What's the Difference?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
RadDavis

Re: What's the Difference?

Post by RadDavis »

The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This means excellence all around, not just the smokablity of your pipes. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it.

Rad
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

RadDavis wrote:The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This means excellence all around, not just the smokablity of your pipes. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it.

Rad
Can we put this in the banner?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Cory

Post by Cory »

Welcome to my signature Mr. Davis.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

RadDavis wrote:The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This means excellence all around, not just the smokablity of your pipes. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it.

Rad

If there are no shortcuts then what accounts for the guys who get quick success? They seem to catch fire very early amongst the pipe collecting community. I'm all for hard work and earning your stripes but it's frustrating to see some guys getting so much attention right out of the blocks whether their work deserves it or not. What's behind this phenomenon? Have they been blessed by the pipe gods?
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

wdteipen wrote:

Rad

If there are no shortcuts then what accounts for the guys who get quick success? They seem to catch fire very early amongst the pipe collecting community. I'm all for hard work and earning your stripes but it's frustrating to see some guys getting so much attention right out of the blocks whether their work deserves it or not. What's behind this phenomenon? Have they been blessed by the pipe gods?
Like who, for instance? Most of the over-night successes were at it much longer than you might think. Also, it matters who your friends are. If you are best buddies with well known collectors like Rick Newcombe or Neill Roan, that helps. Also, some are "the stuff" in some arenas, and unheard of in others. The sticking with it part of things Rad talked about expands one into further arenas, and helps develop relationships with the "influencer" type collectors.

All that said, pipe making is like most things, some people are better at it faster than others. And, even with lots of practice, not everyone gets good at it.

I'd also add that there is lots of good advice on the forum about expediting the process a bit. I'd still agree with Rad, but spending time with a big-time carver seems to do wonders for new makers. So does going to shows.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Also sending Sasquatch tobacco from time to time is helpful.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sasquatch wrote:Also sending Sasquatch tobacco from time to time is helpful.
That is a much better answer than mine.

Dang it.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I just made a post very similar to tyler's. Obviously it didn't show
Up so I will paraphrase. Being in someone's shop and having their help and guidance will improve your pipes much faster than figuring things out on your own. They can make suggestions and take a hand in correcting things before they get out of hand. And if you are also going to shows with them and being introduced to others through them that will have a positive impact on you. I saw a pipe made by Sykes wilford (his first pipe) in the shop of and with the help of Tom eltang. It was a pretty nice pipe!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Wayne, there's something to be said for having a certain amount of pipes out on the streets too. A guy might make totally wonderful pipes, but if he only makes 15 a year, it's gonna take a LONGggggggggg time for him to get known in any kind of public way.

I've sold hundreds of pipes and there's still far more smokers, conclaves, forums, etc that have no idea who the hell I am than ones that do.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Tyler wrote:
wdteipen wrote:

Rad

Like who, for instance? Most of the over-night successes were at it much longer than you might think. Also, it matters who your friends are. If you are best buddies with well known collectors like Rick Newcombe or Neill Roan, that helps. Also, some are "the stuff" in some arenas, and unheard of in others. The sticking with it part of things Rad talked about expands one into further arenas, and helps develop relationships with the "influencer" type collectors.

All that said, pipe making is like most things, some people are better at it faster than others. And, even with lots of practice, not everyone gets good at it.

I'd also add that there is lots of good advice on the forum about expediting the process a bit. I'd still agree with Rad, but spending time with a big-time carver seems to do wonders for new makers. So does going to shows.
I intentionally didn't name anyone because I don't want to offend anyone or criticize their accomplishments or their work. You answered my question with the answer I suspected. It's still a shortcut. :wink: One I wish I had the skill set to emulate.
Wayne Teipen
Cory

Post by Cory »

So. I swung by one of my local tobacco shops (the one that specializes in pipes; the other two are mainly cigar oriented) to get their opinions on my work. I was expecting the guys there to be like "meh, your pipes are alright and need lots of work; sorry we want nothing to do with them." But they were actually impressed with them. Which both worried and surprised me. The owner actually told me to keep bringing stuff in because they were redoing their pipe section and may be interested in picking up a few. I also received a commission from one of the employees and he has since informed me that people are interested in my pipes.

Which brings me to my point: Wayne, you make better pipes than me...hands down. But getting in with the right crowds helps. Not saying by any stretch of the imagination that I am more successful than you (I don't think I am), but just giving an example of how easy it can be to peak peoples interest if you get in with the right crowds (i.e. a tobacco store owner).
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

wdteipen wrote:

Yes. :twisted:

Rad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

RadDavis wrote:
wdteipen wrote:

Yes. :twisted:

Rad

Thanks. That helps. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

wdteipen wrote:
Tyler wrote:
wdteipen wrote:

I intentionally didn't name anyone because I don't want to offend anyone or criticize their accomplishments or their work. You answered my question with the answer I suspected. It's still a shortcut. :wink: One I wish I had the skill set to emulate.
I suspect, when it comes to short-cuts, Rad meant that one has to make pipes to get good at it. There is no Matrix-like brain download to make you an instant pipe-making black belt.

Granted though, there are ways to get better at it faster. Like quitting your job and making two pipes a day for a year. That would work.

:D
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Tyler wrote:
I suspect, when it comes to short-cuts, Rad meant that one has to make pipes to get good at it. There is no Matrix-like brain download to make you an instant pipe-making black belt.

Granted though, there are ways to get better at it faster. Like quitting your job and making two pipes a day for a year. That would work.

:D
This is exactly what I meant. The more pipes you make the better you get, and the more pipes you get into the hands of customers, the faster your reputation will grow, good or bad. :)

Also, sometimes it helps if your daddy is a famous pipe maker. :lol:

Rad
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

wdteipen wrote:

Rad

Sometimes people don't realize that "quick success" isn't really quick. No one had ever heard of me when I won that first P&T contest and everyone was like, "Oh, that Talbert guy is popular, but he hasn't paid his dues"... and there was me thinking of the previous *years* I had spent working on pipes in solitude, making pipes with only my Dremel and a bench grinder, sitting in the freezing garage after work in the winter wrapped in heavy coats making pipes into the night. Often, "Paid his dues" really means, "He hasn't gone to shows and hung out with the right crowd and done the socializing kissing-up that we expect." It wasn't that I had anything against the collecting community, I've just never been a social person by nature - It's part of why I hardly ever go to shows. I really loathe social networking in a marketing sense. If I'm friendly with someone, it's because I actually like them, not because I'm trying to ingratiate myself with them because of their position in the collecting community, in hopes they will give me plugs. Some people appreciate that, others actually get quite pissy if they don't think you're sucking up to them properly. It varies.

Also, regarding being an "instant hit" - Speaking as someone who was one, it's a mixed bag. Too much attention really fast can be as difficult as it is encouraging, especially when you have to deal with the backlash against people who ARE instant-hits. I honestly don't think it matters either way, because the real test of being a good pipemaker is not whether you can get people to look at your first pipes, but whether you can get people to keep *buying* your work after the first 2-3 years. Getting started is easy - You're new, everyone talks about you, you gets lots of free PR, and everybody loves the hot new boy band. It's once the initial shine wears off that you have to actually survive on talent and work, which is a lot harder.

Things that help to be an instant hit - Being different. Showing people something they haven't seen before. Being "out of the box". I did that, Walt Cannoy did that, Nate King did that. Be more than just a craftsman - Be a personality that encompasses all that you make. Here's my advice, FWIW - You are not just making a well-crafted *something* to put on a shelf and sell. You are selling your entire life experience, outlook, personality, philosophy, and aesthetic sense, so do your best to be interesting. Your pipes are not pieces of craft that you make, they are you having an ongoing dialog with your customer. Say something cool.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Wonderful post.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

TreverT wrote:
wdteipen wrote:

Rad

Sometimes people don't realize that "quick success" isn't really quick. No one had ever heard of me when I won that first P&T contest and everyone was like, "Oh, that Talbert guy is popular, but he hasn't paid his dues"... and there was me thinking of the previous *years* I had spent working on pipes in solitude, making pipes with only my Dremel and a bench grinder, sitting in the freezing garage after work in the winter wrapped in heavy coats making pipes into the night. Often, "Paid his dues" really means, "He hasn't gone to shows and hung out with the right crowd and done the socializing kissing-up that we expect." It wasn't that I had anything against the collecting community, I've just never been a social person by nature - It's part of why I hardly ever go to shows. I really loathe social networking in a marketing sense. If I'm friendly with someone, it's because I actually like them, not because I'm trying to ingratiate myself with them because of their position in the collecting community, in hopes they will give me plugs. Some people appreciate that, others actually get quite pissy if they don't think you're sucking up to them properly. It varies.

Also, regarding being an "instant hit" - Speaking as someone who was one, it's a mixed bag. Too much attention really fast can be as difficult as it is encouraging, especially when you have to deal with the backlash against people who ARE instant-hits. I honestly don't think it matters either way, because the real test of being a good pipemaker is not whether you can get people to look at your first pipes, but whether you can get people to keep *buying* your work after the first 2-3 years. Getting started is easy - You're new, everyone talks about you, you gets lots of free PR, and everybody loves the hot new boy band. It's once the initial shine wears off that you have to actually survive on talent and work, which is a lot harder.

Things that help to be an instant hit - Being different. Showing people something they haven't seen before. Being "out of the box". I did that, Walt Cannoy did that, Nate King did that. Be more than just a craftsman - Be a personality that encompasses all that you make. Here's my advice, FWIW - You are not just making a well-crafted *something* to put on a shelf and sell. You are selling your entire life experience, outlook, personality, philosophy, and aesthetic sense, so do your best to be interesting. Your pipes are not pieces of craft that you make, they are you having an ongoing dialog with your customer. Say something cool.
Very well put, Trever. I can completely relate to loathing social networking and marketing. I'm just not good at developing relationships with people because I need something from them. That's what makes me a terrible businessman. And I'm not in any way criticizing folks who have that knack. My father is a successful entrepreneur because he is amazing at developing personable relationships with his customers. I just didn't inherit that trait. In fact, I'm quite uncomfortable and awkward in most social situations most of the time. It may well be my downfall as a pipemaker. My saving grace is that there are some people in the pipe community that I really do like and am more comfortable developing relationships with. It's just going to take me much longer because I can be difficult to get to know. Unfortunately, my second strike is that I'm really not that interesting of a person to get to know relatively speaking.
Wayne Teipen
Cory

Post by Cory »

Very well written and thought-provoking, Trever.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Wayne, I found you pretty easy to get to know. It's just that.... I don't like you. :P