First pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sig

First pipe

Post by sig »

Hi folks, this is my first pipe and really my first post. I've really enjoyed reading on this forum! The pipe I've made is all hand worked because I don't yet have the right teeth for my late, nor a drill chuck for the tail. The stumel of this pipe is oak and the stem is maple with a delrin tenon.

I've read enough here to know this won't be an amazing piece but I wanted to try it out and learn a few things before committing to a briar block.
bondarev

Re: First pipe

Post by bondarev »

Shank-to-stem line will not break, if you sand pipe gathered. Don't work with stem and stumble separately after lathe jobs.

Stem on the button side seems to be too narrow. Comfortable width is about 18 mm.

Wood is not likely material for stem. It is inconvenient for teeth, it swells in saliva, it is short-lived. Better to use vulcanite or acryl.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Welcome to the forum!
The wood stem will last for a while, but it will get kinda nasty ;).
You may want to hold off on smoking the oak stummel. Oak has some irritants in it that are pretty potent. Most of the stuff I've read was pertaining to the dust though. Use your best judgement.
Grab yourself a pipe kit and make some dust!
sig

Post by sig »

Thnkscfor the tip. I want to make a church warden so I thought the maple stem would offer good practice. Any tips on making a bent vulcanite stem? It does smoke without irritation but the flavor is off just a little. I didn't pretreat the bowl so that may be the reason. Either way this was not meant to be a real pip. It was practice. Next is a kit.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

sig wrote:Thnkscfor the tip. I want to make a church warden so I thought the maple stem would offer good practice. Any tips on making a bent vulcanite stem? It does smoke without irritation but the flavor is off just a little. I didn't pretreat the bowl so that may be the reason. Either way this was not meant to be a real pip. It was practice. Next is a kit.
I wouldn't start with a churchwarden for a first pipe stem. Short lines are easier to keep straight and not have them be lumpy.

For making a bent stem, you make a straight stem and heat it evenly with the heat gun and bend by hand. Be careful not to get it too hot or bend it before it's warm enough. Too hot and the airway may collapse and not hot enough and you may break the stem. However, I recommend starting with a straight pipe for the first few. Making a bent churchwarden isn't harder than making a straight classic, but making a bent churchwarden that looks nice is much harder than a straight classic.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

I'm not going to disagree with Sandahl. He's right, churwarden stems can be tricky. But that said, if you have your heart set on a churchwarden, make a churchwarden ;)
sig

Post by sig »

For making a bent stem, you make a straight stem and heat it evenly with the heat gun and bend by hand. Be careful not to get it too hot or bend it before it's warm enough. Too hot and the airway may collapse and not hot enough and you may break the stem. However, I recommend starting with a straight pipe for the first few. Making a bent churchwarden isn't harder than making a straight classic, but making a bent churchwarden that looks nice is much harder than a straight classic.
Great advice! Should I heat all sides evenly? I will likely heed your advice and male a few straight first for practice. I really don't prefer straight stems because I tend to need my hands free.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

sig wrote:
Great advice! Should I heat all sides evenly? I will likely heed your advice and male a few straight first for practice. I really don't prefer straight stems because I tend to need my hands free.
Yes. Do heat it evenly on all sides. Just don't heat the tenon too much. Also, bend the stem with it attached to the stummel. Many people will put a pipe cleaner in the airway while bending to help prevent an airway collapse.

As for liking bent pipes for clenching comfort, I will say this. Getting a bowl light enough (ie removing enough material) and making the stem comfortable makes for a good hands-free pipe more than merely bending the stem. Not to say that bending the stem won't help. Just that weight is a bigger factor in the comfort of a pipe.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com