"Fire in the hat"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
carlMichael

"Fire in the hat"

Post by carlMichael »

I've seen so many nice and funny skull pipes when surfing around at the net. Decided to make my own version of it.
I think it came out well... so what do you think?

It´s not a Briar pipe, but its made out of masur ( curly ) Birch, steam acrylic and stummel ( ? ) stabilized Oak. Stand bone = reindeer antler and spruce.

So give me good and bad ;-)

carlMichael
scotties22

Re: "Fire in the hat"

Post by scotties22 »

The stem has a kink in the bend. You really want to work on making that one graceful curve from the stummel to the button. Can you post a picture of the button? There really isn't a shot where it's in focus. Sand the stain out of the tobacco chamber now that the pipe if finished.....just a little detail, but it really makes a huge difference in how the pipe looks.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

I am not sure about the toxicity of Masur Birch. I do know that it is not suitable for pipe smoking. It will burn very easily compared to briar. It also does not hold up to the constant change in heat and moisture like briar does.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
carlMichael

Post by carlMichael »

PremalChheda wrote:I am not sure about the toxicity of Masur Birch. I do know that it is not suitable for pipe smoking. It will burn very easily compared to briar. It also does not hold up to the constant change in heat and moisture like briar does.
The toxicity is no problem at all ( use it all the time in our outdoor cups here in Scandinavia ) and of course its not as good as Briar but it holds pretty good actually as I have tested it in my ever fist pipe http://pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewto ... 18&t=10621 the sides of the chamber no damage at all after about 50 times used. the bottom has of course carbonized some. So it works but not fore ever... see this pipe more as a fun art pipe than a utility one for heavy smoking. :fencing:
scotties22 wrote:The stem has a kink in the bend. You really want to work on making that one graceful curve from the stummel to the button. Can you post a picture of the button? There really isn't a shot where it's in focus. Sand the stain out of the tobacco chamber now that the pipe if finished.....just a little detail, but it really makes a huge difference in how the pipe looks.
Thanks! I've now sanded out the stain from the chamber :-) I see what you mean about the steams "kink" in the picture. in real life it doesn't look so bad.

cM
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

carlMichael wrote:
PremalChheda wrote: I see what you mean about the steams "kink" in the picture. in real life it doesn't look so bad.

cM
This is where taking pictures of your pipes comes in handy. Pictures don't lie and will show you things that you missed. Even if it doesn't look too bad up close it still has a noticeable kink in it. Bending stems is it's own art form and pictures of your pipes will let you know when you nailed it or not.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Do you drink really hot beverages out of these cups?
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I was surprised to hear from one of my collectors that he smoked my pipe 25 times in the first couple weeks. I don't smoke a pipe much more than 2-3 times a week myself. From that aspect, 50 times by a careful smoker isn't a sufficient test to tell if it will hold up to consistent use. I'm not saying it won't, but if it were me, I'd be smoking the heck out of it to see if I can get it to burn out. I never want a customer to have a burnout in one of my pipes.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
carlMichael

Post by carlMichael »

clickklick wrote:Do you drink really hot beverages out of these cups?
Yepp :-) Here is one of mine...
Cupknife100 (2)small.jpg
(96.78 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
cM
finster

Post by finster »

Now that's a handy cup! :D
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

carlMichael wrote:
Cupknife100 (2)small.jpg
cM
The bowl is a little too big, and there you go again putting straight shanks on bent pipes. :lol: :wink: :lol:
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by NathanA »

carlMichael wrote:
Cupknife100 (2)small.jpg
cM
That knife is really sweet. What does a knife like that go for?
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com