2015 KC Carving Contest Fund Raiser

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
scotties22

2015 KC Carving Contest Fund Raiser

Post by scotties22 »

Pipes are the one thing in my life that are all mine. No diapers, dishes, feeding anyone, cleaning up toys for the third time today.............it's just pipes. The GKC Pipe Club is a big part of that. I have been a member of the club for 3 years and and each year I see them struggle to promote the Carvers Contest Raffle. You would think it just wouldn't be that hard to sell 400 raffle tickets....well it is. Since pipes are how I spend my "me time" I wanted to do everything I could to help the Carvers Raffle be bigger and better than ever. I came up with an idea in November to help out. With the help of many of my friends here on PMF my idea has taken flight and I truly believe the GKC North American Carvers Contest is going to be bigger and better than ever before!

Carvers Helping Carvers Raffle

The Raffle

In order to help fund the GKC North American Carvers Contest I am holding a raffle on April 16, 2015 at the GKCPC meeting. All the proceeds will be donated to the Carvers Contest and will be split between this year's 7 winning carvers. Some of you have graciously volunteered to help out and are working on pipes to donate.

Wayne Teipen/Premal Chheda
Chris Morgan/Leif Backus (pipe/knife combo)
Mark Price/Scottie Piersel
Clark Layton/Jesse Jones
Steve Norse (flying solo :D )

Tickets are available on my website, http://www.ladybriar.com, and are 1 for $5 or 5 for $20. You do not have to be present to win. 5 winners will be drawn.

I want to give a huge "Thank You" to everyone who is taking the time out of their schedule to make a pipe for both the raffle and auctions. Nothing would have gotten done without your help :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading all of that!

Scottie
Last edited by scotties22 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
sandahlpipe

Re: 2015 KC Carving Contest Fund Raiser

Post by sandahlpipe »

Well I am thoroughly confused now.

I have known about the carvers contest raffle, where the best pipes are chosen and raffled off to a guy named Bob at the KC Pipe show.

I have known about a second raffle going on at the show, but for other prizes.

Now these pipe makers are making more pipes that are getting raffled in April?

And another set of pipe makers are making even more pipes to sell between Chicago and KC to be sold on eBay?

Just as someone who has somewhat of an outside perspective (Since I've never been to Kansas City and am not privy to what goes on at the meetings). I think some time spent on getting clear communication about the upcoming events would be helpful and what differentiates them from each other. In my opinion, there are too many things going on in short succession and it could be hard for folks to know which events to participate in. I'm sure it's all good and for a good cause, but if the different events aren't clearly distinguished from each other, people aren't going to know they will have 2 different shots at collaboration pipes and another shot at the contest winning pipes and (maybe?) yet another shot at other prizes.

I'd recommend a single, short pamphlet (which you can post on facebook or Instagram) that highlights the opportunities, cost and deadlines and clearly distinguishes the upcoming events. I know you weren't soliciting this advice, so take it for what it's worth.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I thought I was pretty concise, but then again....I know what's going on.

So, here we go:

1. There isn't a "General Raffle" at the show any more due to Missouri Gaming Laws. This was discovered in the weeks leading up to last year's show and was pretty heavily publicized by myself and the KC Club on their website.

2. As stated above the Carver's Contest Raffle is still going on as normal and will take place at the KC Show in June

3. As stated above I am hosting a raffle in April to help support the Carvers Contest Raffle

4. The reason I hadn't posted anything about the other pipes yet was to cut down on the confusion. You can find information about the raffle pipes and only the raffle pipes, since that is happening first, on my website. Once the raffle is done I will post the details on my website in the raffle informations place for the pipes made by last year's winners.

5. The raffle and auction I am hosting are outside the club. It is sanctioned by the club.
Last edited by scotties22 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.ladybriar.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Thanks for providing clarity. It makes more sense now that you've explained it.

So basically, there's a Lady Briar Raffle/Fundraiser and then an eBay Auction/Fundraiser both of which are designed to fund the KC pipe club and the carvers contest raffle. Am I getting it right? Perhaps just a clear name for the fundraiser raffle/auction thingies would help your cause so people don't get as confused as I got when they heard about other things coming out of KC.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

You are correct and the name of my raffle and ebay auctions is the "Carvers Helping Carvers raffle/auction".
www.ladybriar.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

sandahlpipe wrote:Thanks for providing clarity. It makes more sense now that you've explained it.
This.

Also, I think this is a great idea.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Great idea and I got my ticket!! :thumbsup:
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I bought my tickets too. Every little bit helps make this successful For everyone.