Ordered my "dream lathe" EDIT: photos added

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ToddJohnson

Re: Ordered my "dream lathe" EDIT: photos added

Post by ToddJohnson »

Tyler,

Just talked with Matt at Quality Machine Tools, and he is just waiting on a parts list from you to replace anything that's been damaged in shipping. This is right in line with the level of service I've come to expect from these guys. Again, I don't necessarily disagree with all the "don't buy a Chinese lathe" sentiments in this thread, but these guys, and these machines are different. All of my experiences with them have been excellent.

For what it's worth, China, like the US, is a big country, and while many machines that are built in China are cheap and flimsy, others are built to the highest standards of quality and precision. It matters a great deal more which factory a machine was made in than its country of origin. Anybody that's ever had to pick up the business end of a Jet BD 920N and its Grizzly equivalent can tell you that, while both machines are made in Asia, the Jet weighs about fifty or sixty pounds more. These still aren't great machines--in fact, I hate them--but my point is that there are different grades and levels of quality for the "same" machine.

TJ

P.S. For those conspiracy theorists amongst us, let me just add a disclaimer that I am in no way associated with Precision Matthews, I do not get a "kick back" for singing their praises, and I receive no other benefits from talking them up. These are just great machines and I think they represent the very best value in the world for what we do. That is all.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Ordered my "dream lathe" EDIT: photos added

Post by Tyler »

Thanks Todd. I've been in touch and they are getting things squared away for me. Matt and Nichole are great.