Something...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Something...

Post by JMG »

Not sure what to call this. I messed up when shaping so it didn't turn out like I wanted. Had a nasty flaw in the shank so I blasted the shank and tried to blend it in. Said flaw opened up into a cavern!!! At least the grain was pretty. Since it turned into a shop pipe I didn't finish it out real well on the sanding (Though Wayne I promise to sand the chamber before I smoke it.) Critiques/advice as always are appreciated.

Left just a touch of plateau..

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Something...

Post by Tyler »

Your best yet, imo.
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

I don't know what shape to call that, I like it nonetheless. Sometimes veering of the path and discovering the unintended is better than the projection anyway.
The smooth bowl and the blasted shank work well together, providing tension. Would it be considered "Danish"? or is the shank to straight?

Ditto...
Tyler wrote:Your best yet, imo.
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Nice one, John Michael!
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the kind words. Couple questions: Do you think the smooth band at the end of the shank is a touch too wide? Also, I'm thinking I removed a touch too much briar off the back (shank side) of the bowl near the shank...what do you think?

Thanks.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

JMG wrote:Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the kind words. Couple questions: Do you think the smooth band at the end of the shank is a touch too wide? Also, I'm thinking I removed a touch too much briar off the back (shank side) of the bowl near the shank...what do you think?

Thanks.

No on both accounts. I like the smooth band the way it is, and the back of the bowl/shank junction and relative space looks right.
Joe T

Post by Joe T »

Tyler wrote:Your best yet, imo.
I agree. (Or should I say IAWT? :wink: )

Not that I'm any authority, but I think the smooth band is the perfect width... it seems to me that a narrower one would look a little too 'sharp' since only the shank is rusticated.
Joe Thieman
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I like it. The bowl kind of looks like a hot air balloon, which is appropriate, I think. The blasted shank blended into the bowl is a very nice touch.
- Steve S.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Hmmm! Nice shape!