post by BrianMadsen »

I like the shape and color, but please, do yourself a favor and work some more on that stem! it's full of scratces, and therefore it looks kinda "dull"

... and maybe sand that chamber :)
Other than that, i think it looks fine
JMG

Post by JMG »

What Brian said. Also, it seems to me like a little more material could have come off the shank. Overall not bad though (except for all those scratches.)
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
swilly

Post by swilly »

Yeah..... poop. I really need to remember that I'm only halfway done with the battle after I've finalized the shaping, if even that. PATIENCE IN THE FINISH :banghead:

Thanks for the advice.

Best,
Alex