Ideas for pipe making swaps & group pipe making efforts

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Rat's, That will teach me to miss this section for a week! :(

Can't wait to see what you all end up with. Count me in next time on any of the options discussed. This sounds like a really fun project!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

sethile wrote:Rat's, That will teach me to miss this section for a week! :(

Can't wait to see what you all end up with. Count me in next time on any of the options discussed. This sounds like a really fun project!
Here's how not to miss a certain section:

search.php?search_id=newposts

Tyler
souljer

Post by souljer »

Didn't see this until yesterday, but I normally don't look in the General area.
So it looks like five of us are interested.
I don't think waiting 4 days is enough time to assume who may or may not want to participate.

I would be interested in doing this the next time something like this comes up.

Looking forward to many pix of what you all come up with.

Even though I'm not involved, here's another idea; this thread could be updated with pix of the progress as things... progress. I think it would be interesting and fun to see everyones input (and hands) as the pipe takes shape and becomes finished, as well as keeping the project current and this thread alive. You'll end up with a lot more people interested if the thread is around longer rather than the next post is Kurt smoking a finished pipe on January 28th or something.

I definitely think Kurt deserves the pipe. I was going to make him a pipe anyway, but was working on getting my skills up to standard first. After all, it's because of his and Tyler's work that I've learned so much about how to make a pipe.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Souljer wrote:
So it looks like five of us are interested.
I don't think waiting 4 days is enough time to assume who may or may not want to participate.
That's easy to fix: start another one and wait as long as you want! :D

No rules that there is only one thing going on at a time.

Tyler

P.S. I will say that if there were more people involved I don't know how we would have broken down the tasks. It was hard enough as it was getting what I thought were even divisions of both labor and contribution to the final product.
ckr

Post by ckr »

Looks to be at least 3 for a second team. Any more interested?
Fumo in pace :pipe:
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

I would be willing to try, though it would make it a transatlantic project with two rather expensive sendings. Hmm.
And – I will be moving in the end of January, I already packed my tools and will not be able to participate until maybe end of February.
Only steps (following Tyler's principle) I might throw in would be 4, 5 and maybe 2, due to lack of tools/experience.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
ckr

Post by ckr »

Regretfully, I feel I should decline task #5. My home is again calling for attention and I would not want to be a cog in the wheels of progress. Luckly there are several others that have expressed an interest in this effort. Perhaps the next time.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
souljer

Post by souljer »

Hello,

I had thought of what Tyler had said, starting another group, but I don't know if my limited experience and tools are up to the task of organizing such a thing.

I would at this point prefer to join the existing group or another and simply learn by participating and gain a little more experience first.

If no one else wants to or objects, I could do CKR's #5 job. That's final sanding, staining and waxing right? That I know I could do.

Almost happy new year to all!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sounds good to me Souljer. You are step 5 now. I'll contact Kurt. It could be that he no longer wants to participate due to family concerns.

Tyler
souljer

Post by souljer »

Hi,

I TOTALLY, TOTALLY, COMPLETELY understand. Sorta been there myself. No problem Tyler.

However, if he doesn't want to participate, could we still make a pipe for him amongst ourselves? Or do you want to put it on hold?

What is his step, besides smoking it? Pick the block and draw the shape? I forgot all the steps now.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I just heard from Kurt, and he is swamped with family responsibilities. He asked to step out of this project.

So here's the plan. We need a new "technician." Who wants to step up to the plate to take stage one, designing and drilling the pipe?

Of course, the pipe still will become Kurt's, and whoever does step one will not be expected to carry the full financial burden of supplying the materials. Each involved will be expected to pitch in some amount to defray costs.

Anyone?
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

If only I wasn't so busy!!!

Maybe next time around, and step 1 is a little too intimidating for a newby like myself anyway.

Sounds like a load of fun though.

Josh
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

bump...

Anyone want to do the design and drilling of this pipe? If not, I'll do it myself and send the block around.

Tyler
souljer

Post by souljer »

I was thinking about it, but I'm already doing the final sanding, staining, etc.

I was also wondering what design? If we're making this for Kurt, shouldn't we make something that he likes? That's why him starting it was perfect; he was not going to design a shape he didn't like.

Tyler, you've certainly got more experience than most, if not all of us, so it's up to you and you would of course do a wonderful job.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I'd be willing to do both steps if need be. God help us with what we'll end up, but I'll offer.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Hello All,
Thanks for the nudge Tyler!

Very sorry about Kurt's nephew, and completely understand needing to pull back from this. I was sorry to miss this on the first round and I'd love to take up the challenge of joining all of you now. I can't hope to bring the level of skill to the design, layout, and drilling that Kurt would have, but I'll give it my best shot.

Tyler mentioned an idea to me in an E-mail that he had for the design that I think is fantastic. Tyler, should that be mentioned and the approach discussed here, or do you fancy keeping that idea off of the forum? If so, we could take any discussion of that nature to E-mail. Of course, the final piece will certainly be a surprise anyway. Even more so now that I'm involved. :shock:

Looking forward to this a lot!

Happy New Year all!
Scott
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Scott,

Thanks for your willingness!

I prefer to keep the design quiet for now. We should probably take most discussion back channel now that the team is in place, otherwise this thread will get seriously long and onerous.

Here's the team:

1. Scott
2. Ben
3. Nick
4. Tyler
5. Souljer

The end product will be a gift from the forum to Kurt for his work in maintaining the site.

Tyler
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

I would be in for any one of them!
Is there enough of us really really inexperienced guys to consider a pipe on a beginners level?

I'd sure hate to screw up what was once becoming a beautiful pipe!
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Assuming that this one goes forth of course!
Nick

Post by Nick »

This project is moving forward already. You definately should try and organize a second one. Too much fun!