Pointed Cutty "MacReedy"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sasquatch

Re: Pointed Cutty "MacReedy"

Post by Sasquatch »

Dear Yeti

Can I use the fact that I have a belt sander rather than a French wheel as an excuse?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote:
Can I use the fact that I have a belt sander rather than a French wheel as an excuse?
I always figured you Squatchy dudes just chewed your briar into shape with your fangs.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I know it looks that way. :thumbsup:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

The fact that you're Canadian is excuse enough. (No offense to Parks or Downie) :D
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

He fundamental is that it is negligible in view, the rest is inconsequential.
Best regards.

Lo fundamental es que es inapreciable a la vista; lo demás es intrascendente.
Saludos.
LatakiaLover wrote:
maxmil wrote:Only say that little distortion can fix in a few minutes.
That seems intuitively true---only an exceedingly small amount of aberrant material is in play, so removing it to achieve virtual perfection should only take a correspondingly small amount of effort.

The situation is quite the opposite, though. Each time the distance to the goal is halved, the energy required to get there is doubled. Toward the end of that graph, the x-axis (achievement) line is asymptotically horizontal, and the y-axis (effort) line is asymptotically vertical.

Give making a distortion-free pipe & stem a go if you are in the mood sometime, and report back your findings. :D
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

An appreciation that I respect but do not share.
Best regards.

Una apreciación que respeto pero que no comparto.
Saludos.
The Smoking Yeti wrote:The fact that a pipe is handmade should not be used as an excuse for a wavy line.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

These are my tools:

Estas son mis herramientas:

http://pipasmasso.blogspot.com.es/searc ... rramientas

Bast regards.
Saludos.
Sasquatch wrote:Dear Yeti

maxmil

Post by maxmil »

As we say in Spain, if you do not like my pipe, take cherries.
Best regards.

Como decimos en España; si no le gusta mi pipa, échele guindas.
Saludos.
The Smoking Yeti wrote:The fact that a pipe is handmade should not be used as an excuse for a wavy line.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

yachtexplorer wrote:I like the bend in the stem. Your shapes are creative and original. Keep them that way. Don't get trapped in the "tradition" of any one country's notion of what is a proper pipe. You have the right idea. Put your own name on it and make it the way you want.

If someone else tries to insist that if a pipe has a particular word in the name it therefor must conform to a rigid set of design specifications, that is their choice to make for their own pipes. Don't let them impose their design standards on you.
okay this was projected at me and you are taking it out of context. I merely said I wouldn't have bent it because a traditional cutty does not have a bent stem, whether that be English, Italian, or French. I said I liked the pipe! and obviously felix can do what ever he wants when making pipes. this is a pipe making forum, not a stroke everyones dick forum. I can voice my opinion on a traditional shape and not imply I think the pipe is ugly simply because it doesn't follow a set of guidelines. sheesh...

this is why the gallery is slowly dying... nobody can post a pipe without someone throwing a tantrum that has more significance to them than anyone else. just make pipes...

Evan
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

Well said evan!

Lance
Using Tapatalk
The Smoking Yeti

wisemanpipes wrote: this is why the gallery is slowly dying... nobody can post a pipe without someone throwing a tantrum that has more significance to them than anyone else. just make pipes...

Evan
I don't quite follow what your saying here(honest!) could you explain what you mean?

d.huber

Post by d.huber »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
wisemanpipes wrote: this is why the gallery is slowly dying... nobody can post a pipe without someone throwing a tantrum that has more significance to them than anyone else. just make pipes...

Evan
I don't quite follow what your saying here(honest!) could you explain what you mean?
I have the same question as Micah. I hadn't perceived that the gallery was dying at all.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
The Smoking Yeti

maxmil wrote:These are my tools:

Estas son mis herramientas:

http://pipasmasso.blogspot.com.es/searc ... rramientas

Bast regards.
Saludos.
They look almost exactly like my tools! :)

wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

d.huber wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:

Evan
I have the same question as Micah. I hadn't perceived that the gallery was dying at all.
compared to before (ie when I first started frequenting this forum) there seems to have been a decline in people showing their work on here for critique. I "think" that its because people don't want to get slammed or they don't think they are good enough. everyone has an opinion about shit, but when one person says "your OPINION is wrong" no one wants to say anything. it also seems that when someone posts a pipe, the threads get hijacked and people start arguing about something random or ridiculous. People, when conversing online, misinterpret others; tone and emphasis. This makes it hard to express things.

This probably doesn't resolve your guys question, but shit like that comment just irritate me. especially when I have nothing but respect for felix and someone tries to go out and make me look like im hating on his work and im trying to make him conform or whatever.... *sigh*

like I said, people should just make pipes.... post them on the forum for critique. accept said critique and appreciate someone took the time to write it. There obviously exceptions, like when an established maker is being critiqued by a beginner but you get the jist.

AND for god sake David and Micah, please don't make me rant again :P :twisted:

Evan
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

d.huber wrote: I hadn't perceived that the gallery was dying at all.
Maybe its not, I guess it just feels that way to me.
The Smoking Yeti

Alright, I think I agree with what you're saying!

I feel like the issue of valid critique has been hashed and re-hashed many times. I think people need to understand there is a difference between aesthetic preference and technical excellence.

wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:. I think people need to understand there is a difference between aesthetic preference and technical excellence.
This, Micah. I honestly couldn't have said it better. that is what I was getting at.
Alden

Post by Alden »

wisemanpipes wrote: when someone posts a pipe, the threads get hijacked and people start arguing about something random or ridiculous.
Kinda like this one? :lol:
Seriously, the comments George made are entirely valid.
Maxmil explained that he doesn't care.
That doesn't make George wrong, and it doesn't make Max wrong for not caring.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I gladly accept constructive criticism as both destructive, but influence is something like a tiny noticeable curvature only through a reflection in a photograph for me it is still nonsense.
Best regards.
Félix

Acepto de buen grado tanto las críticas constructivas como las destructivas; pero incidir en algo como es una ínfima curvatura apreciable únicamente mediante un reflejo en una fotografía para mí no deja de ser un sinsentido.
Saludos.
Félix
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

Alden wrote:
wisemanpipes wrote: when someone posts a pipe, the threads get hijacked and people start arguing about something random or ridiculous.
Kinda like this one? :lol:
Seriously, the comments George made are entirely valid.
Maxmil explained that he doesn't care.
That doesn't make George wrong, and it doesn't make Max wrong for not caring.
You know Ryan, as I was writing that whole thing of bullshit, that is all I could think to myself....obviously I wrote it anyway.

What George and felix did was great, they explained each others argument, George said what he had to say and felix accepted it and humbly disagreed. Awesome! its when people say stupid shit that things go astray. I get this board is all in good fun but there is a line in the sand between complete bullshit post about useless information that only starts unneeded confrontation, (Yak, MM, Random all come to mind, as well as, yachtexplorer's post) and actual constructive disagreements and suggestions/critiques.

I did not critique felix's pipe, I stated my opinion on what should be a traditional cutty shape. regardless of what has been said and what will continue to be said, I like the pipe and it is well executed.

Evan