Newbie presentation

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
giannilibrizzi

Re: Newbie presentation

Post by giannilibrizzi »

Good to know, I have been reading about the Delrin tenons, and like that idea, I very well may start that way!

Just a little question though: I was thinking of beginning with preformed Giudici stems, so can I use the Delrin tenons with those, or do they have a relatively constant measure on the tenon that is preformed?

Another question: I was thinking of buying a Oneway Talon chuck. Any major difference on the Oneway and Oneway talon chuck, or is it just the way you tighten the jaws on the piece of briar that differs? Are the no2 tower jaws the way to go, or do smokindawg jaws have the upper edge?

Sorry if I ask so many questions, but since I am buying all the stuff I need, I need that advise......

Gianni
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Thought Nate made pipes full time, clocks part time and repaired high end lathes for a hobby?
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
taharris

Post by taharris »

giannilibrizzi wrote:Good to know, I have been reading about the Delrin tenons, and like that idea, I very well may start that way!

Just a little question though: I was thinking of beginning with preformed Giudici stems, so can I use the Delrin tenons with those, or do they have a relatively constant measure on the tenon that is preformed?

Another question: I was thinking of buying a Oneway Talon chuck. Any major difference on the Oneway and Oneway talon chuck, or is it just the way you tighten the jaws on the piece of briar that differs? Are the no2 tower jaws the way to go, or do smokindawg jaws have the upper edge?

Sorry if I ask so many questions, but since I am buying all the stuff I need, I need that advise......

Gianni
All the Oneway chucks are quality made chucks, but your best bet may be the Nova chucks. With these you can pick up a set of tower jaws that will work fairly well for pipe making.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200040 ... w-set.aspx

The tower jaws will work fine for the most part, but you will quickly realize that the profile of the jaws limit your chucking options. The jaws are cut from a cylindrical piece of metal, so each of the jaws is concave, which limits the surface area you have for gripping Briar. If you are considering smokindawg's jaws you might want to ask him which chuck to get.

Todd
giannilibrizzi

Post by giannilibrizzi »

Thanks for the advise, I have been trying to get hold of him, but he doesn't answer my Pm.....patience Gianni patience!