Dubdog...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Dubdog...

Post by JMG »

Not happy with this one, but it feels good to have my first diamond shank behind me...they are a pain in the butt. Was trying for a bulldog, turned more into a Dublin with a hat.

Things I think could be better: 1. The shank line carries into the bowl too much. Looking at it now I wish I would have ended where the shank enters into the bowl more in line with line of of bowl (if that makes any sense. 2. I wish my angles on the shank were at 45 degrees...they are no wear close. 3. I took too much off the bowl right above the shank. 4. didn't mean to angle the bottom part of the bowl so much. Actually, meant it to be more rounded, but I am still learning my way around a lathe.

Ok...anything else you guys see?

One flaw...bummer.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
taharris

Re: Dubdog...

Post by taharris »

I agree, you missed the Bulldog shape, but you did do a lot of things right on this pipe.

Your lines are nice and sharp. I wouldn't be ashamed to smoke this pipe in public.

Two critiques:

Rounding the profile of the bowl (instead of straight lines) would have created the Bulldog shape you were after.

Also, the saddle in your saddle stem is too gradual. Aim for almost 90 degrees.

Todd
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I think Todd covered most everything. I will say I love the way you got the band-aid on your finger to match the color of the pipe :lol:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The only other thing I see is that the bowl appears to angle back towards the stem. I'm guessing it doesn't really and that it's an illusion of the shape. A slight bend in the stem would help counter the illusion. I like the shape and think it's worthy of being a signature shape with a few minor refinements.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Looks good , quite different but not a bad thing at all. Keep up the good work.