1st dublin

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

1st dublin

Post by kamkiel »

Finally have had some time to post pictures for critiques. This is my first try at a Dublin. After looking at the pictures myself, the most obvious thing that jumped out at is the bottom line. I am struggling with getting a nice line from shank to stem, and need to really refine my symmetry. I forgot to get a picture of the button, but it is on par with my other stems(another thing that I need to work harder on). Critiques are more than welcome!

Kiel

calsbeek

Re: 1st dublin

Post by calsbeek »

Something I see is that the lowest point on the pipe appears to be directly underneath the tobacco chamber. I think you should have taken more off the heal and baked the lowest point up closer to the shank.

Very nice pipe.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

There appears to be just a bit more material on the right side of the bowl than the right from the picture with the shank facing forward. Other than that and what Calsbeek said, it's good.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Good eyes both of you! The bowl actually doesn't line up with the shank when looked at from the top and back. When I was shaping the pipe, the bowl ended up being turned very slightly in a clockwise direction.

The other mistake I made with this pipe is the mortise/tenon. I drilled the mortise out a little oversized and slid an acrylic sleeve into it. The tenon is delrin and twist back and forth in the mortise real good, but is just really hard to pull out.

Thanks for the critiques!

Kiel
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

Hey Kamkiel. Nice pipe, although i agree about the bottom line. Did you drill mortise and airway at different angles? if not, then it will probably be difficult to correct the bottom line with a good lift.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

BrianMadsen wrote:Hey Kamkiel. Nice pipe, although i agree about the bottom line. Did you drill mortise and airway at different angles? if not, then it will probably be difficult to correct the bottom line with a good lift.
Thank you. Yes the mortise and airway are drilled at different angles. I will do better on the next one :)

Kiel