Playing favorites

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
d.huber

Playing favorites

Post by d.huber »

Who is your favorite pipe maker?

Why?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Re: Playing favorites

Post by pipedreamer »

Years ago that was a great question, I would name off a few of my favorites and point out what they brought to the table. Now, however it's a daunting task. There exist, right now some of the best I have ever seen! I know there is a rise in sheer numbers, But time will weed out the dilettantes.Still even after the attrition of wanna be pipe carvers, there is the fact that we live in probably the best times ever for pipe carvers.From greats that keep getting better, to the guy that just makes a nice kick ass pipe and could"nt care less about the accolades. All of the pipe guys I knew were good men and found joy in their efforts, even having to work often, at many things so they could carve pipes.Today I can name off several continents of carvers, that all make high end pipes and they keep getting better. Some times, bit by bit and at other times Bam!! Politics, right time, right place will probably immortalize a few, we now have women that I admire that keep making it happen: That's great!! On a good day I would have to say it's not over yet, All those that make pipes happen, have done a good thing to make life better in many ways for me and all that love pipes. I can't pick just one out of so many that bring so much and mean so much to me. Well that's my two cents, I have to go make a reverse tenon, two chamber 9mm filter pipe with an optional tenon.Great times to all of you! You are all heroes in your endeavors! John. :thumbsup:
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Misha Revyagin, no doubt about it.
The perfect simplicity of his more classical pieces, especially from a couple of years ago, then his wonderful, organic shapes and now those completely crazy, complex shapes that make you turn your head upside down when looking at the photos just to try and understand what those shapes really look like in 3d.
Others I like a lot are Bo Nordh, Toku, Mimmo, the Geigers, Boris Starkov, the Bang boys.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think Yashtylov would be my favorite, though I don't know that I'll ever have enough money to own one. I love his unique stem designs as well as the creativity he brings to pipe making while looking elegant and classy. I know you wouldn't think of that by looking at the billiards I keep making that I like his work best, but he is still an inspiration.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Premal Motherfuckin Chedda.
Why ? Without his help I would be back driving semis. He is also one of the most passionate enthusiasts in the American pipe making world and he cares more for the pipes and the people than anyone else you will find doing what he does. It also doesn't hurt that he is a perfectionist with exacting standards of quality and has an extremely polished aesthetic that runs throughout the work he produces.
Also I kinda like the way he slaps me on the ass and says "Good Game Bigg'un" after every show.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

pipedreamer wrote:There exist, right now some of the best I have ever seen! I know there is a rise in sheer numbers, But time will weed out the dilettantes.

Sadly, 95%+ are dilettantes.
pipedreamer wrote:Still even after the attrition of wanna be pipe carvers, there is the fact that we live in probably the best times ever for pipe carvers.
For carvers, yes; for high-grade pipes, I'm not so sure. The game has changed substantially in that pipes which even three years ago were considered vastly substandard are now "works of art" to a new marketplace. On the one hand, that's great for pipe makers who make substandard pipes -- they can make a living at it. Good for them, BTW! Unfortunately, I don't think it's good for the community at large. I'm concerned that the international market for American makers will decline because (as a whole) we produce pretty bad pipes right now.

Also, Yashtylov? Revyagin? Who are these newcomers of which you speak? :)

On the whole, the Danes are still King of the Pipe Rack, IMO.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

e Markle wrote:For carvers, yes; for high-grade pipes, I'm not so sure. The game has changed substantially in that pipes which even three years ago were considered vastly substandard are now "works of art" to a new marketplace. On the one hand, that's great for pipe makers who make substandard pipes -- they can make a living at it. Good for them, BTW! Unfortunately, I don't think it's good for the community at large. I'm concerned that the international market for American makers will decline because (as a whole) we produce pretty bad pipes right now.
You're dead on about this. I was in that group of making substandard pipes until I started hanging out on here. Pipe makers forum is what gives me hope about the new carvers.

By the way, what's an e-Markle? Is that a new brand of e-cig? :wink:
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Ernie, I'm pretty sure the solution is for us to just make gooder pipes!

I'd say my favorites are:

Cornelius Maenz- for his attention to detail

Todd Johnson- for his creativity of design

Alex Florov- for his sculptural aesthetic and use of facets

Premal Chheda- for his passion for pipes, people, and perfectionism. Premal is truly helping to elevate the quality of the carvers he meets.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

I have to agree with Ryan and Micah, regarding Premal. Even if he made shitty pipes, which he certainly does not, the time and knowledge he has shared puts him at the top of the list for me.

Ryan Alden gets an honorable mention for introducing me to dik-diks and for selflessly attending to the hair and beard combing needs of the pipe making community.

I don't like to pick favorites, but I will say that I think the best of the newer school (last 10-15 years) of pipe makers are some of the best pipe makers, in my opinion. The ability to absorb influences from other aesthetic schools and produce work that really draws from the best parts of all the pipe making traditions results in great work. You've got to give credit to the early innovators, but it's also important to appreciate that there are younger pipe makers taking things to the next level.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

sandahlpipe wrote:
You're dead on about this. I was in that group of making substandard pipes until I started hanging out on here. Pipe makers forum is what gives me hope about the new carvers.
Jeremiah,
I'm not picking on you, but questioning what you consider a new carver. How long have you been making pipes? A couple of years? Wouldn't that be considered a "new carver"?

This begs the question: When does one move from novice status? I know some pipe makers that have been making pipes for 30 years and still don't have symmetry or finish in their repertoire, let alone a quality lip button!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

baweaverpipes wrote:
sandahlpipe wrote:
Jeremiah,
I'm not picking on you, but questioning what you consider a new carver. How long have you been making pipes? A couple of years? Wouldn't that be considered a "new carver"?

This begs the question: When does one move from novice status? I know some pipe makers that have been making pipes for 30 years and still don't have symmetry or finish in their repertoire, let alone a quality lip button!
I've been at it about three years now. Perhaps "new" is a poor designation. There are people who started in the last year who are light years ahead of me and as you said people who have been at it longer who are worse. What I intended to convey is that there are a lot of new guys out there with crappy pipes getting compliments by people who don't know to look for fit and finish and don't seem to care. Then there are the guys who are still learning and improving. I guess I use the term "new" ambiguously. I consider myself a new pipe maker still, but I am still learning. The group that is still learning tends to hang out here more than the folks who don't care.

As for when someone is no longer a novice, I don't know. Maybe when their fit and finish is solid?
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

baweaverpipes wrote: I'm not picking on you, but questioning what you consider a new carver. How long have you been making pipes? A couple of years? Wouldn't that be considered a "new carver"?

One moves from novice status when there quality moves. Albeit somebody can be VERY experienced at making novice pipes.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

d.huber wrote:Who is your favorite pipe maker?

Why?
Ernie Markle.

Just because.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

IAWT.

It's mostly because he has good hair.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

After having the great pleasure of seeing Mr. Sparkle's hair firsthand this year at the KC show IAWW. Ernie rocks some AWESOME hair! :notworthy:

I can't pick a favorite. Mostly because, apart from knowing who you guys are, I don't know shit about the PipeWorld as a whole. People make pipes in Russia?? Well, color me stupid :-)
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

I'd have to go w/ Talbert just because I love the Goblin and Halloween lines SO much. Love the nightmarish looking pipes.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I want to troll so badly, but I'm going to hold back. Tokutomi. I love his aesthetic. When I think about making a pipe in his style I give up and make a billiard because I cant quite wrap my mind around how to do it. When you see his pipes, you usually know who it is, but I can never put my finger on why.
Yak

Post by Yak »

Todd Bannard.

Jesse Jones is pretty good too.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Do I win an internet? :shock:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote:Do I win an internet? :shock:
What Sas is really thinking...

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.