Lazarus, back from the dead

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
calsbeek

Lazarus, back from the dead

Post by calsbeek »

Ok so here I post a pipe not so much because I'm proud of what it is, but because I'm happy with where it isn't...namely "in the trash can"

I mis-drilled this stummel, got pissed and threw it against a wall, breaking the shank off (classy, I know).

I pulled it out of the trash and inlayed a shank onto it with ebonite and briar. Then reshaped the bowl into something I hoped would be brandy-like. I figured while I was at it, I'd experiment with a stem inlay, so I added cocobolo to the stem.
Had I not misdrilled the airway, I'd have certainly taken more off the bottom of the bowl. Lots more I'm not happy with on this one, but I'm sure there is plenty more that I don't see. So have at it. Still learning as I go.

cheers
Attachments
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG (61.52 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
IMG_0808.JPG
IMG_0808.JPG (79.46 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG (65.36 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG (72.68 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
IMG_0805.JPG
IMG_0805.JPG (67.69 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Ratimus

Re: Lazarus, back from the dead

Post by Ratimus »

Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by calsbeek »

lol
I almost included this very link in the thread.
:)
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Yeah, I find that it doesn't do me much good to do multiple fixes if a pipe keeps running away from me like that. One or two issues, maybe. At this point though, I'd just be glad to have made something you can smoke while you contemplate not doing that again. :wink:
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by calsbeek »

that valid point notwithstanding, my goal was to try to come back from what I thought was a lost cause and learn something in the process.

criticism of how I could have done better (after the screwup) would be much appreciated. I can accept that you wouldn't have bothered.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Recovering gracefully from screw ups is best left to experts. I set my screw ups aside for now, because I can't make what I originally set out to make. Plan your work and work your plan is the surest path to improvement. If you keep taking detours, it will take you longer to arrive at the destination.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

So odd that after that whole thread on people not taking criticism well, here I can't seem to get criticized at all.
:)
Two votes for "you shouldn't have bothered trying" but still no direct feedback on how to do things better.
come on guys, I'm putting myself out there.

Like I said, I did this shank rebuild as a learning exercise. I have no destination except to get better and have fun. I'm not selling this so there was no risk.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

It looks like you recovered from your mistakes instead of setting out to make this shape. Asking for a critique on a pipe you recovered from is like asking if you hit the target when you don't even know what target you were aiming at. You missed he target here and it's obvious. I can't tell what you intended to make, because the bowl just looks like a blob without a clear definition between shank and stem. You've got something goofy going on with your shank extensions, and you have a noticeable gap between shank and stem. Absolutely fine to smoke tobacco from and keep in your shop, but it bears all the marks of having been a screw up. Next time, make sure you shoot for a specific shape and accept nothing but that shape as a success.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

calsbeek wrote: Two votes for "you shouldn't have bothered trying" but still no direct feedback on how to do things better.
come on guys, I'm putting myself out there.
This pipe looks like it was thrown against the wall and then fixed. Do you plan to pursue this shape in the future? If not, then take what you learned from making it and apply it to the next ones. If you are looking to develop this shape, your stem is really wave and has a strange bend in it.

The best advice I have ever gotten was to slow down. I recommend you to slow down and stop throwing pipes.

Kiel
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

kamkiel wrote: I recommend you to slow down and stop throwing pipes.

Kiel
Good advice. :)
I see now what I failed to see before, that sometimes things are so bad the only critique worth getting is "try again". I'll do that.