bent billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
notow1

bent billiard

Post by notow1 »

I was trying to pay attention to some of the things Walt mentioned in His post about making things flow better. If nothing else it made Me think about the design a little more. I don't know if this would be considered under bent but it seemed to look best to Me where it is at. I would really appreciate any opinions on the shaping and whether I need more bend in the stem, thanks, NormImageImageImageImageImageImage
JMG

Re: bent billiard

Post by JMG »

Overall, it looks like the bowl is too big for in proportion to the rest of the pipe. Also, you've seemed to put a little too much of a heel on it. Not a bad looking pipe though.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I just started my first billiard last night, so I can't offer much in the way of critique, much less on a bent billiard. That birds eye really catches my eye though.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
notow1

Post by notow1 »

OK I was only joking about the ankle protection. You Folks should feel free to post comments and advice, Norm.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The bottom line is off for a bent billiard. Basically, you want to "hang" your shank lower in relation to the bowl. The bottom line should rise more gradually at first, and the top line of the shank should swoop with the bottom line. The bottom line of the stem is spot on, but the top line is too flat towards the button. The top line should be continuous from the bowl to button. Because it flattens too quickly, the shank/stem junction looks fatter than it should.

Also, I think the bowl is too tall for the shank length and I don't like the bevel for this design. I think a flat or domed rim would fit the shape better. And it seems like maybe you didn't have the stem pushed in all the way for the pictures.

The finish is nice, though. I like the color choice and the shininess.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I don't think you necessarily need more bend in the stem, but you do need more shank on the pipe. Consequently, the bowl looks heavy relative to the rest of the pipe. I would want the shank to flow a little more out of the bowl than yours does. The bottom front of your bowl (the part farthest from the smoker) is lacking a little meat, and it's not quite danish yet not quite english in style. It may be an optical illusion, but your shank appears to be (which is effectively the same as actually being) narrower just before the bowl than it is at the stem - you'd generally want it somewhere around .01" thicker. Your stem/shank transition is a little too wide. You have a nice curve on the front of the bowl (except at the bottom), but this isn't reflected on the back of the bowl. There doesn't have to be mirror image here, but you do want to be sure they harmonize.

Your button doesn't look bad, and that's great. That seems to be the hardest or last thing that people learn.
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Thank You for the comments and advice. After I pushed the stem in all the way most of the faults went away. Okay they didn't but it helps when Someone points them out and I will use that knowledge. Thanks for the help, Norm.