What's on your list for Chicago?

General pipe discussion
Tyler
Site Supporter

What's on your list for Chicago?

Post by Tyler »

As we look forward to the great event, what are you hoping to buy, do, see, learn in Chicago?

Of course, selling out of pipes sounds fun, but that's not what I'm asking about. I'm asking about what you want to take home from Chicago. (Cash doesn't count as an answer either. :P )

Me?

I would love to take home a very nice pipe from a maker that I have come to know and appreciate. Maybe an Eltang or Barbi or STOA. Those would be my top three choices as I admire both maker and product. A lot will have to work out for that to happen though. I will need to make a lot of money before I can spend any.

I also want to take home lots of good memories of hanging out with and meeting you guys.

So what about you guys? What do you hope to do?

Buy a pipe?
Buy briar? (I assume Mimo will be selling his wares.)
Meet a particular carver to pick his brain and admire his work?
etc...

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I am thinking I will look for tooling and maybe a pipe. I want to get as much info as I can about drilling by hand post shaping.
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

I've reserved one of Jack Howell's pipes and Will Purdy is bringing me a pipe as well. I want a Boniquisti.

Neil
Last edited by sagiter on Wed May 04, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Wow, good post.

This will be my first time in Chicago. I'm looking for loads of input on my pipes. I'll probably want to sell my pipes for $0.02 after the input but that's OK because I want more input from people seeing my pipes in person.

I also hope to oogle lots of pipes from lots of people. I won't have the cash to buy anything, that's almost for certain. I may make an attempt to purchase some briar if I see some and have made some money.

And, of course, meeting everyone up there will be great fun!
magruder

Post by magruder »

I look forward to seeing all the incredible work from the best carvers
in the business.

Tyler, I look forward to talking your ear off. Ditto any other carver that will put up with me.

I want to take home a nugget of wisdom/knowledge that I can use to help make my pipes better. ( I should keep a running count of how many times I say " How did you DO that?".:dunno:

I will be taking home a great Eltang elephants foot that I've been paying Per Bilhall for over what seems like the last year or so. :D

AND I want a pipe from Tyler, Todd, Jody, Tom, Lars, Jess, Peter, Cornelius, Jeff, Former, Teddy, Rainer, Kurt, Kent, Tony, Mike, Brian, Trevor, Michael, Ingo, Per, Ulf, Karl, and Totukumi - san, etc., etc.
And then on Saturday...

Mostly, I want to take home what I got last year which was a warm feeling about all the great people involved in this art/hobby/business, the odd pleasant feeling of unselfconcious smoking in a public place and a BIG smile when I think of all the amazing pipes I saw.

I've been mentally packing and re - packing my bag for weeks :roll:

BTW- Is anyone other than me thinking of FEDEX-ing lighters/liqour/etc. to the hotel?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jody, Cornelius, and Brian would be really high on my list as well. I figured I was forgetting some favorites.

Also favorites are Bang, Chonowitsch, Ivarsson (any generation), and Nordh, but those fall into the untouchable range for me. Not that they couldn't be found estate for a reachable sum, but in that case they wouldn't be worth it to me because I don't know those makers like I know the other six I've mentioned. That has a lot to do with it for me: knowing the carver.

Tyler
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

I figured I was forgetting some favorites.
What no bag ? :D

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

magruder wrote:AND I want a pipe from Tyler, Todd, Jody, Tom, Lars, Jess, Peter, Cornelius, Jeff, Former, Teddy, Rainer, Kurt, Kent, Tony, Mike, Brian, Trevor, Michael, Ingo, Per, Ulf, Karl, and Totukumi - san, etc., etc.
Well if your going to start a "dream" list then I have one of those too :)

A pipe from:

Jody, Eltang, Todd, Chonowitsch, Nielson, Tyler, Jeff.

And of Tyler's I specificaly dream of the large or or small bent eggs that are shown in his "on the bench" section. From Eltang it would be a horn. From Jody it would be a squat dublin. From Todd it would be a freehand, something like the "oragami." From Chonowitsch it would be a brandy. And from Nielson a snail. From jeff it would be his egg lovat or his tiger tomato.

There you have it... my dream list! :thumb: 8)
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

I'm hoping to pick up 2 or 3 group two Dunhills in Cumberland or Tanshell and maybe a Tokutomi.

BTW, for those of you who want a STOA and a Jody Davis there will be an unbelievable cased set at the show. I don't think it's available though. Sorry . . . :D

Todd
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

sagiter wrote:
I figured I was forgetting some favorites.
What no bag ? :D

Neil
CRAP! I've thought long and hard about THAT too!

I need more money. :cry:

Tyler
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

magruder
AND I want a pipe from Tyler, Todd, Jody, Tom, Lars, Jess, Peter, Cornelius, Jeff, Former, Teddy, Rainer, Kurt, Kent, Tony, Mike, Brian, Trevor, Michael, Ingo, Per, Ulf, Karl, and Totukumi - san, etc., etc.
Does your wife know that you have taken out a second (and third) mortgage on your house?!? 8O
marks

Post by marks »

my wish list

1) Time to go to Chicago
2) Time to make pipes

That being said, if I were to go, the pipes I would want would be

Cooke or Bonaquisti sandblast
Roush pokerhawk
jeff

Post by jeff »

Wow. There will be so much there that I'm not sure it's fair to ask ahead! Especially for those of us who have never even been there. But, if I were to pare it down I think these would be my top choices for Chicago. I'll be looking long and hard at the pipes offered by each of the following makers: Jody, Cornelius, and Tom. Another Ming would be nice too. And another Medici or STOA. And, yes, an ultimate pipe bag from Neil. We'll see.

Jeff
Nick

Post by Nick »

I'm afrain I'm in the "I wish I could go" camp. But I will have a representative there, who will be on the look out for a nice Anne Julie for me.

I'd of course like a Tyler, another Todd, Jeff.....and the list goes on.

Ohh! I want a t-shirt too. But I guess we'll have to wait on that too.

HHMMPH!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Nick wrote:I want a t-shirt too. But I guess we'll have to wait on that too.

HHMMPH!
Did we end up with t-shirts in time for the show?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

The T-shirt project was terminated for reasons that will be made evident in Chicago.

Tyler (Who needs to remove the announcement for T-shirts on the front page of the site.)
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Me? I'm planning on bludgeoning Tyler over the head with War Club #4 and taking either that bulldog or the poker-ish looking pipe.

8O

:D
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Actually I may pick up a Meer now that I think of it. Heck I dunno...
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ArtGuy wrote:Actually I may pick up a Meer now that I think of it. Heck I dunno...
I've thought about a meer recently. I might see what there is out there in my price range.

FYI, my price range is a trade, basicaly :roll:
jeff

Post by jeff »

bscofield wrote:
ArtGuy wrote:Actually I may pick up a Meer now that I think of it. Heck I dunno...
I've thought about a meer recently. I might see what there is out there in my price range.

FYI, my price range is a trade, basicaly :roll:
I'll give you a meer for a 1981 Topps Joe Montana Rookie card.

Let me know.

Note: :roll:

JAG