An Editorial

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ToddJohnson

Re: An Editorial

Post by ToddJohnson »

NathanA wrote:Todd,
I appreciate your candor and I have a few questions. And I am not trying to be an ass, I am asking these in all seriousness.

1)What do you consider a "pipemaker of any note"? Does it have to be someone who sells their pipes for thousands like you or can it also be someone who sells consistently in the 100-200 dollar range?

2)At what point did you consider yourself to have it figured out, both in terms of number of years making pipes and the number of pipes made? Was your first pipe a certified masterpiece or did it end up in the junk heap?

The reason that I ask is that I have no aspirations of being a master artist. I don't believe I have that innate artistic talent you were talking about. But I do believe (maybe mistakenly) that I have the determination and the ability to learn and adapt so that I might someday be able to make quality pipes that, hopefully, will make the hobby pay for itself and maybe one day be a source of some extra cash, but certainly not as a sole profession.

So I guess what I am driving at is two-fold. First, you have seen my posted pipes. I know the first few were bad, but I think I have made progress. Am I one of the ones who legitimately is wasting his time? (You can be honest, I won't be hurt. And even if you told me to quit I would probably continue just for my own benefit because I love the process, whether Todd Johnson wants to smoke one or not.) And second, what learning curve timeline should one reasonably adopt? If after a couple of years pros like yourself are still not commenting because the pipes are so bad and there is just too much to criticize, is it time to jump the shark?

Thanks for the advice.
Hey Nathan,

First off, I don't know if I've seen your pipes or not, so don't take my lack of commentary on them one way or another. I don't often look at the Gallery section of the forum. I will occasionally get a PM from Rad or Jeff or someone else that says "hey, look at this guy's pipe. It's really good." That's when I typically go there and check something out.

In response to your first question, I don't really consider that there's a "bar" to clear. Rad doesn't sell pipes for thousands of dollars, but I've told him time and again how impressed I am with his shapes, with his stem work, with his business savvy, and just by him, in general. Rad has developed a strong reputation within the pipe smoking community for high quality pipes with exceptional smoking properties. Rad makes and sells at least twice as many pipes as I do each year, so whether or not they cost thousands of dollars is irrelevant.

That said, consistently selling handmade pipes in the $100-$200 range doesn't say a great deal about one's skill level. It doesn't mean that hundred dollar pipes can't be exceptional, but usually they're not. Likewise, $4000 pipes aren't necessarily exceptional, but typically the market wouldn't value them so highly if they weren't.

Regarding my early work, it was crude and very much unexceptional. I knew it at the time, and I know it even more fully, now. Everyone has early work, and I've seen Nordh's that, had I made them now, I wouldn't have let them out of my shop. It's unavoidable. We all have a learning curve. The key to improvement, however, is knowing and accepting that your work is not where it should be, not close enough to the ideal in your head, or on your workbench. Just keep making pipes until you think you might know something about what you're doing. Make them until they're somewhere between decent and good. Once you get to that point--if you ever do--the critiques will start to make a difference in your work. If you can't tell that your pipes are bad, you're probably not going to get good. If you've been making pipes for three or four years, and they're still not very good, then you're probably not going to get where you're trying to go--at least not without some serious, direct, hands-on tutelage.

If, however, you're making pipes just for fun and all you care about is selling them for briar money, then all the above is completely irrelevant. I've said it many times before, and I will repeat it again here, making pipes should be fun, and if it's not then you know you're doing something wrong or that pipemaking just isn't for you.

In response to the question about Roger's pipes, I would simply say that anyone who has an eye for this should be able to recognize skill, talent, and creativity irrespective of the particular form or style it takes. I personally love Roger's pipes and the whimsy that's so apparent in them, but even if I disliked the forms I hope I could still recognize Roger as someone with great vision and a keene design sense--which he clearly is.

TJ
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I thought this was a place where one developed into a pipe maker, not a girlie man.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

What typically goes on in the Gallery is that one group of people who know very little about what a pipe should be offer opinions to someone else who knows very little about what a pipe should be. For the guys that do know how to offer criticism (constructive or otherwise) there's often either very little to say or too much to say to make it worth their time.
brandonbrooks wrote:I think this is completely the wrong attitude. If I were a top notch pipe maker and someone asked me for an opinion / help I would certainly oblige.

Again Brandon, you're in no position to pass judgement here. If you were a top notch pipemaker, you have absolutely no idea what you would do. My time is what I use to feed my family, and I try to use it as efficiently as possible. If it's going to take thirty minutes to critique a pipe that's barely even a pipe, there's just no payoff. It's not helping the guy who's just hacked out his third pipe, to talk to him about line, proportion, and balance because he clearly doesn't yet have the facility to put it into practice. We are all volunteers here, and our contributions are voluntary, not compulsory. This is different from a teaching situation wherein every student should receive equal attention, instruction, and help regardless of skill. In this situation the guys that show promise (not necessarily polish) are going to get the attention because it's a limited resource.
It serves no one's interests for the more skilled carvers to offer encouragement to the guys who are basically carving rubbish. Once the pipes get bette--and they will if you work at it--there's more opportunity for us to comment and offer helpful hints, but until that time, just keep carving pipes until they get better.
brandonbrooks wrote:So how are these new pipe makers that are carving “rubbish” supposed to know what to do to get better if pipe makers of note don’t help? How do any of us know that the “rubbish maker” won’t turn out to be the best pipe maker ever, but didn’t because no one offered any advice because they were too busy.

Pipemakers of note already have helped them. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and instruction that is easily mined. No one can know who will turn out to be an accomplished pipemaker, but those who are can't spend hours dealing with every single guy who picks up a pipe kit. I'm not sure what you're getting at, here. How exactly would your utopian pipe making forum work?
The creative aspects of an artistic endeavor are not especially intellectual and there's no formula to follow. Knowing what a beautiful pipe should look like is simple enough. There are lots of them out there. Find one and try to make your pipes look like that. If you can't recognize where you're missing the mark--or worse yet, if you consistently try to defend your mistakes--then no amount of constructive criticism on a single pipe is going to be helpful.
brandonbrooks wrote:If there’s no formula to follow why go get an excellently crafted pipe and try to copy it? That’s contradictory at best. Every musician has to study basic scales to know the building blocks of music. Scales are formulaic (basically simple audible math). This is true of any artform. It's why students want to study/apprentice under a particular artist. Learning the basics are very formulaic Knowing what a beautiful pipe looks like is one thing but execution is another. Why wouldn’t we want to see and help someone’s initial rubbish become better.

No, my friend, it is not "contradictory at best," you're just not getting the gist of what I'm saying. There are hundreds of beautiful pipes out there that are all made differently if equally well. My billiard is different than Dunhill's billiard, or Jody Davis' billiard, or Bruce's billiard, but each of us can make a beautiful billiard. If you try and replicate one or another of them, you will learn a great deal about how to make a nice looking pipe, but that's not a "formula" or a "recipe." You're right when you say that "knowing what a beautiful pipe looks like is one thing, but execution is another." If you can't learn the former, you'll never be able to execute. My point is that learning how to make beautiful pipes does not consist of knowing that on a particular pipe the "shank is too fat, or the bowl is too canted," or whatever.
brandonbrooks wrote:I appreciate you responding and well…frankly would have been disappointed had you not.

As I think I have made clear, your "disappointment" is of no real concern to me since no one here is beholden to anyone else. No one has any moral obligation to contribute to any particular discussion, and failure to do so should be no grounds for anyone's "disappointment." Shame, as you may come to find out during your parental journey, is rarely an efficacious means to affect positive change. We all contribute on whatever level we wish to contribute, knowing that each of us has a limited amount of time in which to do so. Speaking of time, I've used too much of it, and further participation in this thread during my work day would be irresponsible.

TJ
Last edited by ToddJohnson on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Excellent advice, Todd. Thank you. I totally agree about Rad's pipes. Out of all the pipemaker's I have looked at his pipes appeal to me the most. I have already purchased one and am saving for another.

Just to clarify, I don't sell pipes in the 100-200 dollar range. I have just seen several makers, who seem to be fairly well known names, whose pipes are always in that range (at least on smokingpipes.com).
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

bandkbrooks wrote:I think this is completely the wrong attitude. If I were a top notch pipe maker and someone asked me for an opinion / help I would certainly oblige.

So how are these new pipe makers that are carving “rubbish” supposed to know what to do to get better if pipe makers of note don’t help? How do any of us know that the “rubbish maker” won’t turn out to be the best pipe maker ever, but didn’t because no one offered any advice because they were too busy.
Gotta disagree with you here. This site is a public forum, and it just so happens to include some folks who happen to be some of the top artisans in the field. That said, it's not their job to help anyone else along, and it's not a fair expectation to hold them to.

If you post a pipe in a gallery and say "what do you all think" to a group of strangers, you may be lucky enough to have some strangers who know what they are talking about give you some feedback. Or not. You may just end up with a bunch of other people who are at or below your own skill level giving feedback which may or may not be any use at all.

If you had a personal relationship with a top pipe maker (let's use Todd as an example, because he's fun to pick on), and you called him/went to his house/sent him a picture on facebook and said, "hey, friend, I really appreciate our personal relationship and would be very much obliged if you would give me some pointers on how to improve my craft," that's a lot different than simply posting a pipe in an area where Todd may or may not be known to frequent and hoping he has some helpful advice. If he chose to ignore you or make a snarky comment at you then (as a guy who you know personally), well, you would probably need to reevaluate whether you wanted to be friends with a jerk like that. I know Bruce has to ask himself that question pretty much every day. :P

Assuming most new folks on this forum don't have that kind of relationship with Todd, it's kind of absurd to be miffed that he, as a total stranger, is not willing to stop his job (which is making pipes, not teaching new pipe makers which end of a lathe is "up"), so he can give personal pointers on how to make a pipe. If he wants to be a philanthropic person and share his wisdom, that makes him a great guy. If he doesn't, it does NOT make him a bad guy.

Try walking into some other business environment (like, say, the fabrication shop of a motorcycle shop like the one on American Choppers), and get miffed that the guys there won't stop their work to show you how to fabricate a nice looking motorcycle fender "because they are too busy," even if you do have the potential to be the best motorcycle maker of all time. That's an absurd expectation.

If you want direct advice from a pro pipe maker....send that person an email, or a PM, or give him a call and see if he is willing to invest his time (and therefore money) into helping you along. Don't just expect him to wait patiently for your latest attempt to surface in a public forum and for him to jump all over himself to respond to you with detailed and constructive feedback.

And when you DO get feedback, if it feels snarky or chippy or cranky or just plain mean, first realize you probably don't know the person giving that advice, so the tone being used could very easily be misinterpreted. The person may very well be an old codger with a bad attitude and a terrible lack of tact, or he could be responding quite candidly and generously to you, and his tone is hard to hear in a written forum. Along with that, when someone asks "what's the best way to drill my air holes" for the 900th time, that person is more likely to get the chippy answer from someone who has read (and maybe even responded to) that question 899 times previously.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

I think I have fallen into the category of not wording my thought well in some instances. All I'm asking for is, if you as a talented pipe maker are on the forum anyway, you may possibly have a moment to impart wisdom to a newb. I'm not asking anyone to give up their work day. I know better. Frankly I wouldn't normally have the time to be on here during the day either. I wouldn't dream of walking into someone's work day and ask them to stop what they normally do. I just think there is a wealth of knowledge here that is vital to the life sustain of our craft. I think many many of you have wisdom to share and I always find it sad when it's not. I'm not asking anyone to reveal proprietary secrets or anything like that.

Dang fellas I didn't mean to stir up the pot this much but this has been really good for picking peoples brains and I thank you all. I appreciate hearing everyone's opinion. You're never going to get a bunch of artists to agree on anything. Really I'm not a jerk. :oops:

By the way
The person may very well be an old codger with a bad attitude and a terrible lack of tact, or he could be responding quite candidly and generously to you, and his tone is hard to hear in a written forum.
You guys should stop picking on Bruce so much. That's not the right way to treat your elders.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

baweaverpipes wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:The biggest problem children don't even come around anymore.
Todd is still here :lol:
Naw, I banned Todd long ago. That's actually Random posting under a pseudonym. :ROFL:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

So how are these new pipe makers that are carving “rubbish” supposed to know what to do to get better if pipe makers of note don’t help? How do any of us know that the “rubbish maker” won’t turn out to be the best pipe maker ever, but didn’t because no one offered any advice because they were too busy.
The way new pipe makers get better is through making more & more & more pipes. There aren't any short cuts.

Until a maker gets to a certain skill level, no amount of critique is going to help, because he simply won't understand what the "maker of note" is talking about, especially if he's on his third, or tenth or twentieth pipe. It would be like trying to teach algebra to a 6 year old who's just learned how to add and subtract.

As more and more pipes are made, the maker begins to see things (he becomes visually literate) that weren't so readily apparent to him before. His pipes begin to lose weight, slim down and have better proportions. At that point critique can be understoood and the maker can put suggestions into action on the next pipe.

Far too many pipes that show up in the gallery are just impossible to critique. There's just too much going wrong.

Finding a fairly simple shape that you like and trying to copy it is the best way I know to learn, and you can do it all by yourself. Once you think it looks fairly close to the original, then put it in the gallery and ask for critique. And have a thick skin. :lol:

We've all been there. :wink:

As far as people being uncivil in these forums, I really haven't seen it excepting the times when a new pipe maker asks a question and then wants to argue if he doesn't like the answer.

The smelly ebonite hubub is just one example. :)

Rad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

ToddJohnson wrote:What typically goes on in the Gallery is that one group of people who know very little about what a pipe should be offer opinions to someone else who knows very little about what a pipe should be.
I agree with you here, Todd, but I also think this is a very important part of developing an eye for the craft. The Gallery is as much for the guys who are learning to "see" what makes a pipe work and what doesn't and being able to critique others work. Oftentimes, the advice new guys give is just reiterations of things they've seen the master carvers give in similar situations. The fact that they are repeating what they have learned indicates a certain level of growth in the craft.

ToddJohnson wrote:Speaking of time, I've used too much of it, and further participation in this thread during my work day would be irresponsible.
I'm disappointed that you've spent this much time and energy into responding to this thread when you could have been critiquing my pipes. :P Hey Rad, throw a guy a bone and tell Todd to go check out my pipes. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Naw, I banned Todd long ago. That's actually Random posting under a pseudonym. :ROFL:
baweaverpipes wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:The biggest problem children don't even come around anymore.
Todd is still here :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The real question here is are you Marvel or DC?

Thank you all for chipping in. Believe it or not, I really have enjoyed the discussion.

Ok, I agree with Todd :shock: we've spent too much time on this. As the chief instigator here I formerly request we all move on. Pleeeeeeeease.
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I would simply like to point one thing out that seems to be missing.
The time given on this forum is free.
Example: A pipe maker that sells pipes for $1000, on average and it takes 10 hours. With my 55 IQ, that tells me $100 per hour.
Consider the pipe maker gives 30 minutes per day helping. I believe that's $250 per week of free advice.
Now that's giving!
The time a pipe maker spends giving advice takes away from his family in lost income.
It's a fairly simple fact of economics.
So, whatever advice you receive, consider the above.

Thank you Todd. Thank you Rad. And.......all you other douchebag pipe makers that have given so willingly.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

One thing missing in your equations Brandon (and this as I slide from being the total newb to being the guy who answers some questions when he can, basically regurgitating answers he's been given), is that there's only a few qualified "experts" here, and there's a kajillion dopes posting piece of crap 1st or 2nd pipes and hoping that Johnson or one of the other big boys is going to come down out of the sky and say "Wow, this is a little rough but you've got real talent."

I feel like the "big boys" have only "bothered" to even offer me direct advice when I've gotten to certain levels. When you make 30 or so pipes, and you make a really, really bestest one, and you post it, and an established maker says "Hey that's not bad, you just need to tweak this and this and this and this and this and reshape this and this and this and this and take 1/2" off the stem and work on your finish." and it fucking deflates you - that's progress! But not every pipe warrants attention, or detailed criticism. As mentioned, these guys are giving up their time.

I try to stand in when I can, helping the brand newbies see what I now see, as I sort of bump and grind to the next level, whatever that is. But sometimes I don't have time, or sometimes a pipe is just awful and I don't feel like being pleasant that night, or whatever. So someone else can do it, or the thing can sit untended for a few days. Oh well.

I'm not on a pro track, and I'm not intending to be (just now anyway). I have the luxury of doing this as a hobby. I'm passionate as hell about it, but I don't have to "make money" doing it, thank God, cuz I'd be skinny and my wife would have left me for that rich Italian jerk who kept hanging around. I make pipes cuz I love doing it. I'd rather make pipes than ... just about anything.

Gunnar W-P (TotemStar) gave me some great advice a long while ago - he said "just make every pipe as good as you can". And that's what it comes to. Each one's a little better, or if you make a clunker, you at least can realize that it is so, and maybe not do it again. Somewhere between making an ugly piece of crap and making a copy of something nice is a guy's "style" but that don't happen for a long, long time. I don't think I've made a single pipe that a group of experienced collectors would say "Oh yeah, I bet that there is a Sasquatch. What a typifying example!"

Make a pipe, make a pipe the smokes good, make a pipe that smokes good and looks good. Then another and another until you're super rich. Nothin' to it!

Hangin' around with douchebags is just a bonus.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Sasquatch wrote:One thing missing in your equations Brandon (and this as I slide from being the total newb to being the guy who answers some questions when he can, basically regurgitating answers he's been given), is that there's only a few qualified "experts" here, and there's a kajillion dopes posting piece of crap 1st or 2nd pipes and hoping that Johnson or one of the other big boys is going to come down out of the sky and say "Wow, this is a little rough but you've got real talent."

I feel like the "big boys" have only "bothered" to even offer me direct advice when I've gotten to certain levels. When you make 30 or so pipes, and you make a really, really bestest one, and you post it, and an established maker says "Hey that's not bad, you just need to tweak this and this and this and this and this and reshape this and this and this and this and take 1/2" off the stem and work on your finish." and it fucking deflates you - that's progress! But not every pipe warrants attention, or detailed criticism. As mentioned, these guys are giving up their time.

I try to stand in when I can, helping the brand newbies see what I now see, as I sort of bump and grind to the next level, whatever that is. But sometimes I don't have time, or sometimes a pipe is just awful and I don't feel like being pleasant that night, or whatever. So someone else can do it, or the thing can sit untended for a few days. Oh well.

I'm not on a pro track, and I'm not intending to be (just now anyway). I have the luxury of doing this as a hobby. I'm passionate as hell about it, but I don't have to "make money" doing it, thank God, cuz I'd be skinny and my wife would have left me for that rich Italian jerk who kept hanging around. I make pipes cuz I love doing it. I'd rather make pipes than ... just about anything.

Gunnar W-P (TotemStar) gave me some great advice a long while ago - he said "just make every pipe as good as you can". And that's what it comes to. Each one's a little better, or if you make a clunker, you at least can realize that it is so, and maybe not do it again. Somewhere between making an ugly piece of crap and making a copy of something nice is a guy's "style" but that don't happen for a long, long time. I don't think I've made a single pipe that a group of experienced collectors would say "Oh yeah, I bet that there is a Sasquatch. What a typifying example!"

Make a pipe, make a pipe the smokes good, make a pipe that smokes good and looks good. Then another and another until you're super rich. Nothin' to it!

Hangin' around with douchebags is just a bonus.
As a Fellow Douchebag, I will say, "Hear Hear!"

Bruce Weaver is a Great Big Tallywhacker.

Uh, Uh, I meant to say, "Great Guy"! Did I really say "Big Tallywhacker"?

Drat. :roll:

Rad
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Bruce has a big tallywhacker? I don't even want to KNOW how you know that, Rad.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:

Of Briar and Ashes:
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

bandkbrooks wrote:Nathan,
.... I don't think it my place to be the "don't be a dick police". I am just not that combative any more. I wanted merely to make a social commentary.

Everyone has a right to an opinion. It's the delivery that sometimes is lacking in social decorum.
B2
And I have to say... everyone has a right to click to the next thread if they don't like the tone of the post or don't like the direction it is taking.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Thank you Kim. I truly apologize for starting a fire here. I don't know what else to say.

B2
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Dude, this is not a fire. This isn't even smoking. And if it does, Bruce can just come along with his big tallywhacker and take care of it for everyone.

I dare ya to post a pipe in the gallery Brandon. Double dog dare! :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Sasquatch wrote:Dude, this is not a fire. This isn't even smoking. And if it does, Bruce can just come along with his big tallywhacker and take care of it for everyone.

I dare ya to post a pipe in the gallery Brandon. Double dog dare! :lol:
Not just any pipe... a Billiard!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

I heard Bruce uses HUGE tenons in his pipes too. I mean, like, so big they crack the mortise.
:endofmankind:

Turner Pipes Website:

Of Briar and Ashes:
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Believe me I posted a carved one and only heard crickets. I would appreciate a look or two so I don't feel completely cast off the island :(
Sas & Kim I had already decided to try my hand at an honest to goodness Billiard already. So your dare is taken. I will see how many blocks of briar it takes to get to the center of the tootsie roll tootsie pop. I have a couple I like and also went to my local shop to do homework. I will finish my current batch of crap and do nothing but billiards for a while.
Any sage advice guys for someone that doesn't own a lathe. DON'T say get a lathe.
Anyone got some less expensive briar that's not complete trash they are willing to part with for a guy that needs practice?
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes