Are Pipemakers Wood Turners?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
wdteipen

Are Pipemakers Wood Turners?

Post by wdteipen »

A discussion on proper wood turning tools and skills in another thread brought up a topic I thought would be interesting to explore. I know we have some master wood turners on here and also some who have never turned prior to making pipes. The question is: Is a pipemaker a wood turner? Is it necessary to learn the skills of a wood turner to make pipes? Would being a wood turner help or hinder the process of making pipes and in what ways?
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
scotties22

Re: Are Pipemakers Wood Turners?

Post by scotties22 »

Interesting question. I think I am a wood turner, but only classify myself as such because I actually do other turnings.

What say you, Bill??
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Does it count if I've turned pens on my wood lathe? But I learned how to turn making pipes and the pens are comparatively easy.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

Maybe in a very narrow sense, but I would never claim that title. I'd like to hear what the turners, have to say too.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

It is not necessary to learn the skills of a wood turner to make pipes. I turn about 1 in 30 pipes, and turning the one is only because it's easiest for that shape, not necessary.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I am a very poor wood turner, I find it easier to etch a sketch on my lathe than use a chisel.
Alden

Post by Alden »

In many peoples minds, woodworking can be broke down into turning and flat work. Making pipes definitely falls in the turning category.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

A Pipe Maker is a "Pipe Maker"

Wood turning can be a part of pipe making if the Pipe Maker so chooses to turn the bowl.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I wouldn't call myself a wood turner for the same reasons I wouldn't call myself a pipe maker, yet. I think a certain level of practice and proficiency is assumed in those titles. I make and sell the occasional pen or shaving brush upon request, or a handle for a turning tool or some other necessary item. But personally, I don't think the frequency and proficiency at which I practice is enough to put me in that category.
I personally bought my wood lathe with the sole intent to make pipes. I quickly realized that I needed some proficiency so I began making small simple turnings like pens and shaving brushes that fortunately began to sell and make me money, as well as being good practice. When I put the brakes on the small turning projects to get back to turning stummels, the things I had learned turning wood and acrylic were very helpful in making pipes.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I do both, but since Chris converted me.... The etch a sketch method is preferred... When I do a majority of my work on a lather... Otherwise, I just a fella who just happens to be happy he still has all his fingers and none have been offered to the sanding disk beast
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

I didn't see this topic until i replied to Wayne's comments on the other thread.

My thoughts are that turning is a set of skills which can be used for pipe making. Pipe making is making a pipe, however done.

I think being a woodturner first (not a master like some here for sure!) has given me a lot of useful skills in becoming a novice pipe maker, which has given me a head start. If i only wanted to make pipes would it have been quicker to not spend years turning and just learn pipe making straight away? Of course! I think the 2 can complement each other though.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Only thing I've ever turned was a crappy table leg in shop in college. Didn't see another lathe for ten years until one appeared in my apartment.

I guess there are those of us who turn tenons but I don't know if that methodology translates to wood turning.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I'm pretty sure we are all artists.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

NathanA wrote:I'm pretty sure we are all artists.
You mean craftsmen? :lol: Let's not start that again.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

d.huber wrote:I guess there are those of us who turn tenons but I don't know if that methodology translates to wood turning.
now that's silly david.. when's the last time you saw a wood tenon... duuuhhh... leave it to some creative artsy fartsy fella to make that a "methodology" connection.... its all connected, we're all connected, we're all one with mother nature.. loose the deodorant and start wearing tie dye clothes... geeezzzz

james
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I had to learn a lot of things to make pipes, wood turning was one of them, just like a thousand other things. I'm a Pipe Carver or maker as Premal stated, not a wood turner as such. However I like turning wood! Labels can be very confusing. I turn wood now to make a lot of things, most given as presents. I have two other lathes. Does that make me a Machinist? No! Because most of what I do involves making pipes and pipe stuff.However I'm a student of all and study on metal and wood lathe techniques many hours a week! Now I find The lathes are just tools to an end.
As Tyler stated, often a lathe isn't used to make the pipe, it depends on the shape. It is how it was in the beginning for me . I learn what I have to learn to make pipes and along the way got a hobby of wood turning. Most of us will never be a Bill, But it would be a good idea to learn to use the tools properly!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I think my world just fell apart.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

d.huber wrote:
I think my world just fell apart.
Well, I'm right here ready to give you a big hug!! :D
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I was turning wood long before I made pipes. I'm a reasonably skilled turner. I have made chess sets, bowls, candlesticks, all the usual sort of bullshit grade 9 projects. I haven't done any off-center stuff or if I have I don't remember it.

On one hand, I figured this (and other parts of my woodworking and carving acumen) would give me a huge head-start in making pipes. It super didn't.

It did allow me to build jigs and do stuff on the lathe (cut stems on a wood lathe with relative ease) that other guys might have found kind of daunting. Bulldog rings, inlays, turny stuff.

Being the best turner in the world doesn't help you make nice looking pipes though. That is a different skill set entirely.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

I guess I need to check in here a little more often. :oops: I have been turning professionally for over 20 years now, and some people think I am pretty good at it. I am, on a good day anyway. I thought I would be able to start right in making some nice pipes, and while my woodturning skills helped jumpstart a couple of things, I discovered a whole new skill set that I didn't have. :cry: I turn as much as I can on a pipe, and I use a wood lathe for some of my stems, but I don't really think that pipe making is woodturning anymore than a lot of other artists who use a wood lathe to get things started are turners either. Many of them claim the moniker, but that that don't make it so.

So far, even the traditional shapes I have made have little to do with the lathe beyond drilling and some minor shaping. As for the freehand stuff, drilling is about it. I do plan to turn some ashtrays though. :P