2nd Bent billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

2nd Bent billiard

Post by kamkiel »

For this year I have decided that I am going to focus on making primarily bent billiards. I really want to try hard to have flowing lines. This pipe had a flowing-ish line until I bent the stem. Actually the stem was a disaster from the beginning. I am not crazy about the stem color. I bought a meter of it (discount) so I could practice making better stems. Any suggestions as to what color I should stain the briar so that the stem looks like it belongs there would be helpful. Also, I messed up the slot. It looks like it had a stroke... :(

Your critiques and comments and hopefully some pointers for making a nice bent are always appreciated.

Thanks,
Kiel

Ocelot55

Re: 2nd Bent billiard

Post by Ocelot55 »

I think the color is fine. You got close to what you wanted to achieve, and still can. Making a nice flowing bend is challenging, but is almost never achieved by simply shaping a simple taper before you bend. There are two methods that can help you nail those lines.

1) completely finish the stem around the bite zone and around one inch up, then bend the stem and shape the curve so that it flows properly.
2) while shaping the straight stem, take more material off the bottom and a little more off the top side of the curve before you bend.

Sometimes I'll do method number two, and after I bend, if the shape still doesn't look right, I'll go in and reshape the areas that need it.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Ocelot55 wrote:I think the color is fine. You got close to what you wanted to achieve, and still can. Making a nice flowing bend is challenging, but is almost never achieved by simply shaping a simple taper before you bend. There are two methods that can help you nail those lines.

1) completely finish the stem around the bite zone and around one inch up, then bend the stem and shape the curve so that it flows properly.
2) while shaping the straight stem, take more material off the bottom and a little more off the top side of the curve before you bend.

Sometimes I'll do method number two, and after I bend, if the shape still doesn't look right, I'll go in and reshape the areas that need it.
Very helpful! I did a simple taper, bent the stem, and then sanded in all directions (which of course didn't help). I will make sure to do this on the next one.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I do a combination of both on every bent stem. I take it as close as I can, then bend, then I take a crossing file and remove the excess material off the bottom line. I still tend to leave too much, but am working on it.

The shank may be a touch too short for the bowl height. The lines of the stummel look good.

I like the colors, but anyone who has met me knows I have NO fashion sense and can't match colors to save my life....I'm not joking.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks for taking the time guys! Scottie, you're right about the shank length. It kept getting smaller the more I ground away at the stem. Now that you two have provided some direction, I think the next one should be better. The stems on my straight pipes weren't all that great either. This is an area that I really need to improve on, but it kind of feels like needing to clean out the garage. You know you have to, but...

Thanks,
Kiel
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Tried to fix the stem up today. Please tell me if it is better.
Attachments
IMG_20150306_155128_1425642644617.jpg
(112.75 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
IMG_20150306_155112_1425642685067.jpg
(111.9 KiB) Downloaded 249 times