Pipe No3

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DeanWakeman

Pipe No3

Post by DeanWakeman »

HI all
Any advice or pointers where I could be making improvements would be much appreciated, also any advice on how to be more engaged with the creative side of pipe making other than just carve more, I tend to think everything from an engineering point of view as it is what I am used to & have never been an artistic type, I have taken a bit of advice from a video by Walt & I am sketching pipe shapes daily in a notepad which is giving me idea's for shapes I would like to try
many thanks in advance
Dean
Attachments
P1120863.jpg
(172.69 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
P1120864.jpg
(181.92 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
P1120866.jpg
(122.97 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
P1120870.jpg
(92.34 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
P1120871.jpg
(58.33 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
Ratimus

Re: Pipe No3

Post by Ratimus »

Looks like your research and development is paying off! Finish is fantastic; I don't see any scratch marks. Stain looks a bit uneven in places but that may just be the lighting. The bit is well polished, even behind the button (which is notoriously tough to polish). I'd like to see more meat come off the heel and the stem thinned down. The shank/bowl transition could also stand to be tightened up. For #3 this is outstanding. Keep drawing pipes and training your eye on balance and composition and you'll be knocking out some sweet pipes in no time.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

A lot of good things on this pipe. I would have personally put a very slight bend in the stem, otherwise you will have the top of the bowl pointing towards your face a bit, although in this pipe it's subtle, but it's something that should generally be avoided. Not too late to make this adjustment. For your 3rd pipe, you should be proud. Keep it up.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Nice job!

Only thing I can recommend is a bit of a shorter stem and definitely needs a slight bend. Great number 3!
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
DeanWakeman

Post by DeanWakeman »

Thank you very much gent's, I will take it back to the workshop & thin the stem & put a slight bend in it, I was 50/50 about putting a bend in the stem, but the advice here that I value has made my mind up now
Much appreciated guy's & thanks once again