Pipe 020

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Tyleram

Pipe 020

Post by Tyleram »

A different take on what I was doing with pipe 018. The facing on the shank and accent didn't turn out well so I listed this as a shop seconds...I also wasn't happy with how I shaped the shank. Ah well...the posting is done. Now to await the inevitable.

The lighting before didn't really suit the pipe all that well, so here's a few more outdoor shots:

Tyleram

Re: Pipe 020

Post by Tyleram »

Oh I forgot to put critique me in the title...please don't hold back. I made sure to stock up on band-aids and kleenex hahah
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

You probably won't get much action on these, as most everyone is in Chicago right now. I'll throw a couple cents in.

Overall, work on symmetry. There's a reason people are always expounding on making billiards; there's nowhere for asymmetry, lumpiness, or unwarranted waviness to hide. Another thing to work on would be your finishing. On this pipe in particular I see quite a few sanding scratches. Spend more time at the lower grits and make sure that at each step of the way you remove every single scratch left by the grit you used on the last step.

Keep making pipes and try to make each one better than the last!
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by Tyleram »

Thank you. I did notice those scratches too, I think I'll go back and try and get them out. I used to sand to 220 and stain after each grit, but then I started just sanding right up to 600 and start staining. I find I get better results with the previous method so I think I will go back to that for now.

Whenever I get the time to, a billiard to specific scale is on my next to do. At this point I know I need to go back to the basics and work on ironing out those kinks.