To all of PMF

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
RDPowell

To all of PMF

Post by RDPowell »

I wish to discuss the earlier ado on the forum concerning me and one other member. After great thought I was a bit too fourth coming with my thoughts
of the other. I should have at least done it in private, better yet kept my mouth shut. As you must figure I'm a bit touchy and may have misunderstood what was being said as can be as you all know. It's hard to know sometimes how to take comments made when not being able to see ones face and expressions. I take what I do very seriously and when it was implied I stole my idea from another I got irritated, at least that's what I read, right or wrong. I have the feeling that now many may just think I'm an asshole looking for a fight and, that's just not true. I've always been courteous when ever I've posted and tried to get along with everyone. I admit I don't post a lot because it seemed they were just over looked anyway. It's been said that this place is intimidating and I'll have to agree because of not what happened but, as a fairly new member stepping in to a room of people they look up to I think it's natural, at least for me. Two, to some it may seem a little cliquey here and it does at times but, maybe that's just me again. But, let me get to my point, I figure see'en I raised a few eyebrows around here most will just pass over any of my posts further because my offense to a long time member. If this is to be done please excuse me from wasting your time and mine. I would like to become apart of this group or at least count on your truthful critiques and help answering my question about the craft. But, if most of you feel the need to punish me for maybe being just a little human so be it.
And Nate, if I had known I was being compared to you I would have taken it all differently. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
sandahlpipe

Re: To all of PMF

Post by sandahlpipe »

I wouldn't worry about the conflict. I'm pretty sure I was part of the reason LatakiaLover left the forum for a while. To get around the clique feeeling on the forum, a couple things will help.

1. Read as many posts on the forum as you can. Not only will this help improve your knowledge base about pipe making, but you'll get a feel for some of the people who post and realize who is joking and when.

2. Participate at least a couple times on the G+ hangouts. You'll get to talk with a lot of the regulars and you'll hear a lot of good shop talk, a lot of good advice about tools, and a lot more goofing off than you'd probably expect.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

sandahlpipe wrote:I wouldn't worry about the conflict. I'm pretty sure I was part of the reason LatakiaLover left the forum for a while. To get around the clique feeeling on the forum, a couple things will help.

1. Read as many posts on the forum as you can. Not only will this help improve your knowledge base about pipe making, but you'll get a feel for some of the people who post and realize who is joking and when. EDIT: today is exactly 2 years, who'd a known?

2. Participate at least a couple times on the G+ hangouts. You'll get to talk with a lot of the regulars and you'll hear a lot of good shop talk, a lot of good advice about tools, and a lot more goofing off than you'd probably expect.
Well, I've been reading and reading for about two years now and have gleaned a lot of knowledge and seen a lot of joking but, haven't really felt apart yet.
I haven't really a clue about Google + except it's maybe some kind of chat room? I have a hard enough time typing out my posts much less doing chats. Old man, old fashion. :lol:

Edit: It's been exactly 2 years to date, who'd a known? :P
Last edited by RDPowell on Thu May 14, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rdpipes.briar.club
finster

Post by finster »

I am just about a brand newbie with high aspirations planned over a long timeline. This forum is great, and yes, I do find it intimidating. I think when it comes to feedback and critique, comments should be accepted and thanked for. Easy for me to say since I've yet to post something in the gallery! Of course there are standards and criteria by which everyone critiques, but each person is an individual and we all have tastes and opinions. If I don't agree with an opinion...that's okay, all I need to say is "Thanks for the feedback!" and move on. And RD, I've read your posts, I don't think you're an asshole and with 2000+ members, there can be more than one clique. I think I'll start a dumbass newbie one, :lol: !
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

finster wrote:I am just about a brand newbie with high aspirations planned over a long timeline. This forum is great, and yes, I do find it intimidating. I think when it comes to feedback and critique, comments should be accepted and thanked for. Easy for me to say since I've yet to post something in the gallery! Of course there are standards and criteria by which everyone critiques, but each person is an individual and we all have tastes and opinions. If I don't agree with an opinion...that's okay, all I need to say is "Thanks for the feedback!" and move on. And RD, I've read your posts, I don't think you're an asshole and with 2000+ members, there can be more than one clique. I think I'll start a dumbass newbie one, :lol: !
Where do I sign up? :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
finster

Post by finster »

RDPowell wrote:
finster wrote:I am just about a brand newbie with high aspirations planned over a long timeline. This forum is great, and yes, I do find it intimidating. I think when it comes to feedback and critique, comments should be accepted and thanked for. Easy for me to say since I've yet to post something in the gallery! Of course there are standards and criteria by which everyone critiques, but each person is an individual and we all have tastes and opinions. If I don't agree with an opinion...that's okay, all I need to say is "Thanks for the feedback!" and move on. And RD, I've read your posts, I don't think you're an asshole and with 2000+ members, there can be more than one clique. I think I'll start a dumbass newbie one, :lol: !
Where do I sign up? :lol:
You just did! Welcome :D !
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Way too much ado about nothing, I think.

Wherever and whenever humans gather, some amount of shit happens. It's unavoidable.

Because Internet forums are particularly treacherous places given the well-known lack of vocal inflection and body language, I long ago decided the only rational way to deal with them was the Old Fashioned Way. The Gary Cooper way. The John Wayne way. And that was to make this perspective the ONLY perspective:

"Among honorable men intent is everything."

(I can hear Micah now... "Who the fuck's John Wayne?") :lol:

In short, since Ron and I are both honorable men, and neither intends the other harm, there is no problem. We just flared at each other a bit because we're cut from the same cloth.

Next subject.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Ron,

You are a dirty asshole and we all know it :wink:

It's all good. You got poked a little....welcome to the club!! If George hadn't thought you one of the group he wouldn't have teased you about your pipe. Plain and simple.

Keep posting your pipes. I, for one, really like to see what you are doing. I can't wait until you post one of the old fans you used to restore in the "Other Things We Make" section.....come on, I know you have a camera and I wanna see one 8)
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

scotties22 wrote:Ron,

You are a dirty asshole and we all know it :wink:

It's all good. You got poked a little....welcome to the club!! If George hadn't thought you one of the group he wouldn't have teased you about your pipe. Plain and simple.

Keep posting your pipes. I, for one, really like to see what you are doing. I can't wait until you post one of the old fans you used to restore in the "Other Things We Make" section.....come on, I know you have a camera and I wanna see one 8)
Thank you Scottie, It's been awhile since I've done any fans and I don't even know how you knew about them.
Sadly the bugger's are just too heavy for me to do anymore because of the ole back being as cantankerous as I am.
I could post a few I have photos of but, don't know if you've already seen them or not.
Thank you again for understanding an ole Peckerwood,................Mister Peckerwood to my acquaintances! :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I haven't ever seen a picture....would love to.

I think you mentioned them on BoB once upon a time......maybe?
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

scotties22 wrote:I haven't ever seen a picture....would love to.

I think you mentioned them on BoB once upon a time......maybe?
Oh okay, I'll see what I can find and post them Ma"am.
rdpipes.briar.club
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Its really hard to have a civil dissagreement here because no one likes to lose, but we all come back to shit in the same sandbox. Pipemakers are such a small percent of the population, we should all try to let things slide a little.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Duly noted sir
rdpipes.briar.club
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

LatakiaLover wrote:Way too much ado about nothing, I think.

Wherever and whenever humans gather, some amount of shit happens. It's unavoidable.

Because Internet forums are particularly treacherous places given the well-known lack of vocal inflection and body language, I long ago decided the only rational way to deal with them was the Old Fashioned Way. The Gary Cooper way. The John Wayne way. And that was to make this perspective the ONLY perspective:

"Among honorable men intent is everything."

(I can hear Micah now... "Who the fuck's John Wayne?") :lol:

In short, since Ron and I are both honorable men, and neither intends the other harm, there is no problem. We just flared at each other a bit because we're cut from the same cloth.

Next subject.
Agreed! :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
Alden

Post by Alden »

Whatever Ron, I've met you before, you were just trying to start a fight :lol:

I think those here that know George consider George a friend, so comments are usually taken with that in mind. I for one appreciate his direct and exacting criticism. But it's easy to get a East Texan rubbed the wrong way for no good reason hahaha. There was one guy a couple weeks ago almost got the boot and never even knew it. He was making fun of rednecks in general, and possibly me in particular (or maybe I was drunk and saw the whole thing wrong) and whatever I was drinking was going straight to my mean streak. Lucky for me I'm a little bit smarter than I used to be, and lucky for him he changed the subject hahaha.

I always feel bad right after I fly off the handle, and it sounds like you do too. You really should call George some time and talk pipes and trucks, you're two Crackers from the same Barrel.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Alden wrote:Whatever Ron, I've met you before, you were just trying to start a fight :lol:

I think those here that know George consider George a friend, so comments are usually taken with that in mind. I for one appreciate his direct and exacting criticism. But it's easy to get a East Texan rubbed the wrong way for no good reason hahaha. There was one guy a couple weeks ago almost got the boot and never even knew it. He was making fun of rednecks in general, and possibly me in particular (or maybe I was drunk and saw the whole thing wrong) and whatever I was drinking was going straight to my mean streak. Lucky for me I'm a little bit smarter than I used to be, and lucky for him he changed the subject hahaha.

I always feel bad right after I fly off the handle, and it sounds like you do too. You really should call George some time and talk pipes and trucks, you're two Crackers from the same Barrel.
Thank you Ryan............I think but, watch the Cracker comments big fella. :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
Alden

Post by Alden »

Two slices off the same loaf, of White Bread.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Dear PMF'ers ---

Since this business seems to have gotten people's attention around here (a sure-fire indicator that things have been slow lately :lol: ), be assured that all is well with both of us. We've been in touch via PM and came away laughing. The end.

Now let's get back to telling scandalous lies about Sas since he seems to be working on houses this week and isn't here to defend himself. :twisted:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Say whatever you like, all of you, but if I ever read "rubbed a big Texan" on this board again, it gets the fucking torch.

What I see here is a lot of "... and then George got fired up and fucked off". I'm thinking that the common denominator is George, not the fact that we're artisans, or pricks, or even Canadians.

It's Dibos man, plain and simple. He's an irritating fucker and there's just no way around it. All we can do is sort of take turns with the abrasion. :thumbsup:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Sasquatch wrote:Say whatever you like, all of you, but if I ever read "rubbed a big Texan" on this board again, it gets the fucking torch.

What I see here is a lot of "... and then George got fired up and fucked off". I'm thinking that the common denominator is George, not the fact that we're artisans, or pricks, or even Canadians.

It's Dibos man, plain and simple. He's an irritating fucker and there's just no way around it. All we can do is sort of take turns with the abrasion. :thumbsup:
Rubbing and abrasion in the same post,...now ya got me thinking,....maybe I'm in the wrong forum. :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club