Pipes clogging during first smoke

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
oto101

Pipes clogging during first smoke

Post by oto101 »

How do you keep the airway from clogging up from raised grain on the first smoke? I usually have to ream them out after that and then they're fine from then on...

Jason
PastorPipe

Post by PastorPipe »

Sorry, no answers. But, I do have a related question. Is it pretty typical for one to suck tobacco up the stem while smoking. This seems to happen quite a bit on some of my pipes. Is that a sign of a poorly designed pipe?
"A pipe...it is a great soother, a pleasant comforter! Blue devils fly before its honest breath! It ripens the brain--it opens the heart; and the man who smokes, thinks like a sage and acts like a Samaritan!"
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

PastorPipe wrote:Sorry, no answers. But, I do have a related question. Is it pretty typical for one to suck tobacco up the stem while smoking. This seems to happen quite a bit on some of my pipes. Is that a sign of a poorly designed pipe?
I'm pretty sure it's just a sign of small tobacco flakes :thumb:

Oto101, are you positive that the problem is "raised grain?" I've seen this before but NEVER to the degree where it would be noticed in the airway... but then again, I'm not expert either. My only guess, and this is a guess, is that you might have a problem with too much moisture? So maybe that's why the wood swells so much? What is your draught hole diameter?
jeff

Post by jeff »

PastorPipe wrote: Is it pretty typical for one to suck tobacco up the stem while smoking. This seems to happen quite a bit on some of my pipes. Is that a sign of a poorly designed pipe?
No, it's a sign of bad tobacco. Stop smoking aromatics and come over to the Latakia-side! You lightweight! :lol: :lol:

JG
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I think Random is on the right track if the problem is a pipe problem and not a tobacco problem.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
oto101

Re: Pipes clogging during first smoke

Post by oto101 »

I use a 1/8" drill bit. The bit is brand new. I do smoke a very wet aromatic... but once I ream it out, it smokes fine from then on.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Define "ream it out." I don't know of any pipe cleaner that is coarse enough to shave off wood (i.e. raised grain). I think the issues may be something else.
oto101

Post by oto101 »

bscofield wrote:Define "ream it out." I don't know of any pipe cleaner that is coarse enough to shave off wood (i.e. raised grain). I think the issues may be something else.
I have one of those common pipe tools that has a tramper, spade, and poker on it. I just use the poker to push the raised grain through into the bowl.

Jason
jeff

Post by jeff »

Oto,

this may or may not be related to the draught hole diameter, but I would suggest using a larger diameter bit. Most pipemakers that I know (with exceptions, of course) use between 9/64 and 11/64. 1/8" is very narrow and constricts the airflow. Additionally, it may account for some of the clogging due to the diameter. A little flake or two of tobacco may almost completely clog it whereas a larger one may give you a little more room. Getting tobacco in the draught hole is fairly common, but is usually easily removed with a pipecleaner.

Happy smoking,

Jeff
windigofer

Post by windigofer »

I myself like 5/32" myself; it's a happy medium between Big Boreholes and the minimum limits of unusability.

I will also note this is *not* a grain issue--I've seen the same thing happen on meers and clays with tiny boreholes. If anything, it's a "the bore is too darned little" issue :3

Even on pipes like meers and clays, a 5/32" borehole vastly improves smokability (one doesn't have to suck so hard on the pipe) and really does the trick on things like churchwarden briars (I have one I'm working on that smokes an absolute *dream*...barely pull on it, plenty of smoke).
windigofer

Post by windigofer »

PastorPipe wrote:Sorry, no answers. But, I do have a related question. Is it pretty typical for one to suck tobacco up the stem while smoking. This seems to happen quite a bit on some of my pipes. Is that a sign of a poorly designed pipe?
I wouldn't think so, seeing as *every single pipe* I have ever owned does this :3

I myself tend towards curved stems on pipes, as this seems to lessen this (at least a gentle bend for churchwardens, a 30 degree bend or more for handheld pipes...sorry, I don't know the exact technical term). It still will happen though, especially towards the bottom of a bowl--it's just little tobacco flakes, just like others have noted.
PastorPipe

Post by PastorPipe »

O.k. o.k Jeff. Enough already. I will get some stinking Latakia and give it a whirl. But, I will continue to smoke my aromatics. My grandad (Whose name is J. Allen) smoked them, my wife loves them, and they make my luggage smell beautiful wherever I go. Thanks for the ribbing. :lol:

Matt
"A pipe...it is a great soother, a pleasant comforter! Blue devils fly before its honest breath! It ripens the brain--it opens the heart; and the man who smokes, thinks like a sage and acts like a Samaritan!"
jeff

Post by jeff »

I have some really nice smelling potpourri at the house. You should give it a whirl too. :thumb:

JG
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

jeff wrote:I have some really nice smelling potpourri at the house. You should give it a whirl too. :thumb:

JG
Ouch!
PastorPipe

Post by PastorPipe »

It's cool man. Keep it. After all you need SOMETHING for your breath.