No. 9 pipe Cavalier

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RDPowell

No. 9 pipe Cavalier

Post by RDPowell »

It took me awhile to do this cause It as many of the pipes I've done had troubles but, after getting most straighten out
I finally said it's done. It has a hand cut Ebonite stem and plug along with an ebonite back bone with Acrylic ends (for the life of me I can't think of the word :banghead: ). Feel free to critique cause I feel kinda good about this one considering all the trouble I've had with it. I know there's a few things a bit wrong but, all in all I think it came out well. I tried a little different technique on finishing this one and I think it looks pretty good but, what the hell I know,
I'm colorblind.

rdpipes.briar.club
taharris

Re: No. 9 pipe Cavalier

Post by taharris »

Ron,

You are improving rapidly!

Todd
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

taharris wrote:Ron,

You are improving rapidly!

Todd
Todd, It feels like I'm moving in slow motion but, thank you sir! :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
finster

Post by finster »

Really nice pipe, sir. Finish looks great, I love the "backbone". Does it sit, or stand on the end cap? If I were to change anything I might put less bend on the stem, but I'd be proud of that pipe as is. :thumbsup:
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

finster wrote:Really nice pipe, sir. Finish looks great, I love the "backbone". Does it sit, or stand on the end cap? If I were to change anything I might put less bend on the stem, but I'd be proud of that pipe as is. :thumbsup:
Thank you sir! :wink:
Oops! Forgot to answer your 1st question, Nope, it doesn't stand well, one breath and it's over but, I didn't intended it to stand anyway.
Maybe the next one I'll make a sitter of some sort.
rdpipes.briar.club
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Can I ask what you used for staining because that is gorgeous and wouldn't mind trying it on one of my next pipes!
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
Effe

Post by Effe »

Great pipe,excellent finish!
Deep Blue sea @ sky..freedom for the Soul..
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Thanks guys, :wink:
I just used Russet stain for the base and Saddle tan for the top coat.
rdpipes.briar.club
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

Did you end up drilling it like a cavalier as well? I think I read elsewhere that this was more of an aesthetic piece than a fully engineered pipe.
Either way, its gorgeous.
the ebonite work is just beautiful.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

calsbeek wrote:Did you end up drilling it like a cavalier as well? I think I read elsewhere that this was more of an aesthetic piece than a fully engineered pipe.
Either way, its gorgeous.
the ebonite work is just beautiful.
Thank you and it IS drilled like a Cavalier and certainly not an Esthetic piece.
It would do me little good making pipes one can not smoke. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

as a fellow colorblind pipe maker, I salute you.... your finish on this one outstanding !
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

seamonster wrote:as a fellow colorblind pipe maker, I salute you.... your finish on this one outstanding !
Thank you sir! :wink:

What's your problem colors?
Mine is mainly greens and browns but, and as you probably know, others depending on how far away they are.
Also have problems with pinks either lookin like grey or vise versa. :banghead:
rdpipes.briar.club
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

mine are red and green... though, talking with my 6 year old daughter, apparently I can't see ANY colors.... my years as a painter, and hours and hourss of color theory in art school have helped, and I guess there's a reason most companies write the name of the color on the tube/tin/jar, etc... I try to stick to contrasts I can understand: warm/cool, light/dark, saturated/muted, and always keep a color wheel handy. regardless, sometimes my choices are just.... off. anyway, great work on this pipe... I've seen leaps and bounds in your work as of late!
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Alden

Post by Alden »

Ron overall I think it works as a pipe. I like it for the most part. The one thing that I think doesnt flow is the shape of the bowl. Its not particularly graceful, just seems to jut out of the shank. I think the main thing is the cheeks at the bottom of the bowl should be mimicing the shape of the inside chamber instead of following the lines of the shank. On the front/lowest edge of the bowl theres not really any "cheek" at all. If you had taken off the material here it would look more like a pipe bowl and less like a random thing sticking out of a shank.
Another thing you might consider is the inlays. In a case like this you either want them to match or contrast. I think I would have matched them so both inlays were the same length, and the ebonite had the same transition leaving the inlay
on both ends. The stem has a sort of scoop transition, and the cap has a taper transition. I would have done the "scoop" on both ends, with the stem going from scoop to flat and the cap going from scoop to perfectly round.
That is all subjective but however you accomplish it, a more graceful bowl and more closely matching the inlays would give you a better looking pipe in my opinion.
As it is, I like the pipe overall. Reminds of a piece of wrapped up candy, maybe a Tootsie Roll.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Alden wrote:Ron overall I think it works as a pipe. I like it for the most part. The one thing that I think doesnt flow is the shape of the bowl. Its not particularly graceful, just seems to jut out of the shank. I think the main thing is the cheeks at the bottom of the bowl should be mimicing the shape of the inside chamber instead of following the lines of the shank. On the front/lowest edge of the bowl theres not really any "cheek" at all. If you had taken off the material here it would look more like a pipe bowl and less like a random thing sticking out of a shank.
Another thing you might consider is the inlays. In a case like this you either want them to match or contrast. I think I would have matched them so both inlays were the same length, and the ebonite had the same transition leaving the inlay
on both ends. The stem has a sort of scoop transition, and the cap has a taper transition. I would have done the "scoop" on both ends, with the stem going from scoop to flat and the cap going from scoop to perfectly round.
That is all subjective but however you accomplish it, a more graceful bowl and more closely matching the inlays would give you a better looking pipe in my opinion.
As it is, I like the pipe overall. Reminds of a piece of wrapped up candy, maybe a Tootsie Roll.
Thank you Ryan, I was wondering when someone was going to pick apart this suffering turd of a pipe.
To tell ya the truth the inlays are there to fix f**k-ups and there length are what they needed to be.
I agree with you on the bowl and it's lopsided if you look closely also. As I told Premal I did this pipe because I like and collect Cavaliers.
And wont attempt another till I know what the hell I'm doing. Back to basic and simpler pipes so I can sell some to recoup my
cash to purchase more fricken blocks and rod stock and try and make a little money. That is if I can make one I'm comfortable selling so far that hasn't happened. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
socrates

Post by socrates »

Really nice! Love this shape and one day I will add one to my collection.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk