Bent horn attempt

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ronps

Bent horn attempt

Post by ronps »

Here's one I did a few weeks ago. It's a rocker, which is handy. Rusticated on three side; the top and base are polished briar, no stain.

I'll sand and possibly coat the bowl. You'll see a few pits on the bottom. One day perhaps I'll learn how to make a stem (or a pipe for that matter) but this one uses a pre-made.

Anyways, your comments appreciated and often I'll adjust after receiving the feedback. SO, know your input really helps.

How'd I do this time??
Attachments
bottom view
bottom view
pipe8c.jpg (23.59 KiB) Viewed 829 times
bent horn 3
bent horn 3
pipe8b.jpg (36.92 KiB) Viewed 829 times
bent horn 2
bent horn 2
pipe8a.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 829 times
bent horn
bent horn
pipe8.jpg (40.15 KiB) Viewed 829 times
sandahlpipe

Re: Bent horn attempt

Post by sandahlpipe »

Well I wouldn't call it a horn. It's more of a Dublin with freehand tendencies. If you want to make a horn, it needs less chin and more of a fluid top line, rather than a sharp junction there.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
hendu3270

Post by hendu3270 »

I'm curious, what did you drill the tobacco chamber with? It looks to have some pretty good gouges in it.
ronps

Post by ronps »

Yeah. I should have cleaned that up before the pics, and I have now.

I used a forstner bit for a guide and then a spoon bit to the base. The drilling was done after the shaping and the stummel was secured with a vice,albeit not as firmly as I'd wished. That, combined with several passes, likely contributed to what you see. It was sanded, but not coated, so it's looking better.

Still learning and updating tooling to try to achieve better results. Also on the board daily to see some of the great stuff the folks on the board are producing and (hopefully) learning a great deal by the critiques in this section. At this point, I'm not getting much feedback on my stuff. Maybe that'll change when I raise my game. But the detail and thinking presented in the reviews of the pipes in this section is invaluable.

On to the next Dublin.