My first pipe in 2012

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sasquatch

Re: My first pipe in 2012

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah I can see that being a real easy pipe to drill wrong, those steep intersections are tough.

I like the shape - the big flat paddle on the back is sort of a surprise - from the side there's no real indication, so a guy is expecting a round "shank" all along.

Visually, I reckon the stem is a little long, or maybe just a little long for the particular bend you've got. But that's a pretty flimsy critique on a very nice bit of shaping, all told.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Growley

Post by Growley »

Sasquatch wrote:Yeah I can see that being a real easy pipe to drill wrong, those steep intersections are tough.

I like the shape - the big flat paddle on the back is sort of a surprise - from the side there's no real indication, so a guy is expecting a round "shank" all along.

Visually, I reckon the stem is a little long, or maybe just a little long for the particular bend you've got. But that's a pretty flimsy critique on a very nice bit of shaping, all told.
Thanks Sas, the stem did feel a bit long when I was making it (especially when I was hollowing it out :) but the pipe is a replication of a Tom Eltang pipe, and the proportions are pretty equal to his for the most part. I guess it it's too long I can just blame Tom :)

I've admired this pipe of his for quite a while. Mine is just a shadow of the beauty he created. I would have loved to own this pipe, but I'd have to sell my lathe to get it.
Take a look:

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Eltang's stem is curved differently though - much more a smooth bend that ends with the end of the stem. Your bend is much more singular and the stem ends with a straight section, which is what catches the eye.

I think it would be well worth re-heating the stem, heat the whole thing, and try for a smoother curve. I think you'll see a really interesting end result.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Thanks Sas, I actually did just that. These pictures were "pre-2nd bend". I saw that not only was my bend not quite as "bendy" as Tom's but it was also a little crooked. I reheated it and got a much nicer bend on it. It hangs really nicely on my chin now.

I almost thought about making another stem with a much larger button lip on the bottom so it would totally hang with out fear. Does anybody every do that type of thing?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I do, yeah. I'm of the opinion that a really bent pipe should have more of a button height than a straight pipe, and also this relates to the taper of the stem - more/fatter taper also requires taller button.

Have a look at Castello's full bent pipes.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Sasquatch wrote:I do, yeah. I'm of the opinion that a really bent pipe should have more of a button height than a straight pipe, and also this relates to the taper of the stem - more/fatter taper also requires taller button.

Have a look at Castello's full bent pipes.
greeted

Man, I just figured out that taller button with sharp taper thing on accident. And I coulda just asked. Geeez.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Brian, can you post one more pic with the re-bent stem? I'd like to see how it turned out.
Growley

Post by Growley »

andrew wrote:Brian, can you post one more pic with the re-bent stem? I'd like to see how it turned out.

Andrew,

Here's a pic of the re-bent stem. The change is subtle but it's closer to the original Eltang (on left).

Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

The only thing that differentiates the two is the colour and the fact that yours has a lot thicker stem in parts.

That's pretty incredible, Brian!
Growley

Post by Growley »

Ocelot55 wrote:The only thing that differentiates the two is the colour and the fact that yours has a lot thicker stem in parts.

That's pretty incredible, Brian!
Yeah, there are plenty of differences for sure. I just think it's fun to copy the pipes I like that I can't afford :) Tom's is way more elegant. Plus, I figure I if I copy crappy pipes, I'm going to produce crappy pipes, so why not try to copy great pipes. Eventually I'll develop a style of my own, but not before much more "copy work" so to speak.

I'm about done with my second attempt at this shape, and so far it's turning out better, a bit more elegant. This time I've been able to pick up on a few more details.

Thanks for the compliments.

Brian.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's a great way to learn, for sure. You pick up so many subtle details in shaping and just... how the pipe goes together, that it's pretty eye-opening.
andrew

Post by andrew »

That came out well. I'm pretty curious to see the next one.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Growley wrote: I'm about done with my second attempt at this shape, and so far it's turning out better, a bit more elegant. This time I've been able to pick up on a few more details.
A second one! AND its better than this one!!!!

I've always loved the ramses shape. The first one I saw was by Alex Florov. Although I must admit I'd rather have a Growley ramses than a Florov version, especially if it smokes as well as the other pipe I bought from you. (Plus it'd be much more comfortable on the pocketbook, I assume)