Tomato "L'Atalante"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
maxmil

Tomato "L'Atalante"

Post by maxmil »

This pipe is dedicated to the great French actor Michel Simon, pipe smoker, who plays the character Sailor Père Jules Jean Vigo film entitled "L'Atalante", 1934.
Best regards.
Félix

Esta pipa se la dedico al gran actor francés Michel Simon, fumador de pipa, que interpreta al personaje del marinero Père Jules en la película de Jean Vigo titulada "L'Atalante", del año 1934.
Saludos.
Félix

pipedreamer

Re: Tomato "L'Atalante"

Post by pipedreamer »

I love your work!!!!
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Thank you very much.
Best regards.
Félix
pipedreamer wrote:I love your work!!!!
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Where the shank dips below the bottom level of the bowl is throwing my eye off.
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

It is a design feature of this pipe.
Best regards, and thanks for the comment.
Félix

Es una característica del diseño de esta pipa.
Saludos, y gracias por el comentario.
Félix
clickklick wrote:Where the shank dips below the bottom level of the bowl is throwing my eye off.
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

So you are only posting your pipes for praise and are not open to critiques?

If that kink and droop in your shank is a "design feature", it is a poor one. It really does detract from what would be an otherwise stunning pipe.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

It is an opinion I respect and appreciate, and as valid as mine.
Best regards.
Félix

Es una opinión que respeto y agradezco, y tan válida como la mía.
Saludos.
Félix

clickklick wrote:So you are only posting your pipes for praise and are not open to critiques?

If that kink and droop in your shank is a "design feature", it is a poor one. It really does detract from what would be an otherwise stunning pipe.
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

You wouldn't happen to be friends with Mike Messer, would you?

Just curious.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

You are out of line click click
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

And you?.
Best regards.
Félix

P.D..- Am I Galician.

¿Y usted?.
Saludos.
Félix

P.D..- Es que soy gallego.
clickklick wrote:You wouldn't happen to be friends with Mike Messer, would you?

Just curious.
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

clickklick wrote:So you are only posting your pipes for praise and are not open to critiques?

Maxmil did not ask for critique, so can we assume he doesn't want it? Or, because he did not say "please don't critique," do we assume he's open to it? This kind of re-iterates the need to clarify one's intentions when posting to the gallery.

I think clickklick raises a valid point and is not entirely out of line, though it was a bit hasty to compare Maxmil to MM without first trying to understand his intentions.

Maxmil, I like many things about this pipe, though I too feel the kink in the shank could be done better, and I'm sure a large percentage of people would agree with me. That said, having seen a number of your gallery posts and your response to criticism, I'm pretty sure you don't really care what any body else thinks you could do do improve your pipes. If you are doing it only to please yourself or if you have a loyal customer base who loves your work, more power to you.

Of course this brings up another common issue, which is "does everybody really need to strive to make ultra-high-grade pipes?" My personal opinion that I humbly submit for your consideration, Maxmil, would be to simply include a"no critiques, please" in every gallery post of yours. I believe it could go a long way toward preventing unnecessary drama instead of allowing issues like these to arrise.

Just my two cents.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by maxmil »

Mr. Richardson:
For me this elaborate pipes is no more than a hobby. Nor do I seek perfection, or doing business; I'm too lazy to spend too much time preparing a pipe, and for marketing. I am 70 years old and prefer to devote more time to other activities that entertain me more.
Whoever wants to criticize my work I do, and who does, too, but will have to stick to my answers.
It's that simple.
Best regards.
Félix

Sr. Richardson:
Para mí esto de elaborar pipas no es mas que una afición. Ni busco la perfección, ni hacer negocio; soy demasiado vago para dedicar demasiado tiempo a la elaboración de una pipa, y para hacer marketing. Tengo 70 años y prefiero dedicarle más tiempo a otras actividades que me entretengan más.
Quien quiera hacer crítica de mi trabajo que lo haga, y quien no, también, pero tendrá que atenerse a mis respuestas.
Es así de sencillo.
Saludos.
Félix
Ratimus wrote:

Maxmil did not ask for critique, so can we assume he doesn't want it? Or, because he did not say "please don't critique," do we assume he's open to it? This kind of re-iterates the need to clarify one's intentions when posting to the gallery.

I think clickklick raises a valid point and is not entirely out of line, though it was a bit hasty to compare Maxmil to MM without first trying to understand his intentions.

Maxmil, I like many things about this pipe, though I too feel the kink in the shank could be done better, and I'm sure a large percentage of people would agree with me. That said, having seen a number of your gallery posts and your response to criticism, I'm pretty sure you don't really care what any body else thinks you could do do improve your pipes. If you are doing it only to please yourself or if you have a loyal customer base who loves your work, more power to you.

Of course this brings up another common issue, which is "does everybody really need to strive to make ultra-high-grade pipes?" My personal opinion that I humbly submit for your consideration, Maxmil, would be to simply include a"no critiques, please" in every gallery post of yours. I believe it could go a long way toward preventing unnecessary drama instead of allowing issues like these to arrise.

Just my two cents.
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Check the sticky Read This Before You Post A Photo. I assumed this gallery was for the sole intent of looking for critiques. So I apologize for any hard feelings.

I didn't feel I was out of line as when I read the archives back when Todd and Bruce and Sasquatch were active, jabbing was encouraged and commonplace. Sorry.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Thank you for posting Maxmil. I enjoy seeing your work and the other movie pictures you post with them.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I assure you that I do not hold any resentment.
However, I must confess to you that your comment on the shank I thought an authentic "chorrada"; I say it with all respect.
Best regard.
Félix

Le aseguro a usted que no le guardo resentimiento alguno.
No obstante, he de confesarle que su comentario sobre el vástago me pareció una autentica "chorrada". Se lo digo con todo el respeto.
Saludos.
Félix

clickklick wrote:Check the sticky Read This Before You Post A Photo. I assumed this gallery was for the sole intent of looking for critiques. So I apologize for any hard feelings.

I didn't feel I was out of line as when I read the archives back when Todd and Bruce and Sasquatch were active, jabbing was encouraged and commonplace. Sorry.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Many thanks, Andrew.
Best regards.
Félix
andrew wrote:Thank you for posting Maxmil. I enjoy seeing your work and the other movie pictures you post with them.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Maxmil has been a long time pipe maker and should not be compared to our resident NUT! Respect should be paramount towards each other!
ronps

Post by ronps »

Agreed.

We're all in the same game here.

I come here to look and to learn as a relatively new pipe maker and not a particularly good one at this point. But seeing the works posted here and taking in the critiques helps and generally helps, almost always provides food for thought.

By objective standards features of any pipe might strike any one of us as unusual or a deviation from the norm. In this section it's fair game to point that stuff out. When we post a piece for review, we can expect that.

It's also fair game to critique the critique, instead of merely bowing our heads and saying words to the effect of "thanks for the great insight". Doesn't happen often and when it does it's often a defensive reaction to an often valid point.

That's not the case here.

What we're seeing is what the artist intended. Somethings throwing your eye; good point. It's a design feature; good retort which merits some consideration, not a kick in the nuts. The guy is taking you places you haven't been to before and may be advancing the art in the process. You may not dig the direction. That's OK. You may feel that your insight was rebuffed; fair enough, you gave it an honest shot, he didn't agree, live with it.

But while it's cool to strike hard blows, it ain't cool to strike foul ones and that's where this discussion began to take a turn south.

Maxmil isn't immune from critique and in this case he responded to it with eloquent simplicity. That everyone may not agree with his aesthetic is not something which bothers him much, nor should it. He's a major contributor to this forum, he produces solid pieces and, uniquely, can cite an inspiration for each of them. The guy clearly marches to a different drummer and I like his beat.

Like pipedreamer says, respect each other and learn from each other.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I appreciate your comments very much.
Best regards.
Félix

Le agradezco mucho su comentario.
Saludos.
Félix
ronps wrote:Agreed.

We're all in the same game here.

I come here to look and to learn as a relatively new pipe maker and not a particularly good one at this point. But seeing the works posted here and taking in the critiques helps and generally helps, almost always provides food for thought.

By objective standards features of any pipe might strike any one of us as unusual or a deviation from the norm. In this section it's fair game to point that stuff out. When we post a piece for review, we can expect that.

It's also fair game to critique the critique, instead of merely bowing our heads and saying words to the effect of "thanks for the great insight". Doesn't happen often and when it does it's often a defensive reaction to an often valid point.

That's not the case here.

What we're seeing is what the artist intended. Somethings throwing your eye; good point. It's a design feature; good retort which merits some consideration, not a kick in the nuts. The guy is taking you places you haven't been to before and may be advancing the art in the process. You may not dig the direction. That's OK. You may feel that your insight was rebuffed; fair enough, you gave it an honest shot, he didn't agree, live with it.

But while it's cool to strike hard blows, it ain't cool to strike foul ones and that's where this discussion began to take a turn south.

Maxmil isn't immune from critique and in this case he responded to it with eloquent simplicity. That everyone may not agree with his aesthetic is not something which bothers him much, nor should it. He's a major contributor to this forum, he produces solid pieces and, uniquely, can cite an inspiration for each of them. The guy clearly marches to a different drummer and I like his beat.

Like pipedreamer says, respect each other and learn from each other.