BRIAR IS BEAUTIFUL!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
oklahoma red

BRIAR IS BEAUTIFUL!

Post by oklahoma red »

I never cease to be amazed at the beauty that can be found in a piece of briar. Another DA commission.

LatakiaLover

Re: BRIAR IS BEAUTIFUL!

Post by LatakiaLover »

Put a straightedge against the shank/stem combo---top and bottom---while holding the pipe in front of a well lit white background. Oops.

Also, your stem can't quite decide if it wants to be a taper or a saddle. The "swoop cut" to the blade should be more pronounced, I think.

Nice button & slot.

Nice wood.

There's some bowl and shank/bowl transition oddness going on, but i don't know how to describe it so will leave it to the "know how to draw lines on pics and re-post them" crowd.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:Put a straightedge against the shank/stem combo---top and bottom---while holding the pipe in front of a well lit white background. Oops.

Also, your stem can't quite decide if it wants to be a taper or a saddle. The "swoop cut" to the blade should be more pronounced, I think.

Nice button & slot.

Nice wood.

There's some bowl and shank/bowl transition oddness going on, but i don't know how to describe it so will leave it to the "know how to draw lines on pics and re-post them" crowd.
The straight-edge situation is not really as pronounced as it appears here. There is some tho. Bad on me. Everything else is as what the customer wanted, trust me. We had numerous email conversations. There are a bazillion ways of cutting a DA. I've made a bunch and no two have been shaped the same. Everyone has their ideas.
This one has a stainless shank liner/tenon and the stem has the mortise. It's short which not much room to work. Thanks for the opinion.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

PS --- What's up with the color on the rim? Almost looks "pre darkened."

10-4 on the DA shape being intrinsically a bit strange and the lack of a standard.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:PS --- What's up with the color on the rim? Almost looks "pre darkened."

10-4 on the DA shape being intrinsically a bit strange and the lack of a standard.
Angle and lighting I guess. No flim-flam going on.
Figure out your tenon-from-hell yet?
I'm crashing, need my beauty sleep.