A Doggie Turd for your Critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RDPowell

A Doggie Turd for your Critique

Post by RDPowell »

This was a challenge for me to make getting the dadburn diamond shank right and straight yet tapered.
It didn't come out exactly the way I wanted it but, we'll make another to see if I get closer. The button isn't
usually a big problem for me but, this time I cut the slot cockeyed and tried to straighten it up but, alas, this
ones for that cockeyed smoker we see from time to time. Reckon I'll cut another stem for it later when I get some
more black Acrylic or Ebonite. Another pit showed up on the side so I tried to hide it with the dark stain and,
that didn't come out how I planed at all, can you see any red in it? I can't but I'm colorblind. Anyway, dog turd
for you critique.

Last edited by RDPowell on Mon May 25, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdpipes.briar.club
calsbeek

Re: A Doggie Turd for your Critique

Post by calsbeek »

calling this a turn offends me and my own shitty abilities.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

calsbeek wrote:calling this a turn offends me and my own shitty abilities.
It's just a joke, but, not too far off from the truth because of it's faults.
When I'm able to make a pipe without flaws, then I'll quit calling them turds :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Not a bad pipe. The top line of the shank turns upwards a little abruptly. There is a definite break in the top and bottom of the stem in the transition from diamond to flat.

Finally, it looks like you drilled a straight bulldog stummel and then bent the stem. If you're gonna bend the stem, repeat that bend somehow in the stummel (usually by a curve in the shank) or just leave the stem straight.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

sandahlpipe wrote:Not a bad pipe. The top line of the shank turns upwards a little abruptly. There is a definite break in the top and bottom of the stem in the transition from diamond to flat.

Finally, it looks like you drilled a straight bulldog stummel and then bent the stem. If you're gonna bend the stem, repeat that bend somehow in the stummel (usually by a curve in the shank) or just leave the stem straight.
Thank you, the shank is at an angle, not much but, it is hence the bent stem. The angled photos deceive the eye. :wink:
And I see what you mean by the stem breaking from diamond to flat transition, it's got to be recut anyway.
rdpipes.briar.club
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The shank is indeed at an angle, but there isn't a curve in the shank. There should be a curve in the shank on a bent pipe.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

sandahlpipe wrote:The shank is indeed at an angle, but there isn't a curve in the shank. There should be a curve in the shank on a bent pipe.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I have plenty of pipes that have angled shanks made by well known makers that aren't curved, Bulldogs included. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

RDPowell wrote: made by well known makers
I've seen plenty of "well known" makers who aren't necessarily doing it right. :wink:

IAWJ
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

RDPowell wrote:
sandahlpipe wrote:The shank is indeed at an angle, but there isn't a curve in the shank. There should be a curve in the shank on a bent pipe.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I have plenty of pipes that have angled shanks made by well known makers that aren't curved, Bulldogs included. :wink:
Show me one.

Visually, the taper is too large and carried too far in this pipe (removing any pretense of a bend again). The chin therefore looks very heavy. Lots of material could come off the bottom line of the pipe.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Sasquatch wrote:
RDPowell wrote:
Show me one.

Visually, the taper is too large and carried too far in this pipe (removing any pretense of a bend again). The chin therefore looks very heavy. Lots of material could come off the bottom line of the pipe.
And yes I can see there is way too much meat on the chin of the bowl and the tapper is definitely off. Next one hopefully will improve.
I'm not really happy about this one either.
Here's one, shank is straight but, at an angle not curved.
and one other

Maybe we're having a misinterpretation here of some sort. 95% or better of ALL my Bulldogs have straight shanks but, range from a little angle to a lot.
Without searching I've only found one with a curved shank. Curve meaning a arc in the shank. The only curve and any of the others is on the heel and some continuing to the bottom of the bowl. :-?
rdpipes.briar.club
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Quit copying ugly pipes then I guess. :thumbsup:

Go look at a Peterson 80s. Copy that.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Sasquatch wrote:Quit copying ugly pipes then I guess. :thumbsup:

Go look at a Peterson 80s. Copy that.
I reckon just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
That's not saying my pipe was any beauty, I now see it's faults and understand them.
My next Bulldog hopefully won't have as many faults. I do appreciate your help sir. :wink:

I have a Pete 80, nice look'en pipe but I hate them because you can't pass a cleaner without pull'en the stem. Stupid system pipe. :banghead:
Besides, I can barely make a straight diamond shank much less one with a curve in it. :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

To my eye, the "chin" on the pipe looks okay. Not classic bulldog, but I like it.

Your pipes look better than mine, so I hesitate to give any advice. But I'll say this: in principle, the lowest point on the bowl of a pipe is usually (not always) under the back half of the bowl. The lowest point on yours is just forward of the center line on the bowl, making it look heavy.
- Steve S.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Literaryworkshop wrote:To my eye, the "chin" on the pipe looks okay. Not classic bulldog, but I like it.

Your pipes look better than mine, so I hesitate to give any advice. But I'll say this: in principle, the lowest point on the bowl of a pipe is usually (not always) under the back half of the bowl. The lowest point on yours is just forward of the center line on the bowl, making it look heavy.
Yes sir, I understand and see that now.
rdpipes.briar.club
socrates

Post by socrates »

I would be happy to find this"turd" on my front yard lawn. Great looking and thanks for letting us see it.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

socrates wrote:I would be happy to find this"turd" on my front yard lawn. Great looking and thanks for letting us see it.

Somebody just might find it, cause while cutting a new stem I decided to straight up the shank and really made a turd out of it.
So it's now relegated to the turd pile. :banghead:
rdpipes.briar.club
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Unless your pipes are priced too high, they are not turds. It is all price relative. This is a nice bulldog.

Your finish needs improving to get even and vivid color. Experiment on some scrap with a few different techniques.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
andrew

Post by andrew »

RDPowell wrote:
socrates wrote:I would be happy to find this"turd" on my front yard lawn. Great looking and thanks for letting us see it.

Somebody just might find it, cause while cutting a new stem I decided to straight up the shank and really made a turd out of it.
I always find it less productive to "fix" things once the pipe is finished. Better to start a new pipe.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

PremalChheda wrote:Unless your pipes are priced too high, they are not turds. It is all price relative. This is a nice bulldog.

Your finish needs improving to get even and vivid color. Experiment on some scrap with a few different techniques.
Premal, I'm not selling my pipes, there not up to my expectations yet, everyone has at least one fault.
Thank you for the compliment but, as I stated earlier, I've turned in to one by trying to improve on it but, only ending up ruining it.
As far as my finish I'm afraid it won't get much better because I'm color blind. Basic colors are about all I can really do cause I can't see
the changes. I used a red secondary stain and I can't even see it, so I don't know if it took or not. Besides I like brown anyway :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

andrew wrote:
RDPowell wrote:

I always find it less productive to "fix" things once the pipe is finished. Better to start a new pipe.
So do I normally but, it seems a a few had little good to say about it so I took a chance, my fault.
rdpipes.briar.club