Learning by doing pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
carlMichael

Learning by doing pipe

Post by carlMichael »

Hi Friends!

As a knife maker in Sweden I do have a lot of curly Birch lying around. So when I decided to go into become a pipe maker also I decided to practice on a block of Birch. This is what come out of it... my first ever made pipe.
cM Björk (4).JPG
(130.02 KiB) Downloaded 686 times
Steam made out of stabilized black spruce.

Sense I never before I made this one did smoke I had to learn about smoking also :fencing: I did after a whie understand that the smoking channel was to wide in this one and had to modify it a bit. so now it looks like this sense I also wanted a longer steam.
DSC_0017.JPG
(116.19 KiB) Downloaded 686 times
This time the steam is made of stabilized Bog oak and mammoth.

Its fun to make pipes :thumbsup:

Any thoughts about this one?

carlMichael
joe_williams1981

Re: Learning by doing pipe

Post by joe_williams1981 »

Amazing work!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Amazing pipe given your choice of materials. Making a wooden stem and bending it is way beyond my skill set.
I like the overall proportions of the first iteration better than the longer stemmed version but the shank (smoking channel?) and back of the bowl look better and more finished on the second.
I think the two part stem is remarkable, just a tad long.
The birch is beautiful. How does it smoke?
I am assuming that you turned the bowl top and shank face on a lathe with hand shaping the rest of the bowl, correct me if I'm wrong. In the first iteration the area of the bowl below the turned part is not a perfect circle which looks a little unfinished to my eye, and the shoulder produced at the stem junction produces a discontinuous jarring note on the first iteration which is improved but not eliminated in the second. When working with briar and ebonite, the best results are achieved by working the stummel and stem as a unit. I don't know how this would work with a wooden stem.
I am looking forward to seeing what you do with traditional briar and ebonite.
DocAitch.
Last edited by DocAitch on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Very nice to see your work. Always new takes out here!!!