Pipe Turd for your Perusal

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RDPowell

Pipe Turd for your Perusal

Post by RDPowell »

I screwed this poor pipe up right from the start with the chamber drilling I know but, tried to save it and at least finish it as a learning experience.
When drilling the chamber I grabbed what I though was a 7/8" chamber bit, oops after drilling I come to find out I had used a 15/16".
Not too much different but, gees, it sure did come out big. That and for some reason it chattered like a SOB (bit was new) so I ended up with a one inch chamber.
Then, out came the pits from hiding so I figured I'd just have it blasted by a near by member, well after more thought I hardly think it's worth that and just might rusticate it, I don't know at this point. Anyway, this is my 6th pipe? and probably 3rd or 4th hand cut stem. I would have used black but, I only had one piece and wanted to save it for a good pipe so ended up using some amber I ordered the wrong shade of instead. So without further ado here it is in all it's turdness.
:wink:

rdpipes.briar.club
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: Pipe Turd for your Perusal

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

overall it looks pretty good. I would take the time to blast it and you will have a decent pipe for yourself. If you blast it, I would taper the top of the bowl a bit more if you are looking for more of a billiard than a tall pot, although it may make the top of the bowl extremely thin. If you blast it you could put a little more taper on the shank as well and tighten up the point where the stem taper stops and abruptly becomes straight.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Joe Hinkle Pipes wrote:overall it looks pretty good. I would take the time to blast it and you will have a decent pipe for yourself. If you blast it, I would taper the top of the bowl a bit more if you are looking for more of a billiard than a tall pot, although it may make the top of the bowl extremely thin. If you blast it you could put a little more taper on the shank as well and tighten up the point where the stem taper stops and abruptly becomes straight.
I'd be afraid to tapper the top of the bowl for fear it would just get too thin, we're looking at only about 1/4" in thickness there.
I've found in the past that the more I screw with something the worse it gets so I'm more apt to just leave it alone and go to the next one.
I see what your talking about with the stem now but, thought it was okay that way. :banghead:
Maybe I'll have it blasted but, I'm certainly putting a bowl coating in cause of the chattering and the pit that showed up in it.
Thank you for your advice sir I'll certainly use it on my next. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

A bunch of good.... the stem taper is the thing that catches my eye most, would be good if it started tapering right at the shank.

The shank is heavy, looks all the more heavy because of the relative delicacy of the bowl - it's not too thin, it's fine. But if the shank was smaller, the whole pipe would have a very old-timey look and feel to it. Check out those old Dunhill and BBB pipes... not much wood on a lot of them. And they last 100 years.

Slot and button look good, but I'd deepen that v a long way into the stem.

Quit buying shitty briar.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Sasquatch wrote:A bunch of good.... the stem taper is the thing that catches my eye most, would be good if it started tapering right at the shank.

The shank is heavy, looks all the more heavy because of the relative delicacy of the bowl - it's not too thin, it's fine. But if the shank was smaller, the whole pipe would have a very old-timey look and feel to it. Check out those old Dunhill and BBB pipes... not much wood on a lot of them. And they last 100 years.

Slot and button look good, but I'd deepen that v a long way into the stem.

Quit buying shitty briar.
Okay, reckon I'm just too influenced by the large Italian pipes but, I can see exactly what your saying. I'm almost tempted to stick it back on the lathe and turn the shank down but, there's that gremlin that keeps following me when I mess with something more the a few times.
And I'll certainly deepen the next stems slot sir but, could you tell me the purpose of the extremely (at least to me) deep funnel?
And tell Ryan to quit selling this crap, I think he was afraid I might turn out a better pipe then him! :lol:

In all fairness I paid very little for the blocks I got from him, besides a turd turner like me doesn't need Mimo briar until he figures out what the hell he's doing. :lol:
Thank you kindly Sas for your guidance and advice. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

When you smoke a Dunhill, and that draw is just so darn smooth, it actually feels different than most other pipes. It's the deep smooth slot.

Your slot is fine, pipe will smoke fine. Castello makes a slit trench and that smokes fine! But that little extra depth goes a long way (also lets you cut a thinner stem eventually).
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Sasquatch wrote:When you smoke a Dunhill, and that draw is just so darn smooth, it actually feels different than most other pipes. It's the deep smooth slot.

Your slot is fine, pipe will smoke fine. Castello makes a slit trench and that smokes fine! But that little extra depth goes a long way (also lets you cut a thinner stem eventually).
Okay, I understand now, thank you for explaining it sir. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
Alden

Post by Alden »

Whoever sold you that crap briar is an asshole ! Hope he didn't charge you much !
Besides that though, you have a Dublin here when I think you were making a Billiard. It's really not either, sort of floating in between. Bringing in the sides toward the top would give you what you want. Shaping is pretty nice otherwise as far as the lines go. Of course you want to work on that more, keeping all the lines flowing and crisp, without the little tremor in shape here and there.
Other thing is the shank. It *looks* smaller at the bowl than at the stem, and it may be that or may be the optical illusion you get from a perfectly straight, untapered shank. It is easy to get that off the mark when you're sanding at the transition to the bowl. I start out oversized at the bowl and a sharper taper to the shank than what I want to end up with. Gives me room to work. I still fuck it up sometimes anyway.
If you are just going to smoke the pipe yourself, I'd keep it as is, but if you have the means to rusticate it you could go that way or send it to me and I'll blast it for some money, chicken eggs, honey, fresh vegetables, good sandpaper, fishing rods, a weedeater, chainsaw bar oil, dog food, bullets, a splitting ax etc.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Alden wrote:Whoever sold you that crap briar is an asshole ! Hope he didn't charge you much !
Besides that though, you have a Dublin here when I think you were making a Billiard. It's really not either, sort of floating in between. Bringing in the sides toward the top would give you what you want. Shaping is pretty nice otherwise as far as the lines go. Of course you want to work on that more, keeping all the lines flowing and crisp, without the little tremor in shape here and there.
Other thing is the shank. It *looks* smaller at the bowl than at the stem, and it may be that or may be the optical illusion you get from a perfectly straight, untapered shank. It is easy to get that off the mark when you're sanding at the transition to the bowl. I start out oversized at the bowl and a sharper taper to the shank than what I want to end up with. Gives me room to work. I still fuck it up sometimes anyway.
If you are just going to smoke the pipe yourself, I'd keep it as is, but if you have the means to rusticate it you could go that way or send it to me and I'll blast it for some money, chicken eggs, honey, fresh vegetables, good sandpaper, fishing rods, a weedeater, chainsaw bar oil, dog food, bullets, a splitting ax etc.
I think your right about the shank being tapered towards the bowl, there was a nasty bump in it there I was sanding down and I must have went overboard in one spot too long. I seen it but, I too thought it might be an optical allusion at first. I bet if I mic it you'll be right. I don't want to smoke this one Ryan, the chambers just too big for my smokes and to tell ya the truth I don't want to smoke any of mine. Not that I think they would smoke poorly, just doesn't interest me, I'd rather smoke someone else's. So anyway, I'll most likely leave this as it is and send it to that Asshole who sold me the blocks and hope he does a good job without screw'en me too awfully bad.

And thank you too for the guidance and advice sir :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The only thing I would add is that the bite zone on the stem isn't flat enough. You want the bite zone to be close to flat in the middle with just a bit of rounding over towards the sides. Too rounded and the pipe will wobble between the teeth if you clench it.

Other than that, I wouldn't consider this a turd. Keep on practicing. You're not far off from a billiard...or at least not as far off as my first several attempts.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

That turd makes my decent pipes look like turds.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

baiguai wrote:That turd makes my decent pipes look like turds.
Thank you sir,your very kind. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
socrates

Post by socrates »

I reckon I'm missing something in the definition of"turd". Very nice pipe work. Thanks for showing it.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

socrates wrote:I reckon I'm missing something in the definition of"turd". Very nice pipe work. Thanks for showing it.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
Than you sir :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club