First Briar pipe "Smokey Island"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
carlMichael

First Briar pipe "Smokey Island"

Post by carlMichael »

Hi!

This pipe is my first made out of Briar. Hope you all like it and if not... please give me some advices criticisms about it.

Yours

carlMichael
sandahlpipe

Re: First Briar pipe "Smokey Island"

Post by sandahlpipe »

That's a nice pipe!

The drilling looks a bit funky to me. It looks like you have the airway meeting underneath the bottom of the chamber. Other than that, it's quite good for a first.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

It's an okay first pipe. There are a few things you did better than most first pipes and several mistakes that are typical of early pipes. Your junction between the stem and shank is better than most and your button work as far as I can tell looks pretty decent. It's hard to say for sure without a profile photos. Your stem length in relation to the stummel looks pretty well proportioned. Although it could be improved, your stain and finish is better than most. As Jeremiah pointed out, the airway and tobacco chamber drilling needs work. Your tobacco chamber profile is a bit of a mess. It looks like your bit is cylindrical and then there's a sharp edge near the bottom where it tapers or rounds very shallow. Or, you drilled with an unmodified standard point bit or forstner bit then rounded the bottom. You need to get rid of that edge by rounding or tapering your chamber bit. You also want the bottom of your airway and the bottom of your tobacco chamber to meet. Your current drilling will be prone to gurgling because moisture will collect where your airway enters the tobacco chamber. Your bowl has flat sides I'm assuming due to the width of the block you used. It would be better if you rounded the bowl. Your shank looks like it doesn't know if it wants to be squared, round, or oval. If you're going for square then it needs to be crisp and purposeful. If you were going for oval or round, you need to take off more material. The groove you cut around the rim is too thick. Standard parting tools are generally too thick. It's easy enough to modify or make your own tool that will cut thinner grooves. Your bowl height is too short. That's a lot, I know, but don't be discouraged. You did a lot of things better than most starting out. Keep at it.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
carlMichael

Post by carlMichael »

Hi!

Many thanks for constructive criticism :-). I've learned a lot from it even if its not so easy to understand it all sense mi first language isn't English. Had to read it several times...

This is how it looks from the side.
DSCN0755.JPG
(128.22 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
I have today made 8 pipes and from that of course learned a lot by my self also. One thing is that I have changed the look of my
drilling "spoon bit" and it looks like this now. But I think that I have to make it even more round in the corners if I understand your criticism right.
DSCN0750.JPG
(96.76 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
The tobacco chamber is 17mm on this one... a little beet short I know but my thought was that not everybody wants to smoke big/full stop every time... ant this was a "left over piece" and had no more space :wink: ;-)

By the way... in what category of pipes can I put this one?

Thanks again fore advising.

Yours!

cM
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

You need to remove the point from your chamber bit as well as rounding the corners as well.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget