PITH 2015

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.

Pipe shape PITH 2015

Poll ended at Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:18 am

Billiard
4%
Churchwarden
No votes
Bulldog
15%
Author
11%
Sitter (Not a poker)
11%
Bamboo shank sitter (Not a poker)
59%

Total votes: 27

brooksbanister

Re: PITH 2015

Post by brooksbanister »

I'll wait until next year's PITH to actually participate, but I'm excited to see everyone's results...and more importantly the lessons learned from all of the participants using bamboo for the first time. Good luck to you all.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Alright fellers, I've got three questions. (... and I guess, some sub-questions)
1. are cracks in the bamboo a major problem? depending on if they go all the way through? since I'm just practicing, can I patch a minor one with epoxy or CA glue? or not bother if it's very slight? will it effect the draw?

2. I figure the bamboo I got from Steve Norse is well dried, any one know if this is the case? and does it matter? and if it does matter, how can one go about harvesting and drying ones own bamboo? just curious, as Portland is virtually overgrown with the stuff, I thought it might be cool.... anyone have any experience?

3. I'm pouring over Tyler's pipedia article, and it seems you need two Morse taper drill chucks? one in the headstock for holding the drill bit used as a mandril during facing (or pin guages, like I read elsewhere...) and another drill chuck in the tailstock to hold the forstner? correct? or am I missing something? sub-sub-question: using the drill bit as a mandril really grips the bamboo with enough tension to be able to face it? (edit: duh, I figured this one out on my own.... the mandrel just keeps it aligned... one's hands keep it from spinning. sorry.)

thanks everyone! and before anyone says it, yes, I'm going to try it and find out.

cheers, Jeremy.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

Anybody else scratching their head about what shape to make? I can't decide!
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

I've got a plan A and plan B. We'll see if I can pull off plan A. :shock:
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I'm doing a cutty, and if that doesn't work out, I'll end up doing a freehand dublin.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

I've got an angle on a sitting brandy, I think... working on tuning up the bamboo portion..... everyone's help has been so... well, HELPFUL!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

seamonster wrote:Alright fellers, I've got three questions. (... and I guess, some sub-questions)
1. are cracks in the bamboo a major problem? depending on if they go all the way through? since I'm just practicing, can I patch a minor one with epoxy or CA glue? or not bother if it's very slight? will it effect the draw?
The skins often cracks. If that's all it is, no big deal. If you want to you can fill with superglue, but that can turn into a chore trying to clean up after without sanding through the skin.

3. I'm pouring over Tyler's pipedia article, and it seems you need two Morse taper drill chucks? one in the headstock for holding the drill bit used as a mandril during facing (or pin guages, like I read elsewhere...) and another drill chuck in the tailstock to hold the forstner? correct? or am I missing something? sub-sub-question: using the drill bit as a mandril really grips the bamboo with enough tension to be able to face it? (edit: duh, I figured this one out on my own.... the mandrel just keeps it aligned... one's hands keep it from spinning. sorry.)
No forstner. You have to face the side of the bamboo that's on the pin. That's the side turning true to the hole through the bamboo. The opposite side will be wonky because the bamboo (usually) isn't straight, so you (usually) can't support the opposite side. Turn slowly because of the unsupported wonkiness.

That make sense?
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Tyler wrote:
No forstner. You have to face the side of the bamboo that's on the pin. That's the side turning true to the hole through the bamboo. The opposite side will be wonky because the bamboo (usually) isn't straight, so you (usually) can't support the opposite side. Turn slowly because of the unsupported wonkiness.

That make sense?
Makes perfect sense, thanks Tyler!
I'm getting a little practice facing on the pins, but it's tricky work, and I will need lots of repetition. I've got one just about ready to post some pictures of... I really appreciate the guidance.

One thing I'm noticing is that the pin gauges seem to open up my mortise a little and the as tenon isn't quite as snug. I've solved this by adding a delrin plug, and drilling the mortise in that. Is that reasonable? If the bamboo mortise with an ebonite ring is opening on the pins, am I forcing too big a pin?

thanks again!
Jeremy
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

seamonster wrote:
Tyler wrote:

That make sense?
Makes perfect sense, thanks Tyler!
I'm getting a little practice facing on the pins, but it's tricky work, and I will need lots of repetition. I've got one just about ready to post some pictures of... I really appreciate the guidance.

One thing I'm noticing is that the pin gauges seem to open up my mortise a little and the as tenon isn't quite as snug. I've solved this by adding a delrin plug, and drilling the mortise in that. Is that reasonable? If the bamboo mortise with an ebonite ring is opening on the pins, am I forcing too big a pin?

thanks again!
Jeremy
Let me disclaim my first post. Often, with bent bamboo, you have to drill from both ends and meet in the middle. If you have a straight enough piece to drill a straight-through hole, things are a little easier and you could work on both ends, mandrel-style.

I used delrin plugs for awhile to solve problem you describe. The bamboo is pretty easy to compress, and it spins pretty easily on a pin. These two "features" conspire to cause frequent loose bamboo joints. I quit using the delrin method though, because I had one pull out. The fit was tight on the tenon, and the glue joint would just let go.

The answer is superglue. Put a thin layer on a pipe cleaner, and swab the (bamboo) mortise. Let it dry and test the fit. Often it will be too tight. (Don't force it! Bamboo is very strong, but splits relatively easily.) Use a drill bit or reamer to ream it out, and you should have a nice fit that's not prone to movement from compression, moisture, or temperature.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I hadn't opened up the PITH thread until now because the deadline has always conflicted with the Chicago show or has been in the dead of winter when my shop is too cold. I like the July deadline so you can count me in.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
mightysmurf8201

wdteipen wrote:I hadn't opened up the PITH thread until now because the deadline has always conflicted with the Chicago show or has been in the dead of winter when my shop is too cold. I like the July deadline so you can count me in.
Count yourself counted in.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'm going to need to withdraw from the PITH trade this year. It looks like we will be moving in the next few months and I don't know that I will be able to make a pipe for the trade amidst the chaos.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Jesse and I just made a bamboo this past week. I will post pics after it is finished. It has been a long time since I have done one, and I realized while prepping for it, there are many ways to approach it.

On this one, we did a briar to bamboo flush direct connection with steel tube friction fit with glue. The bamboo groove/notch was extended into the briar.
Other Options:
Threaded steel tube
Delrin
Spacer In-B-Tween Briar and bamboo (flush or as a ring)
etc...

The stem side was stabilized with glue and reamed to size, and a flush ebonite ring was attached to the bamboo via a tenon. The bamboo groove/notch was extended into the flush ring and stem.
Other Options
Line the mortise with ebonite or delrin or briar
Stabilize face of bamboo with glue
Use a circular extending ring instead of flush on the end of the bamboo
etc...

A 1//4 " delrin tenon was used on the stem.
Other Options:
Integral tenon
Steel tube tenon (either on bamboo or stem)
etc...

The bamboo was cleaned, small nodes sanded down just a little. Large nodes smoothed and darkened. A protective finish was applied to the bamboo.
Other Options:
Leave nodes on
Apply inlays in nodes
Apply epoxy beads in nodes
Sandblast bamboo
Stain bamboo
etc...
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Oakbear wrote:Anybody else scratching their head about what shape to make? I can't decide!
I am going to make a Bamboo Sitter. 8)
Premal Chheda
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Here it is. This is not my pipe for the PITH 2015.

I drilled and initially shaped the stummel.
Jesse refined the shape and made the stem.
The bamboo was primarily prepared by Jesse under my guidance.
Jesse applied the finish to the stummel.
I still have to do a final polish, bowl coat, and stamp.
Attachments
IMAG1316.jpg
IMAG1316.jpg (85.79 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
IMAG1315.jpg
IMAG1315.jpg (77.09 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
IMAG1314.jpg
IMAG1314.jpg (90.21 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
IMAG1313.jpg
IMAG1313.jpg (67.63 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
IMAG1312.jpg
IMAG1312.jpg (73.81 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
Premal Chheda
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

PremalChheda wrote:Here it is. This is not my pipe for the PITH 2015.
Thanks for showing this Jesse and Premal, looks great!

... and thanks for the break down, including options. Now that I'm three bamboo attempts in, all on the spectrum from mild disaster to 'hey, not bad', all smokeable, your info makes sense, I have schema to attach it to.... experience lends to understanding.

cheers, Jeremy.
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Thanks for the tips and the inspiration, Premal. I've got an idea in mind, but I'm still thinking over all the construction details. What kind of glue would/do you use to stabilize the end of the bamboo?
- Steve S.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Literaryworkshop wrote:Thanks for the tips and the inspiration, Premal. I've got an idea in mind, but I'm still thinking over all the construction details. What kind of glue would/do you use to stabilize the end of the bamboo?
From Tyler's post, this thread, Feb 10th:

"Let me disclaim my first post. Often, with bent bamboo, you have to drill from both ends and meet in the middle. If you have a straight enough piece to drill a straight-through hole, things are a little easier and you could work on both ends, mandrel-style.

I used delrin plugs for awhile to solve problem you describe. The bamboo is pretty easy to compress, and it spins pretty easily on a pin. These two "features" conspire to cause frequent loose bamboo joints. I quit using the delrin method though, because I had one pull out. The fit was tight on the tenon, and the glue joint would just let go.

The answer is superglue. Put a thin layer on a pipe cleaner, and swab the (bamboo) mortise. Let it dry and test the fit. Often it will be too tight. (Don't force it! Bamboo is very strong, but splits relatively easily.) Use a drill bit or reamer to ream it out, and you should have a nice fit that's not prone to movement from compression, moisture, or temperature."
mightysmurf8201

Got my pin gages in the mail last week so I've been messing around with bamboo a bit. Haven't run into any problems yet. I can see how it could be difficult without pin gages and a parting tool. I didn't think about stabilizing the mortise with glue. I'll keep that in mind.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Well, I am starting My third pipe. The good thing is I will have a nice collection of bamboo stemmed pipes to smoke. I am getting close on the bamboo junctions but the sitter part is a struggle. The next one will have a big bowl and a big bend to see if it balances better. Is any one else having a hard time making their pipe sit? Any suggestions would be appreciated, Norm.