Pipe #8, A Diplomatic Prince

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
clickklick

Pipe #8, A Diplomatic Prince

Post by clickklick »

Here's my latest. I have no idea if this is more of a diplomat or more of a prince. The button and slot shaping are killing me. The battery on my camera was dying so I rushed and forgot to snap one of the right side.

All criticism and tip/pointers are encouraged! I was working on my first saddle bit today and sanded down too close to my delrin tenon and it went snappy :( I will remake a stem, and post that one when it is done. Thanks for looking!

Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
sandahlpipe

Re: Pipe #8, A Diplomatic Prince

Post by sandahlpipe »

There's some improvement going on here for sure! A couple things to work on:

1. Symmetry: especially the picture from the bottom shows a bulge on the right side.
2. Bowl/Shank junction. Take your time with some hand files to take away material around where the shank meets the bowl.

Keep up the good work. You're progressing nicely.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
clickklick

Re: Pipe #8, A Diplomatic Prince

Post by clickklick »

Thanks Jeremiah. I see the symmetry issue. I've been focusing on keeping the sanding smooth so symmetry will be next. For fear of taking too much off I did hit the shank bowl junction with a needle file but you are right, I need to spend more time there.

Thank you!

Anything else guys? I have the next one started.
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.