Pointed Cutty "MacReedy"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
E.L.Cooley

Re: Pointed Cutty "MacReedy"

Post by E.L.Cooley »

maxmil wrote:These are my tools:

Estas son mis herramientas:
]
Very nice!

Sent from my banana phone.
Alden

Post by Alden »

maxmil wrote:I gladly accept constructive criticism as both destructive, but influence is something like a tiny noticeable curvature only through a reflection in a photograph for me it is still nonsense.
Best regards.
Félix

Acepto de buen grado tanto las críticas constructivas como las destructivas; pero incidir en algo como es una ínfima curvatura apreciable únicamente mediante un reflejo en una fotografía para mí no deja de ser un sinsentido.
Saludos.
Félix
Felix, I see what you mean. Reflections sometimes look different than what is really there. BUT, on this pipe the light reflection is definitely showing that your shank is not straight.
You can look at almost every picture and see several places where the shank is not perfectly straight.
Again, if you do not care that is okay. But George is right, it could be done better.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Alden:
If you had the pipe in his hand you could check that this defect is absolutely unimportant, the tiny appreciable curvature by the reflection of light is absolutely imperceptible to the naked eye so even a small touch that should eliminate it.
There is a pipe through an analysis of reflections across its surface, not even the elaborate mechanically.
Best regards.
Félix

Alden:
Si tuvieses la pipa en la mano podrías comprobar que el defecto apuntado es absolutamente intranscendente; es decir, la ínfima curvatura apreciable mediante el reflejo de la luz es absolutamente inapreciable a simple vista por lo ni siquiera merece un pequeño retoque que lo eliminaría.
No existe pipa alguna que pase un análisis de reflejos en toda su superficie; ni siquiera las elaboradas mecánicamente.
Saludos.
Félix

Alden wrote:
maxmil wrote:I gladly accept constructive criticism as both destructive, but influence is something like a tiny noticeable curvature only through a reflection in a photograph for me it is still nonsense.
Best regards.
Félix

Acepto de buen grado tanto las críticas constructivas como las destructivas; pero incidir en algo como es una ínfima curvatura apreciable únicamente mediante un reflejo en una fotografía para mí no deja de ser un sinsentido.
Saludos.
Félix
Felix, I see what you mean. Reflections sometimes look different than what is really there. BUT, on this pipe the light reflection is definitely showing that your shank is not straight.
You can look at almost every picture and see several places where the shank is not perfectly straight.
Again, if you do not care that is okay. But George is right, it could be done better.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Wow, we're discussing light reflections again, kind of a deja vu ;)

Maxmil, whether the slight imperfection is important to you or not, that pretty much ends the subject.
You're probably right when you say nobody would notice it in person.

On the other hand, it's still there. And it is important to emphasize that, as George wrote, it is not easy to fix, quite the contrary. Those teeny tiny irrelevant things are what sets apart very good work from truly great work. This is bound to be taken personally, but I'm sure you understand what I mean and that I have no intention of diminishing your work.

Not everyone has to chase perfection, let's get it stated clearly, because very few of us want/can afford to spend hours trying to carve a perfect line. But when Bo Nordh saw a wavy line he kept working on it untill it looked so good that it even fooled the light into thinking it was perfect ;)
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

You're absolutely right; however, if we analyze the reflections of a pipe on all surfaces, will ensure that these are perfect would not have to make an endless job. This is at least what I think.
And I ask you, do you look so defective pipe pipa me to analyze the reflection in question?. If yes, proceed to correct the small defect. Si es que sí, procederé a corregir el pequeño defecto.
Best regards.

Tienes toda la razón; no obstante, si analizamos los reflejos de una pipa en todas sus superficies, querer lograr que estos sean perfectos no llevaría a tener que realizar un trabajo interminable. Esto es, al menos, lo que pienso yo.
Y te pregunto; ¿ves tú tan defectuoso el caño de mí pipa al analizar el reflejo en cuestión?.
Saludos.
keilwerth wrote:Wow, we're discussing light reflections again, kind of a deja vu ;)

Maxmil, whether the slight imperfection is important to you or not, that pretty much ends the subject.
You're probably right when you say nobody would notice it in person.

On the other hand, it's still there. And it is important to emphasize that, as George wrote, it is not easy to fix, quite the contrary. Those teeny tiny irrelevant things are what sets apart very good work from truly great work. This is bound to be taken personally, but I'm sure you understand what I mean and that I have no intention of diminishing your work.

Not everyone has to chase perfection, let's get it stated clearly, because very few of us want/can afford to spend hours trying to carve a perfect line. But when Bo Nordh saw a wavy line he kept working on it untill it looked so good that it even fooled the light into thinking it was perfect ;)
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

It all depends on the approach.

If we think in absolute terms, without any relation to price, work time invested, etc., then 99,9% of the pipes shown on this forum have visible imperfections that could, theoretically, be corrected.

If we think in practical terms many of those imperfections are, as you said, irrelevant. Both because the pipe doesn't cost $5000 and because subjective aesthetic appel rarely leaves room for such detailed analyses.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Most of the mud in this swamp is produced by disconnected expectations. a.k.a. The first rule of effective communication is know your audience.

There's a road out of it, I think.

Proposal: Any pipe posted to the gallery board must be accompanied by a code of some sort (number or letter) that describes the target the poster was aiming for when he made it.

Something like:

1 -- Early or first attempt, just trying to make a functional pipe. Will be given away or kept for personal use.

2 -- Marketable pipe intended for shop or outdoor use

3 -- Marketable, solid, middle-of-the-road pipe on the same level as Savinelli or Peterson's mid grades.

...[etc]...

Up through:

X -- I wanna make Bo Nordh my bitch

With the maker's desires and intentions known in advance, and the board's feedback tuned accordingly, there's little room for things to go sideways, I think.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A very rational point of view.
Thank you.
Best regards.

Un punto de vista muy racional.
Gracias.
Saludos.
keilwerth wrote:It all depends on the approach.

If we think in absolute terms, without any relation to price, work time invested, etc., then 99,9% of the pipes shown on this forum have visible imperfections that could, theoretically, be corrected.

If we think in practical terms many of those imperfections are, as you said, irrelevant. Both because the pipe doesn't cost $5000 and because subjective aesthetic appel rarely leaves room for such detailed analyses.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Fortunately the sale of pipes is not my livelihood, I am 69 years old and I receive a pension more than enough to live comfortably.
Pipes elaborated exclusively by hobby, like many others I practice, including astrophotography, for example.
The pipes get me elaborate the website and if somebody likes some can buy it from, and I think the prices are very reasonable for the quality that I offer, and I bought them felt, always, very favorably.
In my web page you can see I have up for sale, their prices, and I've sold "Galeria".
That's it.
Best regards.

Afortunadamente la venta de pipas no es mi medio de vida; tengo 69 años y recibo una pensión más que suficiente para poder vivir holgadamente.
Elaboro pipas exclusivamente por afición; como otras muchas que practico, entre ellas la astrofotografía, por ejemplo.
Las pipas que elaboro las pongo en mí página web y si a alguien le gusta alguna puede comprármela; y pienso que los precios son muy accesibles para la calidad que ofrezco, y los que me las compraron opinarón, siempre, muy favorablemente.
En mí página web pueden verse las que tengo a la venta, sus precios, y en Galeria las que he vendido.
Eso es todo.
Saludos.
LatakiaLover wrote:Most of the mud in this swamp is produced by disconnected expectations. a.k.a. The first rule of effective communication is know your audience.

There's a road out of it, I think.

Proposal: Any pipe posted to the gallery board must be accompanied by a code of some sort (number or letter) that describes the target the poster was aiming for when he made it.

Something like:

1 -- Early or first attempt, just trying to make a functional pipe. Will be given away or kept for personal use.

2 -- Marketable pipe intended for shop or outdoor use

3 -- Marketable, solid, middle-of-the-road pipe on the same level as Savinelli or Peterson's mid grades.

...[etc]...

Up through:

X -- I wanna make Bo Nordh my bitch

With the maker's desires and intentions known in advance, and the board's feedback tuned accordingly, there's little room for things to go sideways, I think.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

As a noob to this and only being on the forum for a couple of weeks. I think some of us might need to specify what type of critique we are looking for in our work.
However, most of you seem
to know each other work and skill level. If not personally, from experience. I would be willing to guess that most of you can eye a pipe and measure a skill level of the maker. I also think that you automatically go to a grading level equal to the hand of the carver. I expect no one will mention on my first critique that there might be an uneven line or possibly could be lens distortion. There will be other much more glaring issues with mine and I'll be measured at my skill level.
Maxmil I strive to someday me measured at that level, beautiful work.

scotties22

Re: Pointed Cutty

Post by scotties22 »

Ccoolee wrote:As a noob to this and only being on the forum for a couple of weeks. I think some of us might need to specify what type of critique we are looking for in our work.
However, most of you seem
to know each other work and skill level. If not personally, from experience. I would be willing to guess that most of you can eye a pipe and measure a skill level of the maker. I also think that you automatically go to a grading level equal to the hand of the carver. I expect no one will mention on my first critique that there might be an uneven line or possibly could be lens distortion. There will be other much more glaring issues with mine and I'll be measured at my skill level.
Maxmil I strive to someday me measured at that level, beautiful work.

For most new carvers this is probably true. For me it doesn't work. I have always wanted my pipes gone over with a micrometer and dissected to the Nth degree. I strive to achieve perfect and want to know where I missed. And I know I'm not normal and most people don't want their pipes torn apart the way I do.

Just looking at someone's pipe doesn't let you know what their goal was, though. The poster really needs to let everyone know what they want out of the critique.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

I can see that, Scotties22. I want to know where I fall short on any mark. That's the only way to improve. I appreciate being able to read all the critiques on here. I feel like some of these points like looking at the light down the side. This would have taken me years of doing this to figure out on my own.

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

That's why it is important to read as much of this forum as you can. I have been here about 20 months and am still reading past posts (especially the gallery) and learning.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

One issue is that the new maker CANNOT possibly even understand a truly high-level, detailed critique. Like, you have to start with basic stuff, and then move on up to detail/fussy stuff, the move on to artistic/highgrade stuff and there's a hundred little details at every level.

There is NO point in taking a guy's third pipe and telling him everything that's wrong with it, or what direction to take it, because his mind and his skills are not there yet. Step by step!

Sasquatch,
Captain
Criticism Group 3.1b
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

True I'm still trying to figure out how not to rocket briar across the room haha do I need a hockey mask?

The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Many folks on this forum have a desire to achieve excellence. It's why we were first attracted to high-grade pipes, and it's why we were drawn to the notion of making them. I try to critique based on skill level for sure. I think it's important for us to be willing to push each other to the next level, which as Sas says, can be quite nit-picky.

That being said, I personally appreciate being held to a very high standard- possibly one I may never measure up to.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
scotties22

Re: Pointed Cutty

Post by scotties22 »

Ccoolee wrote:True I'm still trying to figure out how not to rocket briar across the room haha do I need a hockey mask?

I considered wearing a flak jacket while I was pregnant last year. Didn't want a block to zip out of the chuck and tag the baby :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

.[/quote]
I considered wearing a flak jacket while I was pregnant last year. Didn't want a block to zip out of the chuck and tag the baby :lol:[/quote]

I love it! I hope all was well and congratulations are/were in order.

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:...I think it's important for us to be willing to push each other to the next level, which [can be] quite nit-picky.

That being said, I personally appreciate being held to a very high standard- possibly one I may never measure up to.
It doesn't take long to figure out what gallery posters are looking for... it's that sometimes "not long" isn't quick enough.

That delay is when hurt feelings, confusion, and etc. occur.

Having a poster clearly state up front what he wants out of the hobby, what his aspirations are as a carver (amateur or pro, and if pro, what market he is shooting for), and so forth will avoid pretty much any drama. PLUS will harvest far more useful---and usefully worded---feedback.

The exception would be when someone asks for more than he belatedly discovers he actually wants. But even when that happens, there can be no crying foul if it was written down in black and white. The poster only has to amend his request, and the critique will make a course correction.

Maxmil's explanation of who he is, why he makes pipes, what he hopes to achieve, and so forth completely changed how I will approach any future pipes he submits, for example. I thought he was a Whippersnapper shooting for the stars. Now I know he simply wants to make good pipes that he's proud of, and have fun doing it.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

George always well spoken. Thanks again