No.10 Pipe for Critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RDPowell

No.10 Pipe for Critique

Post by RDPowell »

photobucket isn't working and I accidentally deleted all my post.
So I reckon just never mind. If there's a Mod here they can delete the entire thread, I'm done.
Last edited by RDPowell on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
rdpipes.briar.club
seamonster

Re: No.10 Pipe for Critique

Post by seamonster »

finish: looks great.... shaping is pretty good. the part that ruffles my feathers is the chin.. too pointy. I try to run one long elegant curve from the front of the bowl to the button. your line here has a bit of a kink in it.... smooth that out, and the shape will pop.... a little more of the back of the bowl, and you will have it..... what is the size of the button? looks maybe a tad tall, though I'm a button clenched, so I prefer them on the shorter side.... over all, this kicks the playground stuffing out of my number ten!
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The finish does look nice. Even the colors are good. ;-)

The biggest thing I'm seeing here is that you set out to make a bent pipe, but then made a straight shank. Let that bottom line on the shank swing from the shank face under the bowl and the chin won't look so pointy.

It also looks like there's either a hairline gap between shank and stem in the pictures.

For pipe number 10, this is good work, though!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Pipe has been altered from it's original state and the point is no longer there.
The gap you seen was only the stem not pushed all the way on, didn't notice it till after photos.
I can see were back on this subject of bent shanks, as I explained before not ALL bent pipes have bent shanks
some are just at an angle. Must I show photos again?
Thank you :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You should make pipes the way you want. If you wanna make pipes with backward cant and straight shanks, just know that it's not found in the Danish or English aesthetic. I think you should at least try it once to make a pipe with a bent shank. Then at least you can say with conviction that you made the shank straight because that's how you like it, not because that was the easy way out.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

sandahlpipe wrote:You should make pipes the way you want. If you wanna make pipes with backward cant and straight shanks, just know that it's not found in the Danish or English aesthetic. I think you should at least try it once to make a pipe with a bent shank. Then at least you can say with conviction that you made the shank straight because that's how you like it, not because that was the easy way out.
I didn't do it because it was an easy way out, you think I made a Cavalier cause it was easy or a orb bowl pipe, and not to mention this pipe.
If I wanted the easy way sonny boy I'd stick to straight pots or maybe make some ghastly Pokers.
The pipe in question was model after a Mastro De Paja Bulldog, it's not look'en like one is my fault but, the shank is straight.
I have over 350 pipes, obviously I don't take them into the shop with me or have a photographic memory but, I can sure
show you how many have straight shanks that are bent pipes. I love Italian pipes and that's where my tastes are, not Danish or English.
So leave me the hell alone and quite ankle biting every time I show up. Thank you :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Sorry. You asked for critique. No need to throw a hissy fit about it if you don't like the critique you get. Per your request, though, I'll spare you my critique in the future.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

What the hell is going on in the forums these days?
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by WCannoy »

Ratimus wrote:What the hell is going on in the forums these days?
Well, seems to me that folks are posting up their work on the other pipe forums and getting all the "oohs and aahs" and "that's the best thing since sliced bread" that is common and default for pretty much any pipe posted in those forums.

Then they get on this forum and get honest constructive criticism and feel like they are under attack.

This board is for learning.

When you do something right, there's not much need to point that out here. This isn't the third grade... there are no gold stars.

The goal here is to improve your work, so the things that need to be improved are the things that are going to get the most attention in the comments. Stow the pride, open up your mind, and soak up the criticism and advice like a sponge. That will get you where you want to be.

The longest route to becoming a great pipemaker is paved with nothing but praise. Take the route that has lots of signposts and maps to correct your course and help you get there quicker. That route is the folks here on PMF.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

WCannoy wrote:
Well, seems to me that folks are posting up their work on the other pipe forums and getting all the "oohs and aahs" and "that's the best thing since sliced bread" that is common and default for pretty much any pipe posted in those forums.

Then they get on this forum and get honest constructive criticism and feel like they are under attack.

When you do something right, there's not much need to point that out here. This isn't the third grade... there are no gold stars.

The goal here is to improve your work, so the things that need to be improved are the things that are going to get the most attention in the comments. Stow the pride, open up your mind, and soak up the criticism and advice like a sponge. That will get you where you want to be.

The longest route to becoming a great pipemaker is paved with nothing but praise. Take the route that has lots of signposts and maps to correct your course and help you get there quicker. That route is the folks here on PMF.
This.

Well said, Walt.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

wdteipen wrote:
WCannoy wrote:

This.

Well said, Walt.
Not true at all Wayne. I did a little fixing the pipe last night after getting the first critique and when I went to update the photos showing the fix I accidentally deleted the whole post and then photobucket wouldn't cooperate, got frustrated and didn't go any further. Truth is from the very first day he arrived here I didn't like Sandahl, he's a little ankle bitter in my opinion. And as far as Walt goes I really admire his work and don't understand the chumminess between he and Sandahl without going further speaking my thought's. I've always taken everyone else's critiques with a stiff upper lip and welcomed them that are willing to help as you have in the past. Now you all can believe that or not doesn't really matter. From the day I had words with George a lot of you just gave me the deaf ear from then on. It's bad enough this place is intimidating and cliquish but, to put up with ankle bitters I won't.
rdpipes.briar.club
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Ryan Richardson

Post by Ratimus »

Seriously though, I noticed the same thing, Walt. I was wondering the other day why all the "big dogs" haven't been so active these days, and this might be the reason. I wouldn't waste time and mental effort to give carefully thought out advice if people were going to get all huffy about it, either.
Ryan Richardson

Post by Houncer »

Jeremiah is an ankle biter? Damn. He is mentored by one of best in the business. Sandahl is one of the guys that offers his thoughts on nearly every critique. Thank him for spending time looking at your pipe. That’s time he could be spending with his family or his workshop or his pipes. Don’t ruin it for the rest of us rookies who realize our pipes really aren’t that great and are actually looking for help.
andrew

Post by andrew »

WCannoy wrote:

Thank you, Walt.
notow1

Post by notow1 »

For a while I could not get critiques on My pipes and then I found I could count on Jeremiah to give an honest opinion. If He tells You something and 2-3 people agree with His comments You know He is probably right. If You disagree just let it go, there is nothing lost or gained. The connection between Walt and Jeremiah is Walt being a wise old man that likes to help young people with no direction. :P :P :lol: . Norm.
DeanWakeman

Post by DeanWakeman »

Being the new guy here, I am very grateful of any advice or help & whether I agree with the comments or not, what they do is provoke me to look at what I have done from another perspective, at the start having confidence & belief in what you are doing is always going to be emotional especially when it is something you are passionate about

A lot of the folk's here have posted lot's of advice & video's & have spent many hours of there life helping people to get started or improve, Chris Askwith's video's as I have said before were priceless also Walt's advice on spending time drawing pipes is helping me, I really don't think these people would take this time to do this & then belittle people when they post there work, at the end of the day some here are hoping to sell there work which put's them in a market place competing against the guy's here selling there work, where else would you see people helping competition to improve there work which could possibly have a financial effect on them

What I like here is the no hold's barred approach to the critique, as said it is easy to post your work on a forum full of friends & get the big pat on the back, but are you really doing your best, take the comments on the chin & work harder to achieve perfection, surely that carries a much bigger reward
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Jeremiah has contributed quite a lot to the forum. Obviously he is passionate about making pipes and committed to the craft. If he wasn't, I doubt Walt would have anything to do with him. More often then not, he critiques all the newer members work, and his willingness to help others doesnt go unnoticed. Everyone should take their critiques and use them, no excuses.

Felt the need to say something,
Kiel
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You guys are too sweet. Makes me feel like I'm watching my own funeral or something.

But seriously, nobody's ever paid me for advice. And you get what you pay for. If you don't like my advice, my feelings won't be hurt. If it helps in any way, that's what I shoot for.

Now scram before you inflate my ego any more.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

RDPowell wrote:
wdteipen wrote:
WCannoy wrote:

This.

Well said, Walt.
Not true at all Wayne. I did a little fixing the pipe last night after getting the first critique and when I went to update the photos showing the fix I accidentally deleted the whole post and then photobucket wouldn't cooperate, got frustrated and didn't go any further. Truth is from the very first day he arrived here I didn't like Sandahl, he's a little ankle bitter in my opinion. And as far as Walt goes I really admire his work and don't understand the chumminess between he and Sandahl without going further speaking my thought's. I've always taken everyone else's critiques with a stiff upper lip and welcomed them that are willing to help as you have in the past. Now you all can believe that or not doesn't really matter. From the day I had words with George a lot of you just gave me the deaf ear from then on. It's bad enough this place is intimidating and cliquish but, to put up with ankle bitters I won't.
I wasn't necessarily agreeing with Walt as it pertained to you. To be honest, I didn't even read the rest of the thread leading up to it. I only read Walt's post (because I like reading what Walt posts and he does it so infrequently so I know it's going to be good.) I was agreeing with Walt in a more general sense as it pertains to the Gallery section. Sorry for the confusion.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com