Spherical bowl pipe for critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RDPowell

Spherical bowl pipe for critique

Post by RDPowell »

Okay, this is my fourth pipe, it didn't turn out exactly as I intended but, I know what to do next time.
This is my first time using an extension (aluminum) and I used a preform vulcanite stem.
There is a slight flat spot on it I know but, I'm proud it came out as good as it did but, not so proud I don't see
it's faults. So I've braced myself, now give me hell about it. :wink:
Last edited by RDPowell on Mon May 11, 2015 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
rdpipes.briar.club
weedsnager

Re: Spirial bowl pipe for critique

Post by weedsnager »

Nice !
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I wouldn't do a aluminum to ebonite/vulkanite mortise/tenon. If anything, I'd line the mortise with Delrin.

In terms of shaping, the bowl/shank junction is too sharp and the bowl goes beneath the shank line.

The rings on the shank extension don't work for me on this otherwise fairly classic shape. I also wouldn't use aluminum, because I like to make the shank extension be more rare/special/expensive than the other materials on the pipe.

Other than that, it seems your fit and finish are decent, so keep on working on it. I'd like to see what you correct on your next one.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

sandahlpipe wrote:I wouldn't do a aluminum to ebonite/vulkanite mortise/tenon. If anything, I'd line the mortise with Delrin.

In terms of shaping, the bowl/shank junction is too sharp and the bowl goes beneath the shank line.

The rings on the shank extension don't work for me on this otherwise fairly classic shape. I also wouldn't use aluminum, because I like to make the shank extension be more rare/special/expensive than the other materials on the pipe.

Other than that, it seems your fit and finish are decent, so keep on working on it. I'd like to see what you correct on your next one.
I'll try that, sleeving the mortise with Delrin next time, I can see the advantages.
The bowl being below the the shank is exactly what I want to do. One for esthetics and two just because I'd knew it be harder then just coming directly off the bottom of the bowl. And yes I agree the transition from shank to bowl is too sharp and a bit rough and I'll certainly work on that sir.
The extension I wanted to be aluminum because I was going for a retro 50's look whether I achieved it or not. :lol: Besides, I haven't the funds to even afford rod stock yet much less some fancy shamcy wood to stick on the end. :lol:
Thank you for your insight and also weedsnager for the compliment. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
Ocelot55

Re: Spherical bowl pipe for critique

Post by Ocelot55 »

Jeremiah has some good points, however I don't agree with all of the critique.

What you were essentially trying to create was a "sphere on a stick" for lack of a better term, correct? In that case the appeal to "classic"shaping can be ignored. This is not a classic shape, although the forms are simple. I think the sharp transition is wholly appropriate.

You really picked a booger bear to try for number four and I think you achieved its essence, but when your form is so simple every little wobble of a line is going to scream out to the viewer. A sphere seems to me like one of the hardest shapes to create and make it look good.

As for the aluminum, I think that while delrin would have made the fit "feel" good. I don't see anything wrong with the way it is. You definitely need to take care of the chatter on the tenon chamfer, a simple 2 min fix.

I think this pipe provides an excellent learning opportunity, and it is certainly better than my fourth pipe. The lessons you learned on this one should help you tackle other shapes much easier.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Good points already, I tend to agree with Jesse. Standard critique doesn't apply completely here. The transition could be a bit nicer, but the sharp line is not inappropriate, same for the bowl dropping below the shank.
It isn't completely spherical but pretty close especially in profile.
At first glance I thought it has a factory pipe look to it. Overall though, I think the look sorta leans toward Italian, some new aluminum capped line from Ser Jacopo. So, thats not all bad
Part of the battle is laying out a pipe that will look decent when it's done, I think you've done that. The harder part is tightening up these little details with shaping and finishing, that can take a lot more work.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Thank you Jesse and Ryan for your honest opinions and critiques and I certainly understand.
And yes, Jesse that was my idea in a nut shell. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Lawdy, Lawdy, Nate, lookit what you gone and started, and tell us you don't feel a twinge of satisfaction.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

LatakiaLover wrote:Lawdy, Lawdy, Nate, lookit what you gone and started, and tell us you don't feel a twinge of satisfaction.

Truthfully I did not get inspiration from Nate, this was wholly based on pipes of the past, 50's era.
Sorry Nate, maybe next time. :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

RDPowell wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote:Lawdy, Lawdy, Nate, lookit what you gone and started, and tell us you don't feel a twinge of satisfaction.

Truthfully I did not get inspiration from Nate, this was wholly based on pipes of the past, 50's era.
:lol:

Except for a few cheapie models sold at the time Googie design was new and mainstream ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googie_architecture ) , "retro-50's inspired pipes" pretty much means "Nate King":

RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

LatakiaLover wrote:
RDPowell wrote:

:lol:

Except for a few cheapie models sold at the time Googie design was new and mainstream ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googie_architecture ) , "retro-50's inspired pipes" pretty much means "Nate King":

I didn't know he had the market cornered on 50's style pipes.
Instead of trying to insult people or just being a troll on a forum maybe you should find something more constructive to do with your spare time.
rdpipes.briar.club
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

RDPowell wrote:

Instead of trying to insult people or just being a troll on a forum maybe you should find something more constructive to do with your spare time.
Uh oh, a grumpy one. :shock:

You don't actually read this board much, do you? :lol:
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Honestly, being compared to Nate King is quite an honor, not an insult. George does come across abrasive if you don't know him. After chatting with him at the show and getting to know him a bit off the board, he's actually become a friend.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

sandahlpipe wrote:Honestly, being compared to Nate King is quite an honor, not an insult. George does come across abrasive if you don't know him. After chatting with him at the show and getting to know him a bit off the board, he's actually become a friend.
Lonesome George "abrasive"?? BS says I. He's smoother than 2000 grit paper.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

LatakiaLover wrote:
RDPowell wrote:

I read this board quite a bit and have tired of your insulting and combative comments. You said awhile back you were leaving, so what happened?

I don't mind being compared to Nate, that was not it, it was being implied I got my ideas and or inspiration from Nate and it's just not true.
When I do I'll admit it without hesitation.
rdpipes.briar.club
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

LatakiaLover wrote:
RDPowell wrote:

lol at George. A more mature and refined retort. I dig it!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

RDPowell wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote:
RDPowell wrote:

I read this board quite a bit and have tired of your insulting and combative comments. You said awhile back you were leaving, so what happened?

I don't mind being compared to Nate, that was not it, it was being implied I got my ideas and or inspiration from Nate and it's just not true.
Damn. An extra super-duper ultra grumpy one! :lol:

Prolly big an' mean, too. :shock:

What's next, are you going to invite me to step outside and "dance with you" in the parking lot, or something?
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

LatakiaLover wrote:
RDPowell wrote:
Damn. An extra super-duper ultra grumpy one! :lol:

Prolly big an' mean, too. :shock:

What's next, are you going to invite me to step outside and "dance with you" in the parking lot, or something?
I'm sorry I should not have stoop to your level and I apologize for that.
From now on I'll do what I should have done in the beginning, just ignore you.
rdpipes.briar.club
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

RDPowell wrote: From now on I'll do what I should have done in the beginning, just ignore you.
No, what you should have done in the beginning is noticed I was talking to Nate, not you (the giveaway was I addressed him by name), as a tease about him having "started a movement."

Whether or not he actually did wasn't---and isn't---the point. Shit like that is what friends do around here.

Instead, you decided to interpret what I said as some sort of attack on your integrity or character (I'm still trying to get my head around that) and go all TuffGuy.

Chill, dude.

(PS -- you don't ever want a metal mortise, your shank/bowl transition is much too defined/tight, and you need to work on holding straight lines.)
finster

Post by finster »

Someday I hope someone on this forum associates a pipe I make with a maker as established as Mr. King. I don't think anyone on this forum invented pipe making, we've all been influenced in our efforts. I guess there are some negatives to this forum not being broken :wink: .